Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elon Cleaning House

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think his hat is on backwards... :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Elon is free to do it. It is a company.

But why did he remove the badge? He is basically saying now you can’t trust it as real. It’s a way of diminishing their speech.

However I am only pointing out the hypocrisy. Not that I give a shit either way that he did it. He paid $44 billion for the company and he is free to set that $44 billion on fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I remember when tactics like visibility filtering were violating free speech according to right-wingers. Regardless, another moment of him shooting himself in the foot and further eroding the value of his company to own the libs. Seems like sound business strategy with other people's money.

I still can't believe that shareholders of Twitter made out like bandits by owning a social media company that never consistently made a profit because some guy got mad that he wasn't getting enough attention on it, and he managed to find people so sycophantic that they told him it was a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sounds like a bug ....the NYT badge came back after a few hours along with several other news sources granted badges after refusing to pay for them.

5. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    it’s not hypocrisy. The New York Times posted false information and people probably died because of the spreading of that false information. This is not the first time that the New York Times has done this. I think this is Musk’s way of telling them that they are on time out for their bad behavior

• Like Like x 1
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    First, what false information did they post? My understanding is that reported information and quoted Palestinian sources, that now appears to not be the case. I would argue they could have handled better, but I’m not sure I’d call it false.

Second, Elon is doing exactly what he criticized the social media platforms for doing, filtering speech based upon their assessment of the truthfulness of it and the harmfulness of it.

The fact that you can’t see it is the same thing just shows how deep in the bubble you have become.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I don’t read the New York Times, and you can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it is alleged that they posted an article that asserted Israel bombed a hospital. This was a false assertion. In the news industry, they call that a lie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    how exactly did Elon filter anyone’s speech? Maybe that is what I’m missing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I do read the times, but don’t recall the article. What I heard is they said something along the lines of “Israelis bombed a hospital, according to Palestinian sources”.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    are you trying to claim that some type of distinction? If they falsely post, “Joe Biden sold classified secrets to China, according to DOJ sources” then you would be ok with that too?

• Like Like x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    How would we know they are false if DOJ sources say it is true?

“Israelis bombed a hospital, according to Palestinian sources” Is a true statement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Ok. You do you. That is not the way I want to get my news…from terrorist sources.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Thank you for admitting I was right and you were wrong. That is very big of you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    you before you post….

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Yes that is very similar to my physique.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Happy Birthday thread. Turned 1 year old.

Looks like Tesla is having some issues related to market confidence being reflected in their stock.

Elon Musk loses $41 billion in 13 days due to market crash on EVs - Business News

On October 30, Elon Musk’s net worth took another billion-dollar blow. And the shocking news on the eve of Halloween adds raunchy skeletons to the scary arcade of disgusting news for EVs.

By 2:15 p.m., Tesla shares had fallen to $197, or 5%, from the previous closing level of $207, reducing the value of Musk’s 715 million shares and vested options by $7 billion in just less than five hours of trading. The decline deepens a sharp decline that began after Musk disclosed disappointing Q3 earnings and a poor outlook after markets closed on October 17. Since that date, Tesla shares have fallen 23%, losing $189 billion in market capitalization, and a steep decline. The wealth of the world’s richest person increased by $41 billion.

It is unclear what caused the huge one-day decline. But an announcement by Panasonic, Tesla’s largest battery supplier, that it is reducing production due to declining EV demand could be a factor. Or, the market could reevaluate Tesla as primarily a metal-bending carmaker, as opposed to the view that Musk has long promoted as a tech phenomenon promising software-sized margins. Tesla’s Q3 numbers, and Musk’s disappointing comments on the earnings call, suggest that Tesla’s profitability is rapidly trending toward its automotive peers, not the Oracle-like heights it is advertising.

17. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Not getting into if it’s false, so he will start blocking news orgs, gov leaders or countries posting “ false info”? conservatives have been screaming about being blocked for years. And the left have been screaming to block false info from other countries and racist posts.

block bad info. but conservatives should stop complaining when their conspiracies are blocked.

18. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    The entire EV sector, from manufacturing to metals extraction, has been beaten to a pulp.

Banks are doing their thing - claiming for months that we'll have a battery metal surplus in the coming years.

News is doing news things - proclaiming the death of the EV as sales "plummet".

But now, banks are starting to pivot back to projecting massive metal shortages in the coming years. Wonder what the banks did in between these two positions they held. Maybe to increase their stake on the cheap?

And the news orgs talking about the death spiral of EV sales? YEah - they're only up ~40% YoY instead of 200% YoY. Almost as if sales can't quadrupole every year. But their audience guffaws and clicks the banner ads - so it's a win for them!

19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  20. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Markets more saturated than those Chins batteries

meanwhile, I need a new diesel

• Funny Funny x 1