Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elon Cleaning House

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Oct 27, 2022.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Fidelity must be thrilled that they invested in the Twitter debacle to maintain their relationship with Musk. Working out great for them, apparently.

2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Musk threatening to quiet quit. Irony indeed...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
  5. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Sounds like a combo of significant reduction in range and difficulty charging in severe cold....people sitting hours to charge only to die while waiting.

6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Something doesn't add up on the Tesla cemetary stories as teslas have battery heaters (the batts need to be warmed before charging in these temps).

I mean, Scandinavian countries have more Teslas than anywhere. Where are their graveyards?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Yeah. The article didn't have a lot of details but it sounded like issues with charging stations more than anything.

8. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Always find this thread entertaining.

9. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 GC Legend

Jan 5, 2010
    EVs lose alot range in very cold Temps, rough estimate at least 30%

10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Mine gets about 210 miles in good weather, about 150 when it gets closer to freezing.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    True. As do ICE vehicles*. The majority of the difference is due to cabin heating. ICE vehicles heat the cabin easily compared to EVs because of the massively inneficient nature (around 30% efficient) of ICE vehicles converting energy to heat rather than propulsion.

*ICE vehicles also lose efficiency (i.e., range) in cold air. Around 12%. A lot of that has to do with increased drag in the denser air (which would make that part of the EV loss as well, obviously, but perhaps to a slightly lesser extent as EVs are more aerodynamic). Also, pre-starting vehicles before departure to warm the cabin is common practice in cold temps. Decreasing range for both types.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  12. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I like Elon. I think he's a brilliant innovator and engineer. You couldn't pay me enough to drive an EV. Time is money. When and if they ever become more time efficient than the internal combustion engine, I'll make the move. Until that time, I'll let you all handle the beta testing.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    EV’s make sense as daily commuter vehicles, provided your commute is less than an hour or 50 miles or so. That actually covers the vast majority of people and use cases for driving. Can at least do a round trip with little or no range anxiety, and charge overnight when you get home.

They make far less sense for long trips, or high mileage Uber driver situations where they could run out of charge in the middle of the day. I think once the range is a legit 400+ miles this will be less of an issue. But even the vehicles with claimed 300 mile range it sounds like they often come up well short. Leading to issues like this. For 2 car households it might make sense to have 1 of each, depending on the length of commutes or what each vehicle is expected to do.

Right now I actually think plug in hybrids are interesting as some are hitting 50 miles electric only range (whereas before most had very limited electric range, like 10 or 20 miles). That could be the best of both worlds option for now. I haven’t looked that much into it yet as I’m probably a couple years out from buying another car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 GC Legend

Jan 5, 2010
    I want to see cold weather ranges of 350+

Disclosure I am also a (non Tesla) ev owner.

15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I wonder if Tesla did the heavy lifting and now Toyota et al will simply fly by?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Perhaps. I think Tesla is here to stay and probably at the cost of some other OEM.

Who ends up selling the most cars when it is mostly EVs being sold is anyone's guess, but this hit for Tesla is simply them missing projections:

This will once again be broadcast as the EV industry dying, when it's simply the logical growth of the industry. The 200% yoy growth was always going to shrink to something more reasonable, and as an EV only OEM, Tesla is taking it on the chin harder than others. They need to get better at forecasts.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Awww. Poor Elon.

Elon Musk Can't Keep Tesla Pay Package Worth More Than $55 Billion

DOVER, Del. (AP) — Elon Musk is not entitled to landmark compensation package awarded by Tesla’s board of directors that is potentially worth more than $55 billion, a Delaware judge ruled Tuesday.

The ruling by Chancellor Kathaleen St. Jude McCormick comes more than five years after a shareholder lawsuit targeted Tesla CEO Musk and directors of the company. They were accused of breaching their duties to the maker of electric vehicles and solar panels, resulting in a waste of corporate assets and unjust enrichment for Musk.

The shareholder’s lawyers argued that the compensation package should be voided because it was dictated by Musk and was the product of sham negotiations with directors who were not independent of him. They also said it was approved by shareholders who were given misleading and incomplete disclosures in a proxy statement.

• Informative Informative x 4
  18. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    He hasn't innovated much of anything. He didn't start or conceptualized Tesla. He buys ideas from other, smarter people.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1