Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Electric cars?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Mar 9, 2022.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tesla is already becoming the standard. By the by the next model year (2025) EVs produced by Ford, GM and Toyota among others will be using Tesla connectors and Ford will be offering adapters in the very near future so that it's current EVs will be compatible with Tesla superchargers.
    https://media.ford.com/content/ford...n-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html
    Tesla Superchargers Will Soon Work With GM EVs: What That Means for You
    Toyota Adopts the North American Charging Standard to Expand Customer Charging Options - Toyota USA Newsroom

2. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Then I rented a bolt. It wasn’t luxurious but it was a good daily driver. If it could charge anywhere, I would seriously consider getting one. My understanding is everything is going to the Tesla charging standard in 2025.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Although it wasn't all that successful the Volt was probably the first plug-in hybrid. It ran solely on a battery-powered electric motor for up to its 53 mile range (the actual range was usually less depending on conditions) after which it ran on the gasoline engine.

4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The now have a Bolt EUV, a crossover SUV version of the regular Bolt.

5. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I rented the bolt. It was like 25 dollars a day on some sort of special. Only place I could find to charge it was at a Chevy dealer and it took an hour and a half. My girlfriend broke up with me when we got back, coincidence?

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. jovannixv

jovannixv Recruit

May 18, 2023
    Fixed it after you hit the quote button apparently. I meant in NTX.

7. gator_jo

gator_jo All American

Aug 9, 2024
    I love my Bolt. I like small and simple. After the tax credit, it essentially cost about 20k out the door.

It gets 300 miles a charge and Chevy gave a free level 2 charger, which would basically charge it 100% in a single night.

We mostly use it as the daily driver for each of us, so there's never any problem charging. I could see the inconvenience when going more distance though.

We save about 10 cents/mile, with about $6.50 for a full 300 mile charge. So we save about $100/month. I guess that will add up.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I bought a Tesla and I just love it. It is fun to drive, so quiet and no gas bills. Yes you pay for electricity but you can charge it up when you are not driving. Also, if you are making a long drive you can partially charge for like 20 minutes and it will get you back to about 80% charge. The recharge times are not much different that gas refilling times.

9. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My brother has a Model Y with full self drive and it’s a pretty amazing car even if the interior is lacking and the ride a little rough. I’m envious of the auto driving compared to my Rivian. Night and day difference.

But the charging experience has been great owning EVs. Only on longer road trips do I wish they charged faster. I’ve come to enjoy the extended breaks from driving but on a 7 hour drive I sometimes want to get going faster.