Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Electric cars?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Mar 9, 2022.

1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    This is the real problem. There isn't enough infrastructure, charging stations, etc, to make such a fast transition to electric. Look at Texas' grid once again in the news for asking folks to conserve electricity during the warm weather. Not winter or anything. Just normal weather. Maybe Abbott should've used the funds from his idiotic illegals traffic stops towards that, and spent less energy stomping on women's rights and more on fixing their infrastructure issues.

2. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    On top of that...Bay Area EV Charging Stations Not Working Properly
    No telling how prevelent that is in cali.

3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The information on the battery technology was interesting, but I can only imagine the environmental costs, footprint and cooling needs for these theoretical battery farms that would even begin to allow more use of clean energy sources.

Unfortunately we have a federal administration that is pulling in two different directions in mandating/encouraging EV adoption, and at the same time increasing environmental review restrictions that will hamper a quicker roll-out of new power generation whether that be from clean energy or not.

4. back2back2006

back2back2006 GC Legend

Mar 1, 2017
    Shallotte, NC
  5. officelife

officelife Senior

Aug 11, 2017
    Epoch Times...

The Epoch Times opposes the Chinese Communist Party,[32][33][28] promotes far-right politicians in Europe,[8][10][28] and has championed former President Donald Trump in the U.S.;[34][35] a 2019 report by NBC Newsshowed it to be the second-largest funder of pro-Trump Facebook advertising after the Trump campaign.[30][36][28] The Epoch Media Group's news sites and YouTube channels have spread conspiracy theories such as QAnon and anti-vaccine misinformation,[39] and false claims of fraud in the 2020 United States presidential election.[42] In 2020, The New York Times called it a "global-scale misinformation machine".[34] The Epoch Timesfrequently promotes other Falun Gong-affiliated groups, such as the performing arts company Shen Yun.[23][43][34]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Lithium is the likely limiting factor. And by 2035, CA aims to stop selling ICE cars and sell only new, electric cars. There still we be thousands of ICE cars on the road, and for sell as used cars in the state. As well as likely ICE cars for sell in Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona at the time.

One of CA's hopes is better battery technology by 2035. Magnesium batteries, for example, have the potential to carry more energy at a cheaper cost than lithium. The tech isn't there yet, but very well may be by 2035. And magnesium is cheaper, and wildly more available than lithium.

Certainly, CA's no new ICE vehicle sold by 2035 is a stretch goal. But sometimes that's the best way to try and reach something that seems otherwise unattainable.

7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Point of information for those who argue that EVs are too expensive.
    Chevrolet Equinox EV: GM unveils $30,000 electric SUV that will be one of the cheapest EVs available - CNN
    Personally, I do not expect electric vehicles to completely replace ICE vehicles and although they currently represent a very small percentage of total vehicles sold, I expect plug-hybrids to gradually replace pure ICE vehicles for situations in which pure EVs are impractical. It also seems that the vast majority of criticism of EVs, including the cute little YouTube clip is based on the assumption that technology and infrastructure are static from capacity of the grid, to number of charging stations and length of time it takes to charge an EV to battery technology. Just one single response, technology is evolutionary and sometimes even revolutionary. Just using batteries as an example, it's not only possible but very likely that the current lithium-ion battery technology will be completely replaced by more advanced technology in the future.
    The Future of EV Batteries
    The Road To An EV Battery Breakthrough

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. back2back2006

back2back2006 GC Legend

Mar 1, 2017
    Shallotte, NC
    So basically you have no comment about the battery issues and climate destruction that goes on to make said batteries. I thought you guys cared about the environment no matter the human cost.

9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Please provide your source for the statement about normal weather in Texas. It would be interesting to see their logic. Texas has had a brutally hot summer with multiple successive days in triple digits with, I believe, around a 3-4 week drought.

Texas residential homes particularly in the northern areas are generally equipped with fireplaces to supplement heat to reduce electric consumption. The reason that heating generally uses more energy is that they typically try to run their heat about 30-35 degrees above ambient outdoor temp supplemented by fires. This summer, they have had long stretches where they were trying to cool houses around 30 degrees below outdoor ambient with no supplement.

To try to portray this summer in Texas as “normal” really doesn’t pass the smell test.

10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Jewel, the largest grocery chain in Chicago carries the Epoch Times in their racks. Grabbed it once just to see what it was all about. Total whack job publication. I think it's operated out of neighboring DuPage County. I routinely turn the first copy over so no one can see the headlines.

11. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Reading through the 1st page of posts here from not so long ago, I am wondering about @icequeen and @g8rjd and hoping all is well with them.

12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So you're assuming that battery technology will remain static and that the percentage of electricity generated by fossil fuels will remain constant? I happen to think that battery technology will evolve eliminating or significantly reducing the battery issues and that in the future a much smaller percentage of electricity will be generated through the burning of fossil fuels with renewables (solar, wind, hydro and possibly tidal and geothermal) and even nuclear filling in the gap.
    Tidal power - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
    Geothermal explained - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
    3 Ways to Make Nuclear Power Plants Faster and More Affordable to Build
    The Future of EV Batteries
    The Road To An EV Battery Breakthrough

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    My understanding is that it won't qualify for the $7,500 tax credit due to being foreign manufactured, so it will be competing with other US made EV's that cost ~$37,500.

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hmm, so it is just another abnormal heating event? Interesting. Given how many of these are going on around the world, it is almost like there is some unnatural warming going on. Globally, one could say.

15. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The requirement is not the US but North America. It will be assembled in Mexico so it should qualify for half the $7,500, not sure about the battery half.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Not globally, just that region. Weather most other places has been quite normal this year. In fact, like most September afternoons, I am looking out my window waiting for the thunderstorm to light up before I head home.

17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hmm, it has? Because this seems to suggest otherwise:

Heatwaves and Fires Scorch Europe, Africa, and Asia

18. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So now we are back to breaking heat records is just "normal weather?" If saying Texas' records is "normal weather" doesn't pass a smell test, why does it pass a smell test to say that the highest temperatures on record in Spain, Portugal, France UK, Tunisia, Iran, etc. is "normal weather?"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  20. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Heat records get broken every year in different places. Specifically, this year, Texas did. Don’t throw up some slanted article as justification that the very abnormal weather in Texas this summer means that the earth is on fire.