Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DJ Lagway is built for the SEC!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Mar 8, 2024.

1. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Oh, come on now...you gotta give credit where it's obviously due!:p

• Funny Funny x 7
  2. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    It might be useful to consider that those things are not necessarily exclusive of one another.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Lagway already tosses the ball with authority. He looks like a returning starter to me. Obviously he'll have to adjust to the speed of the college game and learn the offense, but what a quality character kid and athlete. It's great he'll be learning under Mertz, and I sure hope Napier will have packages for Lagway. Mertz could be shining in a game and fans will scream out for Lagway. Should be interesting. So stoked this man-child chose the Gators.

Seems like some of the early reports are saying the energy is completely different. I mean different than just the typical early optimism. Whelp, year three, I truly hope so. Praise be to God. Improvement coming to Hogtown. Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise...

Go Gators.:eek::p:D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
  4. HomeGrownGator

HomeGrownGator Senior

Jun 4, 2007
    I like the ball placement I’m seeing in that video. Looks like he’s hitting receivers in stride.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Come on now, 1 person, not fans. Anyone with any common sense knows that the young guys are seeing plenty of time and opportunities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    DJ is nowhere near as fast as AR but he's a very quick, powerful and agile runner has more escapability and better instincts running the ball. His only published 40 time was 4.7 and from his clips, he didn't separate much from defenders on long runs. He's probably closer to 4.6. In that respect, he's more like Tebow than AR. The biggest difference is how polished DJ is coming out of high school. His accuracy on short to medium routes is elite. He puts the ball where the receiver can catch it and often with space to run. So many of his long TDs were fairly short passes followed by long runs. His off-platform throws are Mahomes-esque.

He's our number two QB and should be our number two in '25. Billy has said there are special packages for him so I think we'll see plenty of DJ this season.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    He can really sling it around.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I'm so confused.
    You said CBN plays experience over talent.
    When pressed you said it was how he handled AR.

So are you saying you wanted a freshman to play over AR during AR's one and only season with Napier??
    Or did you get confused between Napier and Mullen, but didn't let that stop you from bitching anyway?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. These are good points, but the difference will be the heavily QB-run oriented offense run by Gainesville Eastside HS versus the run-and-gun offense used by Willis HS. Lagway had to make more sophisticated reads than Richardson. Granted, Lagway’s offense was probably not as complicated as the one Mertz ran in high school, and certainly not as complicated as the one he will be running at UF this year. Also in a head-to-head comparison of high school stats it is apparent that Lagway is a much better passer. Physically they are rather similar but with different passing mechanics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Everyone healthy, Lagway's package will expand as the season develops.
    Mertz may have limitations but he is in position to make the most of his gifts.
    Enjoy the process.
    I feel like Ed O right now. "Fooball, fooball, fooball!!"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I imagine that he will get some stats building packages next year. He'll have something like close to 1,000 passing/rushing yards and a 85% completion rating, and he'll account for about 10 TDs, so that he has some real stats as a true QB1 for next year.

He will be given easy yards... and he will look good doing it.

That's what I would do for Lagway... But this year is all about revenge... and Mertz has EARNED THE RIGHT TO START.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. dg8tor

dg8tor Recruit

Aug 9, 2017
    Loving most of what I see from Lagway through his high school film, and now, limited practice footage. He has great size (wingspan and hand-size too), effortless velocity, quick release, can throw with touch, catchable ball, and he routinely hits guys in stride or at least in the proper timing of a route. As he adapts to the speed of college play, his ability to anticipate windows and subsequently pull the trigger will ultimately determine his ceiling. Really looking forward to see how he performs within the framework of this offense.

AR had many similar attributes, but he struggled at times to anticipate and execute in synch with the play call and his weapons. It wasn't all on AR, our porous pass protection definitely contributed. Nevertheless, AR routinely relied on his overt athleticism to improvise and extend plays. The great plays were great, but the missed opportunities and mistakes were too frequent. I really hope AR develops his decision-making speed and elevates his mental game to match his insane measurables. I am rooting for him!

I don't think its stretch to say Lagway is quite a bit ahead of AR at this point on a mechanics level. Additionally, DJ's demeanor and leadership qualities are prototypical for what you want at QB. I don't think he has the physical gifts that AR had (who does really?), but he appears to be a much more polished QB at this stage of his career. If I had to be critical, I see a tendency to deliver the ball a little bit hot and high at times (btw, Mertz leaves it up at times too), and his release point at times can be low and a little side arm. Granted, for all I know, he may intentional be trying to emulate Mahomes-like traits like varied arm angles, releases, and footwork. It's really hard to justify criticism as flaws with the limited amount of game footage available. I'm just mentioning a couple of things I'm sure others have seen on film.

Not many freshman come in consistently produce, so it's going to be very interesting to see how Billy utilizes and develops him this year (I believe he will play in every game). His multi-threat abilities and quick release adds something extra for defensive coordinators to plan for every game. While all the Tebow 2.0 utilization scripts seem probable, DJ is not Timmy. There will be some overlap and the unavoidable comparisons by the bobble-heads, but DJ is going to carve out his own legacy. I hope when he's done the Gator's trajectory is reestablished and another number is eventually added to the ROH! Is that expecting too much?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    AR is notably faster for sure. He is also a phenomenal athlete by any standard. FTR, I also believe that DJ is less likely to score from 60+ yards in a single run play than AR. But again, at this same point in their careers, DJ appears to have a clear advantage in his mental command of the game, mechanics, and in executing the nuances of the passing game. I also don't see DJ as the kind of guy who is likely to jet at crunch time to save himself for better things than standing with his teammates for the ENTIRE season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Great observations, Strange. Tebow always took a brief pause or feigned a run, and while he wasn't fast, he sure was dangerous on foot! Lagway being 241 helps too. I remember a lot of Defensive backs cringed tackling Tebow. Too early to tell in the college game, but it would appear that Lagway has a superior release. The ball kind of snaps out of his hand. I guess being fast is one thing, knowing how to use the speed you have is another.

Probably the best college QB that was fast and illusive was that LSU guy last year. Every time they show his highlights it's always him running through a gazillion Gators too. Ugh.

Anyway, it's all very exciting...

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    Definite NO on the last question. But he probably won't stay at UF either unless we hire someone really good at developing QB's.

16. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    It's a shame Lagway didn't come along in 2015. We could've really used him that year. Might've made the difference against the gumps in SEC champ game. Sadly, even if he is great, I think in our current situation we will still not win any champs while he's here. Another great talent wasted due to bad timing.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    Decisionmaking and accuracy will be the keys as to whether he turns out great or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    Lagway is 5* elite quarterback and is miles ahead of AR coming out of high school and it's not even close. Lagway as a true freshman would out produce AR's one season as a red shirt junior.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Tebow may not be a 4.38 40 but he is plenty quick with great instant acceleration and change of direction. Lets not forget the guy turned in a top 5 number for any position in history of the combine in the 3 cone drill.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1