Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Electric Vehicle sales exceeding expectations

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by l_boy, Jan 11, 2023.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I well aware of California’s power issues having lived in Southern Cal and frequently visit for both work (three offices) and a couple of my best friends live there.

Frankly you should do a little research before making arguments like claiming you have to replace batteries every 5-7 years. Federal law requires them to be warranted for 8 years/100,000 miles. California requires 15 yrs/150,000 miles. Further, while batteries can simply die the much more commonly slowly lose capacity over time (2-3% degradation per year) so at warranty expiration there should be ~70-80% capacity/range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Lots of rich folks out there evidently.

3. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "While Current Automotive notes that most electric vehicle battery warranties go for at least eight years or 100,000 miles, there are still things that can happen to a battery that don't fall under these warranties.
    These warranties cover defects and manufacturing issues, but not damage that an owner might do.

This nearly $16,000 invoice comes from a car that struck a large rock on the bottom of the car, which caused the battery pack that runs under the car's cabin to fail according to Current Automotive. The car was completely bricked when it came in for repair. The rock strike was considered "other outside forces" when it came into the shop and thus, was not covered."

How much does a Tesla Model 3 Battery Replacement Cost? | Current Automotive

4. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    Thanks!!
    I knew what I read was skewed to worst case scenario. But was curious as to what was more realistic. So, if the data is believed by one side to put it at 20 years and the other side at 40,000 miles, 12,000/year so 3-3.5 years, it is probably safe to say the reality would be somewhere in the range of 7-10 years. With what some of the far-out climate folks predictions are, is 7-8 years before we passed the point of no return, by 20-40% of autos being swapped are we fighting a battle that is already lost?

5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    No, that is not two sides. You are discussing an earlier and later version of the same model (the earlier version is that 20 years nonsense, the later is still on the high end of estimates). The other models put it at about 13K. That is the other "side." So 1-3 years.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    I don't want this to turn into a full-on climate discussion, and concede that an EV, overtime, will probably be less environmentally impactful than ICE car. If it was a slam dunk that in 12-14,000 miles EV's are net neutral, that would be the song being sung a hell of a lot louder than it is. We don't really know. The article you linked said 40-93,000 miles. That is a huge variance. And I'm not sure we really know the total long-term impact of the mining for metals needed for batteries.

7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That is not what the article I quoted said.

Again, you are talking about the model that has the highest estimate of all models.

And they do push the environmental benefits of EVs heavily.

8. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Well given we try and run the grid on old infrastructure and thin margins, nope.

EV’s or not

9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    As I mentioned earlier I suspect electric vehicle adoption will also increase home back up power adoption, especially if there are hiccups in the grid.

10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is my understanding that it take energy to separate the hydrogen to create he hydrogen fuel, and that you refuel at hydrogen fuel stations. The car doesn’t just suck in air and convert it to hydrogen. Thus the infrastructure required to have hydrogen fuel stations.

Hydrogen might make more sense for big rig trucks, and has significant promise for overseas tanker ships.

11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The technology changes will be much more rapid with an electric ecosystem and they will likely become comparatively more efficient, batteries will become cheaper, etc. The comparison in 10 years will look a lot different than the comparison now

12. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So it got in an accident and insurance covered it. Cool. It also has nothing to do with the time interval you choose to complain about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    How’s the cost of auto insurance compare EV vs fuel?

14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Don’t know for sure but I don’t see why there would be a difference.
    Car ins is based mostly on the value of the vehicle and the driving record of the insured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I think with inflation its the $82k question though right? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Dont EV cars charge off hours when most people are sleeping? Most electronic equipment draws minimal power these days... lights draw less power... the big power hog has to be heating/cooling a bigger house size, an expanding population in warm climates, and the kitchen/laundry. I'd have a hard time believing charging cars at night is the issue. But maybe.

17. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Being the smallest but most abundant element. Storage is difficult and if you think lithium fires are bad wait till hydrogen cars wreck and a spark happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Yup. Ignoring the inefficiency and complexity disadvantages of HFCEV, there are massive safety issues in the storage, delivery, and on vehicle safety of hydrogen.

Water by product sounds great until you realize you'd drive in a "rain storm" every day (being behind one is akin to the car ahead of you running their windshield washers non stop).

And we haven't even gotten to delivery infrastructure. There are currently I think 45 stations in the whole country and 44 are in California. It's so bad the only real HFCEV on the market, the Toyota Murai, is practically given away through subsidies and once owned, they sit idle because fueling is too difficult. We'd have to create hydrogen station infrastructure out of whole cloth.

Comparatively, there are about 60,000 charging stations (around 120k gas stations right now)* and an untold number of home charging stations. That number can easily grow as electricity is strung to nearly every corner of the land.

The logistics and costs of improving existing electrical infrastructure is a small fraction of what would be required to establish a hydrogen fueling network capable of supporting the whole fleet.

It's possible HFCEV tech could find a home in long haul trucking, where infrastructure would "only" be required along interstate highways, but my guess is that too will prove too costly and burdensome especially with the ever increasing efficiency and decreasing costs of BEVs.

19. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    This is what I was referring to in the article you linked.

University of Liege researcher Damien Ernst said in 2019 that the typical EV would have to travel nearly 700,000 km before it emitted less CO2 than a comparable gasoline vehicle. He later revised his figures down.

Now, he estimates the break-even point could be between 67,000 km and 151,000 km. Ernst told Reuters he did not plan to change those findings, which were based on a different set of data and assumptions than in Argonne's model.

20. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Sounds like a good technology but where can you get Hydrogen and how do you get it in your car? I think everyone understands plugging an outlet into your house to charge up.