Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Draft Alito opinion leaked overturning Roe

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, May 2, 2022.

1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Thank you. I wondered the same. Alito seems to believe the 10th amendment is more important than the 9th amendment.

3. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Susan Collins is miffed. She said that (depending on individual votes) this means that the assurances she got fro Gorsuch and (I think) Kavanaugh while talking with her in her chambers were disingenuous.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    stuck into gerrymandered areas defined to determine the outcome and then given the lesser of two evils to choose from

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Utter nonsense. You know, the usual.

6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Watch Heidi Schreck's What the Constitution Means to me on Prime. That summary is reductive and illogical

7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    she doesn't understand the definition of disingenuous. She means they lied to her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    That’s the debate no? Everyone agrees a woman has the right to choose… up until it’s a life.

I would argue all of us are hard core pro lifers. Once you deem something is a life you’d protect it just as much as I would.

10. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Alito in this decision summarized: A British lady in 1732 went to jail for killing her fetus and nothing in between then and 2022 should matter.

11. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes. Clearly there is no consensus on when life begins… hence why this debate exists in the first place. If we all agreed it began at say 14 weeks then there wouldn’t even be a discussion about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I have not fully read Alito's draft yet, but the implications could be interesting based upon the comments I'm seeing. The Court in Pierce v. Society of Sisters struck down a law requiring that kids go to public schools only based upon a finding that parents have certain liberty interests under the 14th Amendment in how their children are raised. Of course, those words are not spelled out in the 14th Amendment.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  13. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    I have no issues with contraception at all and I would venture to say most do not.

When it comes to abortion it is understandable to have the opinion of when a fetus becomes viable outside of the womb. I will say medical advances continue to shorten the period of viability outside of the womb. What differences that occurs between full term versus premature I can't say. Nor can I identify a degradation of development based on length of term say 26 weeks or vs 40 weeks as an example. That is something the medical community has to determine.

As to when life begins from my perspective life begins the moment of inception. This is my personal view as without inception there is no life. Of course we know the pregnancy is not viable at inception but it is the beginning of life. Without inception there is no pregnancy no life. That is not to say I am against abortion in all cases and it is understandable why a female may require or want an abortion for any number of reasons that she they can justify for herself. What I will say is thankfully I'm not an OB/GYN as my leaning is toward life and I would have a very difficult time justifying an abortion that by all indications would carry to full term. Given such a situation I would have to say sorry not me but other OB/GYN doctors will provide such services talk to the head nurse for references.

That said if Justice Alito's leaked opinion holds the laws of abortion will be determined by the individual States. What those laws will entail will be varied without doubt. It doesn't mean abortion will not be available in the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Forget when life begins, the question should be, does the women have autonomy over her own body? Even if this means that given this power, it could mean a choice to end a life? If a person is in dire need of a transplant to survive, and there is only one, potential donor match, would we force the potential donor to give up their organ? Or would we argue the person has autonomy over his/her own body, and could tell the dying person no, even if it meant certain death for the person needing the transplant?

A fetus is solely and completely dependent upon the woman's body for life. If the person who doesn't want to give up an organ for a transplant, why should a woman be forced to share her organs for 9 months if she chooses not to?

Then there's the practical matter. Outlawing abortions doesn't lower abortion rate. For those with means, they simply travel to areas where abortions are legal. For those without, a thriving black market pops up and takes care of this demand, with the outcome being more botched attempts and complications. Is every major hospital having a septic ward to take care of botched abortions truly better for society?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I just googled it and looked at one of the first ones to pop up. I have no idea on that site's political orientation. Is the Heidi Schreck a show on Prime?

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes. It not "legal", and biased, but it covers this ground extensively. But that summary is trying to mislead. If I have time later I will address it in greater detail. Spending time I should not now because I'm more interested in this than the things I should be doing

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    I don’t see how you can argue bodily autonomy as an enumerated right given dozens of dozens of laws going against that. Drug laws, helmet laws, seat belt laws, the draft, vaccine mandates, etc. The evidence is massive that it is not a enumerated right and has not been treated as such throughout our history.

Should it be? I personally wish it was. But you can’t possibly say bodily autonomy right exists for abortions but doesn’t exist for other things. That defeats the entire definition of a right

• Like Like x 1
  18. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I want to say that the discussion in this thread so far has been very civil and a big thank you for that. Knowing this happened last night I was dreading opening the thread up this morning. Thanks, everyone.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Really a decision based on religious indoctrination over the years. When does life begin? Oh my. Much like the term will of the people, it tends to get used when we need to push our views on another.
    Now if life begins at inception, then there cannot logically be any exceptions nor death penalty.
    I wish abortion was never needed, but as an old dude, any argument I could make, a woman could counter and then trump with it is my body. Let women decide and the men snowflakes can have a crying game if they are so offended.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  20. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Bodily autonomy has never been a right. Dozens of dozens of examples. Many the left push and many the right push.

And you cannot argue for woman’s right to choose and ignore the question of life.

Clearly you cannot go murder someone right now? It’s your bodily autonomy, no? Obviously you’d say you can’t because you’d be infringing on the life of another.

So clearly the question on when that rule should begin is one that is of utmost importance