Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DL/Edge and OL Analysis with Portal Needs

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Donzo, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    As CBN closes out portal additions for the spring roster, I thought having one spot to discuss the DL and OL would be good. The DB room is still gonna be pretty active with the portal, so I want to wait until we have a better idea of what the final spring roster will be before analyzing them.

I must admit, I'm liking the DL/Edge room. Need 1 or 2 more edge guys and I’m liking what we’re seeing based on planned visits as of 12/30. I’ll make a final breakdown after Jan 18th when we’ll know the spring roster.

DL/Edge is so tricky now. Ten years ago teams ran 4-3 or 3-4 defenses with NTs, DTs, DEs and OLBs. Now with multifaceted schemes, we have 1s (NT), 3s (DT), 5s (DE) and Edge (can be an OLB or hybrid DE/OLB). For now I’m gonna list the players and their position. Besides Watson, they all have at least two positions. The players:

Watson 1

Jackson 1-3
    Lyons 1-3
    Banks 1-3
    Boireau 1-3

Slackman 3-5
    Taylor 3-5

Sapp 3-5-Edge

Collins 5-Edge
    James 5-edge
    Searcy 5-Edge
    Hill 5-Edge
    Boone 5-Edge
    Ivory 5-edge
    McCray 5-Edge

Pyburn- Edge

I’m gonna wait until after Jan 18th to evaluate and estimate the depth chart. The one spot we can look at today is 1 (NT) spot:

1- 1st Jackson, 2nd Banks, 3rd Lyons (projected starter at 3), 4th Watson, 5th Boireau and some decent PWOs here, too… Really like this group. I don’t see how there can be complaints here.

1/6 Update: The OL is simpler. Still have OCs, OGs and OTs. Like the 16 in place now.

What’s really good is the ENTIRE OL, all 16, are here for spring- just awesome. Also have a good set of walkons here as well. Looking to have a 20-man (16 scollarship) OL for spring... Back in the day spring practices and the spring game had issues because there weren't enough OL. SOS ran a spring game with 9-man (3 OL) teams.

The portal additions of OTs BCD and Manuel coupled with the OG departures of Mazz and Leonard has evenened out the OL structure: 7-OGs, 6-OTs, 2- OT/OG swing and 1-OC. There will be a lot of cross training at OC this spring. It's been reported Simonds was kepts around to be OC2.

Could make a pretty good WAG at the depth chart, but I’ll wait until Jan 18th when the spring roster will be set:

Slaughter OC

Williams OG
    Harris OG
    Kearney OG
    Lovett OG
    Simonds OG
    Masdoll OG
    Portnjagin OG

George OG/OT
    Waites OG/OT

Barber OT
    BCD OT
    Manuel OT
    Jones OT
    Westphal OT
    Williams OT

We’ll know a lot more about the structure and depth after spring. Marcinko's article is a good read.

What to make of Florida’s offensive line room | GatorCountry.com

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  2. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    The defensive front has a lot of snaps under their belt. The new Dline coach has a lot of talent to work with. They look very good on paper and should help the other 2 levels.

3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    On paper, we look pretty good at DE...DT is a ? until we see if Slackman can play at this level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    So far I like Jackson, Lyons and Slackman getting the most reps at the 1 & 3. I like Banks for 8-12 sanps a game as the back-up 1. We'll see who else earns PT as a back-up 3.

Myself, I'm over watching Watson chug around at over 400lbs. If he's over 395lbs, I wouldn't play him.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Suspect the new strength guy will make or break Des. Despite his FSU gaffe I thought Lyons was our second best DT last third of the season

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Quality depth is a must. An injury or lack of conditioning and we are back to playing tweener DE at DT and wonder why they are failing. It has been the way for too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bogator

bogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    It has and this is one of the main things that separate good teams from not so good teams.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019

Probably already posted but figured why not again

• Like Like x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The key on offensive line is Are we going to see real development and improvement in the guys we have. We have the bodies but nobody seems to get better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    At least one of the true freshman last year has to start in year 2 and would expect several to now be in the 2 deep. Spring enrollees that year will now have second Spring and Summer if S&C. Have to be much improved and ready after finishing 2 years in our program. If not, we will have probs in future

11. pigpen

pigpen All American

Aug 30, 2023
    Love to see Dez at 375 to pair with Jackson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    What?

Wondering if Barber and Slaughter know they're "nobody"?

13. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    We've come a long way from not being able to field a complete Oline to real competition at each spot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. zman-1

zman-1 GC Legend

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    Crenshaw, Waites, Slaughter, George, Manuel or Barber