Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Employers in NYC and California will soon have to post salary ranges on job postings

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Oct 30, 2022.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One would think that those who believe in markets would be on the side of more information so that people can make rational choices in their self interest, but here we are.

2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    It benefits no one. It is just a meaningless regulation. As you even note. Most companies already post what they offer.

This is such a dumb regulation that benefits no one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    How does this benefit the worker. I’ve been posting jobs for over 25 years and have put a salary or hourly range on every single one of them. The vast majority of companies have been doing it for years. Those that don’t post it will gladly provide it upon request. There is absolutely no legal or ethical reason for this to be legislated.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    The responses are lining up based on political ideological lines..

Big picture, you can’t really believe employees have the ultimate power in a system that for all intensive purposes, forces one to work to live, and that doesn’t guarantee decent paying jobs in every area of the country, regardless of the qualifications.

Sure, you could say No, but the option to say No isn’t preferable in many instances.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Your time would be better spent helping them learn to be on the lookout, prevent getting involved in stupidity, and to protect themselves.

My guess would be that these same people you mention get taken advantage of in several other ways/instances as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Have to work to live?? That is part of life dude. People aren’t entitled to have others support them. If someone is fortunate enough to have people help them, they should count that as a blessing. In our current culture it’s become chic to Accept and Complain. People take the help, then bitch about how much help they get.

Hell we had someone on this board last week bitching about how the people who fed him, wiped his ass, and educated him accepted a pediatrician’s recommendation to cut a little skin off his pecker. Jeez, people are ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    You still live with your parents?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Might be industry specific, but in my line of work they are almost never posted.
    10 years ago I got a job offer. I had looked around online and had an idea of that salary range. Their offer was 30k below that number. My industry was hit hard by the great recession, so without something official from the company on where they were right then (because the online info could have been years old), I had very little bargaining power. I had bo idea whether asking for more was going to mess up my prospects there, so I took it.
    When I got in, I found out that they brought me in only 2k above the bottom of the role’s range (which as it turns out was 70k wide at the time) which took me years to dig out from under. At one point I was making 50k less than some other people doing my same job.
    Those are the types of things this is meant to stop.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

What is being withheld?

You dont put EVERYTHING in the listing.

I mean should we require the employee to also legally disclose in writing that they are going to fail the drug screen before I spend money on it, or the pricey background check?

Maybe applicants should have to legally put in writing that they will call in sick a lot or abuse their pto schedule?

If we are going to attach legal penalties, lets fine those who lie ("withhold") on their resume and prove they dont have the experience only after the cost of onboarding.

This is a two way street guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Salary range is being withheld. The company knows it and holds it back for strategic reasons. That is withholding something.

In terms of the employees, if you commit fraud as part of the process, you can be held liable if the company wishes to do so.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I’m sorry for your situation. I’m sure that you did what you had to do. I do believe that this law will end up hurting more people than it helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. tilly

It becomes withholding if they refuse to disclose it upon request. But simply keeping a job listing vague isnt the same thing. There are a plethora of important things not listed in a job listing sometimes.

Again are you in favor or requiring that an interviewee be legally bound to state in writing if they will pass the drug test I pay for? Why are they allowed to withhold that info?

14. tilly

Is it also possible that some companies will see they have been on the high end and will lower entry wages?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Having shitty attendance isn’t fraud, but as an employer it would be a factor in the hiring decision if it was known.

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    No, it is withheld the second they post if they choose not to provide it. Withholding doesn't require action by the person who is not being given the information.

You can absolutely do that now if you wish.

17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Sure, which is why people sometimes request references. Outside of that, I don't think you can force somebody to disclose a completely non-spexifix thing (i.e., "shitty attendance"). But if you specify it and they lie, it could be fraud.

18. tilly

No i cant lol. I have no legal action against a failed drug screen for an onboard

19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    If you have somebody sign a legal document saying they will pass the test with a defined penalty if they don't, then you have the basis for legal action if the employee fails to live up to their conditions. Your failure to do so doesn't mean that you don't have the right to do so.

Heck, in many states, you can make the applicant pay for the test initially if you want even before knowing the results.

20. tilly

What constitutes a "legal" document? A resume and job application do not. You can lie on those with no legal penalty in most cases and the exception is if some great harm is caused and even that is pretty iffy.

Falsifying a college transcript would be illegal, but simply lying about it on a resume is not in most places.

My guess is the same applies to drug screens. It only becomes illegal of you falsify something.