Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elon Cleaning House

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Oct 27, 2022.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
  2. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    research shows lump sum investing has better returns. But, the research was done for the mkt not ind stocks

3. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Yes it is and perhaps I should have been clearer, they are trouncing the historic US car manufacturers.
    Ford
    GM

4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Only slightly through this piece, but it is filling in a lot of background for me:

Twitter rode this momentum to become one of the most important companies in tech: an all-consuming obsession for those working or merely interested in politics, sports, and journalism around the world. Frequently, the platform set the news agenda and transformed nobodies into Main Characters. What it lacked in profits it more than made up for in influence.

ON THE COVER

[​IMG]
    Photo-Illustration: New York Magazine; Photo: John Shearer/Getty Images

No one understood how to weaponize that influence better than Donald Trump, who in 2016 propelled himself into the White House in part by harnessing hate and vitriol via his @realDonaldTrump feed. A new consensus that the site was a sewer made it worth a lot less money. Disney CEO Bob Iger pulled out of a bid to acquire Twitter, saying the “nastiness” on the platform was extraordinary.

After the election and the blown deal, Twitter overhauled its content-moderation policies, staffed up its trust and safety team, and committed itself to fostering “healthy conversations.” Never again would it let itself be used by a tyrant to sow discord and increase polarization. Two days after the January 6 insurrection, the platform banned Trump; the company had seen the toll of unfettered speech and decided it wasn’t worth it.

This was the Twitter that irked Elon Musk so much that he became convinced he had to buy it. In his view, by 2022 the company had been corrupted — beholden to the whims of governments and the liberal media elite. It shadow-banned conservatives, suppressed legitimate discourse about COVID, and selectively kicked elected officials off the platform. Who better to restore Twitter to its former glory than its wealthiest poster?

Inside Elon’s ‘Extremely Hardcore’ Twitter

6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One other quote from the piece

While both companies flail, Musk remains glued to his feed. It was an outcome Alicia predicted back in April when Musk first floated the idea of buying the company. “He’s too interested in seeking attention,” she said. “Twitter is a very, a very dangerous drug for anybody who has that personality.”

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    By 2026, you will have your choice of multiple Toyota and Honda model EVs as well as other brands with much more robust battery life.

At that point, Elon's ugly cars company goes bye bye.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'm actually not sure of that. Tesla made a few smart business moves, most notably, they have a huge chunk of the supercharger business that they are currently leveraging to try to sell cars. The greatest risk to Tesla appears to be that they currently have a CEO who got bored with the company and ran off to manage a company that made no money, risking the company that stood a chance of actually making substantial money. And in doing so, he has potentially angered a chunk of his customer base, although their customer base is going to have to expand beyond political Liberals as they go through the growth stage of their product lifecycle, especially as they reach the maturity phase in a few years.

Tesla would probably be best served at this point finding a new CEO who has expertise in execution and who is actually focused on their business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Doubtful, as the left swears him off the the right will embrace him and his ugly cars.

Of the people that i know who have EVs the tesla drivers love them over the other brands. The other brands are a decade behind.
    Tesla isn’t just a car company they are a full on tech company if you thing they are standing still you are mistaken.

10. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    A recent poll shows conservatives like Tesla more now and liberals like it less but the righties still aren't buying his cars because they think EVs are a commie plot now.

So far, this sucking up to the MAGAts hasn't helped sell Teslas.

12. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    I can assure you from personal experience that EV offerings from Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes are not a decade behind. In point of fact they have leapfrogged Tesla.

On the low end there a Hyundai with 575hp that looks like an blast to drive. So unless you prefer the austere esthetic of a Tesla there are already superior options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Time will tell if these other companies pull off market share. The one you list are very expensive. I think the MB list is over 100k.

14. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    A Tesla model 3 performance costs 64K loaded up the comparable (performance wise) BMW I4 M50 is 70K. One is a go cart the other is the peak of refinement (at least for 70K). Tesla’s are not cheap a S Plaid will set you back well over 100k and for me the head snapping acceleration isn’t worth the crappy build, excruciating long in the tooth design and crappy interior. The fact is that Tesla has equally good competitors coming at them from the lower and mid end (Hyundai, Kia Genesis and Volvo). They’ve completely missed the pickup market. Not saying there’s not going to be room at the table for them but there are many many options and some of them for me at least are objectively better.

15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I can see what you’re saying.
    Tesla will have a truck soon, although the first prototypes were ugly IMHO.

Eventually the most ardent “anti EV” people will be buying them.

As far as Tesla the company they aren’t just a car company so I’ll bet their stock rises again.
    When Musk moves back to its forefront watch out for the pop.
    Big day will be when they report later this month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not making a prediction but Tesla could end up being to EVs what the Blackberry was to smartphones, a groundbreaking innovator that was ultimately left behind by the competition. Not suggesting that it's going to happen with Tesla but it is a real possibility.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    Unless he finds a new differentiator, that is a virtual certainty.

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Twitter is glitching. I just got an ad for the Bucs Cowboys game supposedly occurring 24 hours from now.

Earlier today, a Mina Kimes tweet said that it occurred 5 minutes ago and it was discussing the play that just occurred and the Giants Vikings playoff game