Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Disney scraps plans for new Florida campus, mass employee relocation amid DeSantis feud

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, May 18, 2023.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Bro, the vast, vast majority of major corporations aren't "woke." They're just not stupid. Being bigoted isn't profitable. The more people who want to purchase your product, the better. It's called capitalism.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Clearly, elected federal and local officials don't represent the will of the people. Only the governor does.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The timing makes sense since DeSantis has just started shutting down our construction industry.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The term woke, assuming woke started out as “awareness of racial injustice” - it now seems to have expanded to being anti-gay rights and anti-feminist. So basically, all inclusive everything social conservatives don’t like.

In that context, I’d actually argue virtually every major corporate and entertainment product business is in fact “woke”. You are left with WWE and Hallmark channel movies. But some will probably call them woke too. :emoji_joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Had no conversations. But can only imagine those who had businesses and jobs that relied on Disneyland being open…

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    You know who doesn’t like elections have consequences, businesses. They like continuing trends in management for planning and long range plans. The most fubar orgs I ever worked with had new directors every few years. Impossible to get anything done with new ideologies every few years.

See congress

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Don't affect them? The letter was written at the behest of, and in support of, Disney employees. Who are most assuredly Florida residents.

Honestly, where do you come up with this stuff? Non-resident...:emoji_rolling_eyes:

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Drugs do terrible things to people’s minds…

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    & great things too! Gotta pick the good ones. But, I would caution waiting the 6 years until you are an adult.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    You must be referring to our Governer putting a stop to illegals working in our state. About damn time

11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Raising the question what are the current crop of DeSantis and Trump supporters on?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I would have no problem if it was a nationwide cooperative effort to eliminate illegal workers. DeSantis doing it unilaterally is only going to hurt Florida. I'm glad it makes you feel good, because all Floridians are going to suffer with rising costs

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This happened in Alabama over ten years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens in Florida thanks to Meatball Ron.
    Alabama immigration: crops rot as workers vanish to avoid crackdown
    Or in California around six years ago when Trump cracked down.
    California Crops Rot as Immigration Crackdown Creates Farmworker Shortage
    By way I'm not in favor of open borders, I just think the more rational approach is easing the process of obtaining temporary work permits for agricultural workers as well a worker in other occupations in which there is a shortage of American workers or immigrant workers with permanent residency.
    Speaking of DeSanctimonious it doesn't strike me as being very prudent sending Florida National Guard troops to the Southern border in Texas during the hurricane season.
    DeSantis to send Florida National Guard soldiers to Texas for border security
    DeSantis to Send Florida National Guard and Law Enforcement to Texas Border | National Review

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Sometimes I wonder if you really went to UF?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Maybe in the short term. Blue culture is New York, California, Chicago, etc. Those are not exactly the cheapest places to live. Disney can go to one of those states and take all the Democrat voters with them who want to move there. Keeping Florida red will keep costs down in the long term. And Florida will be a cheaper state to live in long term because of it.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    If it hasn’t happened yet………

17. Shade45

Shade45 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why are Floridians allowing this clown to get away with all of this damage.

18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    @flgator2 you laugh but undocumented immigrants are leaving sw Florida out of fear of being arrested and deported. Collecting citizenship info at hospitals has them scared for their kuds being hurt and then deported.
    Cooks, dishwashers, heavy equipment operators, asphalt guys, concrete, roofers, framers, plumbers and their wives who clean hotels and bnb's and work at fast food, home health care etc are leaving town, with a 3% unemployment and $20+ per hour starting wage environment. Who is going to fill that labor void? This is real, it is happening.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    For all of you Democrats up north who want to move to Florida and help stop DeSantis here is a map to help you get down here and help Disney:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This is accurate. If you chase away the educated people and good jobs, Florida will be cheaper. Look at Alabama and Mississippi.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1