Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do you lock your doors?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorFanCF, Oct 15, 2024 at 5:40 PM.

Do you lock your doors at home?

1. Yes. I lock my doors AND I have an alarm system

2. Yes. I lock my doors but no alarm system

3. No - my doors are not locked

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    In this metaphor, the lock is indicative of having the will to use it and to keep your person and Property safe as well as knowing who is coming in and occupying your home.

The best lock in the world does nothing if you don’t use it Same with millions and billions of dollars spent without having the will to enforce it

2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    50% of the population do not support open borders. Such a statement could only be made by someone grossly uninformed, a liar, or an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    What would you do to enforce it? Deport hundreds of thousands of migrants per year? We have done that every year since 1997. And yet, the border is still "open." Almost like the problem isn't the lock or lack there of. Which is why this always moves to a metaphor rather than a specific policy. We spend billions each year, billions more in infrastructure, deport tens of millions over the last few decades, and yet, none of it works to your satisfaction. Maybe, the problem isn't the lack of enforcement.

4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There is very little crime where I live, but it’s still suburbia. So I lock mine, but don’t worry about an alarm. I have accidentally left it unlocked for days, didn’t panic over that either. Heck I’ve forgotten to put my garage door down for days too, no issues.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Hah. Thank you, sir, may I have another?

I’ll rephrase: 50% of the population supports a political party that effectively (until election time) has allowed open borders.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Don’t have to have a lock. Many here have mentioned having big dogs. Others have alarms. Some have positioned their homes in such a place or such a way as to make block unnecessary.
    Same goes for the boarder. It’s not a one size fits all.
    Remain in Mexico worked. It wasn’t perfect but was a start. A wall in some areas will work. Drones, boarder patrols, etc.. there are many avenues to help secure the boarder… but as mentioned in thread there is no way to make it crossing proof. So we just throw our hands up and say oh well? No.. we do the best we can and make it as secure as we can.
    In the news today there are 3 illegal immigrants that crossed over and were told to report for a hearing and then let go. They never reported ( surprising I know) and spent the last year sexually abusing a minor u see age 12.
    Why were they let loose? Because of our laws and systems in place. It needs to be fixed. It needs to be tightened. Demond systems that were working to stem the tide. Now we have a flood.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    We lock our doors. But a few years ago, I was visiting an old friend in Satellite Beach. As we headed out, I commented that he didn't lock the door. he said he wasn't sure he had a key. Didn't even lock it when he'd been out of town for two weeks.
    He'd been in the house for 6-7 years at the time.

8. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    This is the dumbest metaphor ever. A lock doesn’t stop people from coming in if they really want to come in. The people at the border are desperate - a “lock” isn’t stopping them.

if you really want to continue this metaphor you should think about what stops people from coming into a house uninvited - social pressure and fear of consequences.

1. social pressure - we are taught not to go into other peoples property from a young age. We are taught to respect people’s stuff and property. This is reinforced at a young age. So really only people with bad intentions, desperate people, or people raised with different backgrounds will ignore that social pressure.

2. fear of consequences. We have laws, guns, dogs, police, etc. so a big deterrent for entering a house is fear of consequences.

I won’t keep doing all the work - but maybe try to use your brain and come up with a better metaphor using some of that.

9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Please define what you mean by 'open borders.'

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Love downtown Deland. My favorite little restaurant is Bake Chop!

We lived in suburbia for 18 years and locked up, now in downtown, I definitely lock my doors at night. I also have a gate to get in the backyard where the garage is.

11. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    My pup would probably try to get an intruder to rub her belly...

I think a lot of folks overestimate the efficacy of their dog protecting them or sounding the alarm.

That's why I keep a 10mm handy. The lord's caliber..

• Like Like x 1
  12. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Bake chop is a little over a mile from my house. It’s not my favorite I like more ambiance in a restaurant.

13. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    What I don’t get is this fear of highly trained highly prepared highly equipped robbery teams. If someone is going to rob me he is going to be some stupid drug addict looking for a fix. My dog protects me from that.

Now a highly trained attack team isn’t going to target my house and if they did they would be competent enough to wait for my house to be empty.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    We have in issues with kids here. It's probably like that everywhere, but it's weird reading the local news and seeing reports of armed 13 year olds in stolen cars.

Last year, an 11 and 15 year old pulled an armed robbery of a guy selling a Playstation. The 11 year had a gun and shot at the man after they took the the Playstation.

About a month after buying my first home, this happened. In currently looking to sell and then move back out into the country.

Screenshot_20241016_075638_Photos.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    We have the constitution to deal with here. I feel like a broken record, but what would work is more border patrol, more judges to expedite processing and vetting, and high tech border security. Wait....

• Like Like x 1
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Should we talk about fences and how we handle security for people entering our property? We have no security check points for our property, some of it is fenced off (with no security), and most of it is fence free where we do not track who comes across our borders. In fairness, if somebody does comes onto our property, we do not consider them residents. We do occasionally hire people not from our property to do work on our property, but that is only when we can't find someone on our property willing to do the work for the amount of money offered.

Fences or houses, it's still going to be a tough analogy.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    That still isn’t 100% acccurate, but is much closer and good enough for government work.

Approx 50% of the population supports an adjudicated rapist who is a convicted felon and claims the election was stolen and that Immigrants are eating cats and dogs and intentionally crushed immigration reform because it didn’t suit his electoral purposes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    If I'm leaving for work or there's no body home, then lock it up. If we are home and just puttering around the yard or watching TV during the day, no. Lock it at night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Yeah I lock my van down by the river at night, are you crazy. But the river isnt a gated community so we have open borders.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 8:52 AM
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I think you are forgetting who you are talking to here lol. When the deficit becomes an issue again, we are going to get credit card metaphors!

• Funny Funny x 1