Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dolly Parton only donates 1 million dollars to hurricane Helene victims

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 1980gator, Oct 7, 2024.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm glad you started this thread, I've had the opportunity to learn more about Dolly Parton. For instance, I didn't know that she started a foundation to help kids learn to read and write in honor of her father who never did:

United States - Dolly Parton's Imagination Library

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...way-books-she-just-donated-her-100-millionth/

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Do you really think you're getting a coherent answer to this? Read the original post. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Dolly is good damn people, to the core.

Of all the skank celebs out there to bitch about, you actually picked one of the very few who's genuinely good, and about her actually doing good...just not good enough.

You'll love this sewer!

You fit right in!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 1980gator

1980gator Sophomore

Sep 22, 2022
    Hey CHFG8R,
    Was it not obvious what the point of the original post was? Dolly made a small contribution in comparison to what she is worth. And I don’t understand why politics were brought up in all of this. I never said anything about politics.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Which "enemies" and "non-allies" are we spending all this money on? Also, how much money and to whom? No need to get too specific (I know you MAGA types struggle with that), just give me a couple names and a ballpark figure. And, you know, something tangible to back the claim up.

Needless to say, we won't be holding our breath on this one.

6. 1980gator

1980gator Sophomore

Sep 22, 2022
    There are a lot of A**holes on this board. I regret coming over here. Mods feel free to lock this thread.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    No one sees your point, I guess. Maybe try to make it more clear?

Is it simply that she didn't donate as much of her net worth as you feel she should have donated? Aren't there probably 300 million + americans that are in the same boat?

You could have started a thread about nearly anyone and complained about their under-donating by your standards.

We're not even questioning your standards, we're questioning why you would choose such a high-character person as Parton to attack in this way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ok, but isn't that $1M more than any other big name entertainer? Maybe others have donated and haven't gotten the press for it but so far she's it. Oprah is worth $3 Billion, gave nothing so far. Taylor Swift is worth 1.3B, gave nothing so far. Dolly isn't even in the Top 10 wealthiest female entertainers and she gave $1M more than everyone else. She donated 1/450 of her net wealth. That's also on top of over 10% she donates to causes every year. Shame on you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    No, what I said was if you want to throw jabs at people it can easily be returned. It's a dumb game to play. Yes all govt wasted money. If they're gonna waste money it should be on disaster relief and not performative bullshit.

10. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Too Hot delivers.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Congrats, you're right there with basement Billy in accomplishing something nobody else could. Unite Too Hot for a common cause.

Dolly is a saint.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe next, you can start a "Steve Spurrier, what a bum he was!" thread and congratulate yourself on getting a bunch of reactions there, too.

• Like Like x 3
  13. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you own a mirror?

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Dolly probably gives a million dollars to quite a few causes. Shameless, I tell you.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    You write as if this is the only donation Dolly has ever given. We know that is not the case. Even with respect to the hurricane, we don’t know what else she has done. Regardless, this is $1 million more in relief effort than existed before she gave it.

Some people on this thread have perhaps been too harsh to you. However, this topic is a no-winner.

The reason politics was brought in is because it’s a fundamental law of the TH universe that every thread must bring in Donald Trump. It’s just the way it is. We have to live with it. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm pretty sure the OP is taking a well deserved vacay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    It's honestly pretty amusing when a new poster shows up and is just unaware of the nature of Too Hot. Who wouldn't start dropping F bombs? It ain't for the thin skinned

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    It's hard to know when people are serious or when it's a matter of "Let me post something that a bunch of people will say is ridiculous, then I can accuse them of getting their panties in a wad! Is that cool or what?"

19. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I think most people are used to talking politics with people that generally agree with them. So they drop in to Too Hot with what they assume is a well balanced, logical, thought out position and expect a lot of "attaboys." And we have seen how that goes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah it’s this, happens constantly. People come here with the 10000 percent belief that their opinions are right because they’ve lived in an echo chamber their whole life. When people push back, give differing opinions or Pom t out how braised or even wrong their sources are, they get mad, cross the line, get banned, and then blame everyone here for being mean. It’s funny to watch each time because the outcome is so predictable.

• Winner Winner x 2