Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Disney scraps plans for new Florida campus, mass employee relocation amid DeSantis feud

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, May 18, 2023.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    “Woke goes to die” means two things to me:

1. Where compassion and empathy go to die, which my upbringing makes me believe is a horrific thing to be proud of or preach; and
    2. Where people awoke die, which if you think about it closely, means you better go to sleep or you’ll die. I’d rather be awake, but that’s me.

Your second point, about people feeling badly for Disney, is in my opinion confused. I don’t think people feel badly for Disney. I think most people on this side feel strongly aligned with Disney’s right to have the freedom to speak its mind. More than feeling “badly for Disney,” I think it is better stated that we are angry at DeSantis and his puppets for punishing Disney for speaking its mind. At least that’s the way I see it.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Since Disney is a national company and the will of the people is with Joe Biden, wouldn't you say that Desantis is going against the will of the people?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Completely agreed with the first part of your post. As far as the second, part of the gamble DeSantis is taking here is businesses still feel equally or less threatened by him than Democrats.

And I like the odds on that.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. Congratulations. :D

5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    My post was directly tied to the loss of $1 billion in the long term construction of a Campus, as well as the loss of 2,000 high-paying jobs, all located in Orlando. I supposed that deep down you’d agree that Orlando would certainly like to have a $1 Billion dollar construction project, followed by 2,000 jobs, into its City. I think you’d agree that is actually an economically impactful land-use project.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree that everything Trump tweets is BS but what really matters is whether Republican primary voters buy into it and based on the polls they apparently do.

7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    We'll be okay.

But if you're a resident of Orlando who hates this, I highly suggest leaving.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    That's right, just look at our borders

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I’m not. I live in South Florida. We won’t be impacted at all. Doesn’t make me less angry, though. Wish it did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Poor Disney.

The mean man hurt them.:oops:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    The road to radical communism is paved with baseless hysteria. doc

p.s. BOO!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Well, I want you to be happy and Florida ain't changing.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Pence piling on....

“I just don’t believe it’s in the interests of the people of any state for a government to essentially go after a business that they disagreed with on a political issue,” Pence said.

Disney publicly opposed the so-called “Don’t Say Gay” law last year, setting off a series of moves by DeSantis and his allies to punish the company, which culminated in Thursday’s loss of investment for the state.

“At the end of the day, the business of America is business, and I’m not terribly surprised to see Disney canceling a $1 billion contract,” Pence said. “That’s only going to harm people in the Orlando and Florida area, and it’s one more reason why, as a limited government conservative, I’ve said for months now that I think both sides ought to stand down. Take the victory for parents’ rights in the legislature and move on.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...cel-florida-contract-amid-feud-with-desantis/

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    This type of pathetic, weak, spineless “attack” is why Trump steamrolled through the candidates in 2016.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If this were a stronger "attack" everyone here would be citing that as evidence of an even greater danger with DeSantis and authoritarianism.

Part of the reason this is so tolerated by a lot of conservatives is because:
    1. Democrats have a tendency to intimidate businesses into submission or silence
    2. He's just revoking privileges that the vast majority of businesses in Florida don't even have, this is by no means a strong attack on them. And that's part of the point. It's not meant to cripple Disney, it's meant to send a message and influence the culture.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s like Pence is trying to forget or whitewash that he was actually part of the Trump admin. Cognitive dissonance. He’s got it bad.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    no con supports the radical commie pubs. where's Will Smith when all 7 of us cons need him?

18. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Everyone seemed to glom onto the will of the people part of this post.

I was more shocked at the "guest of the state" part. Not a very conservative idea to suggest industry exists only with the blessing of the state, now is it?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Please. Pence is attacking on a campaign trail. This has nothing to do with anything other than campaign fighting. Pence wants to run for the same office that DeSantis seeks, and that’s the only reason he’s opening his mouth. And to that end, it is a pathetic,weak-kneed, spineless nothing burger. Watch the difference between Trump’s response and Pence’s.

Part of us “libbies” as your buddy Bluke likes to refer to us so often, are not thrilled with a Biden administration, and hope that someone steps up from the Republican Party that represents something more moderate, less reactionary, and palpable. But the Pubs keep serving up extremism in the form of MAGA, which I find repulsive in every form. So it is in that context that I’m bothered by DeSantis competitors who are weak, pathetic and spineless. Because they stand no chance in the vicious field of play of the Primaries.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Disney is a California corporation, headquartered in California, who probably does more business in California than anywhere else... who also happens to do a lot of business in Florida.

That is a guest in the state.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2