Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elon Cleaning House

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Oct 27, 2022.

1. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Is there any real data that shows Twitter usage is suffering lately? Elon claimed it is at all-time highs just a few days ago. I tend to believe him, because he posted the data and if he’s lying about it, there’s no way to get out of it as it’s in writing.

If Twitter usage really is up then I think predictions of failure need to remain on hold. As long as the traffic is there, this is definitely salvageable (at the very least). At the end of the day, traffic is going to determine subscriptions and ad revenue.

2. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    To be fair, we are not the only ones saying that Twitter might be doomed. Musk wrote that revenue is down due to advertisers leaving and literally said himself the company might not survive. That is also in writing. If you believe him when you tells you traffic is up, then also believe him when he tells you the company isn't doing well.

But I wouldn't say that traffic determines subscriptions and revenue. Subscriptions are only worth it they add value. Would you pay for a Too Hot Subscription just to get a green gator icon next to your name? ... even if Too Hot was still completely free to use otherwise and your subscription added no new content or perks? That's a hard sell. They only people who are going to pay for that are people who think they have something to gain by being "verified", even though verification has turned into a joke.

And traffic is surely a metric that advertisers like... but with the increase in traffic also came an increase in the use of racial and antisemitic slurs ... so that's another metric advertisers will look at if Musk doesn't get that under control. No wants their products advertised next to pro-KKK and Neo Nazi rants.

Elon just needs to turn the CEO duties to someone who knows that they are doing with social media, and I think it survives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Twitter dying would be a great first step.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    think the question has been, real people vs computer

5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Part of his master plan to make the world better.

I remember years ago he said he would buy something and just shut it down. A gaming platform? Facebook? Anyone remember that?

6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte

7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Gee, I wonder why advertisers aren't happy:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wasn't it Fort Nite?

10. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    That doesn't sound right, but it coulda been. My memory kinda sucks lol.

11. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Top execs leaving the company…..

“Here is what the Twitter lawyer wrote in Twitter’s Slack:

Everyone here should also know that our CISO(chief information security officer), Chief Privacy Officer and Chief Compliance Officer ALL resigned last night. This news will be buried in the return-to-office drama. I believe that is intentional.”

Elon Musk is putting Twitter at risk of billions in fines, warns company lawyer

12. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    As I mentioned up-thread, selling verification like this just isn't legally sustainable. The only reason anyone wants the blue check is because people understand it as a statement by Twitter that the account is authentic. To do that for years, and then suddenly drop all verification procedures in favor of a whoever-pays subscription model is going to create liability for any harm that comes from the very predictable confusion caused by these fake accounts.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a securities class action suit next week related to this Eli Lilly stunt. A lot of people lost money on that, and they can very easily point the finger right at Twitter for facilitating the distribution of false info under the company's name.

• Like Like x 2
  13. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "That's gold Jerry. Gold!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Tesla's margins are much better than the other automakers, so the valuation makes some sense.

Apple doesn't sell the most phones in the world, but they make a lot more money on every phone sold than anyone else, so much so that they're the most valuable company in the world.

Investors are banking on Tesla continuing to grow its sales while maintaining its high margins. Personally, I'm skeptical given how competitive car sales are, but the rationale is somewhat justifiable, particularly now that the price is down quite a bit from its highs.

15. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Both Tesla and SpaceX were doomed to failure for years and that was before people had an anti-Elon agenda. Both companies had numerous setbacks that cost well more than any setbacks Twitter has had during Elon’s three weeks (lol) thus far. Not to mention an app like Twitter can obviously be revamped quicker and with less cost than a space rocket. Took him four years to re-launch for their first success after the 3rd rocket blew up in 2008, surviving the Great Recession while he slept on the factory floor many nights.

But Twitter is doomed after three weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Tesla is obviously a successful company. However their PE ratio is roughly 60. NASDAQ 100 PE is roughly 23 and S&P is 20.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  17. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    PE ratio is actually 54.4 now and that’s down from 190 at the end of 2021. In general, premium companies trade at a premium price. Tesla’s growth potential makes it very much a premium stock, which is why it trades at a higher PE than the average company.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Hyggyhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggg be
    You telling the board you know nothing about investing with out actually saying the words. Impressive.

19. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    it was doomed when Elon paid $44B for it…

20. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Let me guess. You’re an expert in investing too.