Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Disney scraps plans for new Florida campus, mass employee relocation amid DeSantis feud

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, May 18, 2023.

1. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    You should read a bit further. Those tax credits were to be spread out over 19 years and the overall spending by Disney would have topped 17 billion and created 13,000 jobs. As you know, Disney kicks in 1.1 billion dollars a year in tax revenue. Admit it, this is stupid political grandstanding by DeSantis.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    That tax incentives has been discussed several times, including by me. The tax incentives shows how much Florida and Orlando wanted Disney to build the Campus, and how much of an economic impact the construction of the billion dollar project, along with the thousands of jobs (and all of the other attenuated growth and tangible benefits (restaurants, markets, residential construction and sales) to the community that such a massive project would have). And Disney nevertheless elected to burn the Project because, allegedly, it felt so unwelcome. Honestly, who can blame them?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I mean, simply, judges should not be selected based on ideology. Yet, that is how the judges were selected by McConnell.

Judges should be selected by nonpartisan committees. Judges should never be vetted based in ideology. Conditioning the selection based on membership and speeches at the Federalist Society should not be the factor.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The tax incentive itself is pretty strong evidence that the economic impact to the region would be in the Billions. The loss of thatCampus Project was a huge loss to Orlando, regardless of the reason.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    What about the NAACP? Again, Democrats play this same game and frankly I think they're right to. This is where Democrats actually understand their role and Republicans don't.

You should have both sides zealously advocating for the judges that see things their way. But the system should work in a manner that both sides acting zealously are forced to meet in the middle or nothing happens.

As far as your suggestion that it should be selected by a nonpartisan committee, that sounds good in theory but:
    1. Not sure if that's Constitutional as this is a Constitutional duty that may not be delegable (I'm not sure, I'd have to do some research on that).
    2. Even if it was, I really don't trust any committee to be nonpartisan. And once you have a partisan committee favoring one side under the guise of nonpartisanship, you've made the system more prejudicial despite efforts to do the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The concern is that in getting pushed around, he is getting pushed deeper into the right-wing bubble.

Unfortunately I've seen this happen to two friends since Trump came down the escalator. One of them got fired from a six figure job in the Pacific NorthWest for using a company affiliated twitter account to call for killing groups of people he thought were bad for America, and now hosts militia trainings on a cattle ranch he bought in Texas. None of us know where the other went, but he has disappeared from the places we used to be able to find him.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    True enough, nothing is perfect. But when we see the fundamental and dangerous imperfections that cause giant cracks, repairs need to be made. And I am eyes wide open and open to all suggestions to get us back to a better path to select the people in charge of checking the very branches of government that selects them and appoints them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    If the consequences come from the government, then it isn't free speech.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That's the problem.

Now that the filibuster is gone, the only way to bring it back for judicial picks is with the consent of the Senate. And do you really think any Senate Majority is going to want to impede their own ability to select justices and judges they like after the other party presumably just did the same thing? I highly doubt it.

Let's say the party in power in the Senate gets their picks in and brings the filibuster back just before an election cycle where they know they're losing the Senate. Once that cycle is over, the new party will just remove it again because they know exactly what they were doing.

That's the danger of this game we're playing, neither side trusts the other to play fair.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I would never advocate for violence. And I wouldn't make political statements on behalf of a company unless they asked me to.

11. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Sounds like your opinion. As I said, slippery slope. If ever there is an ultra liberal court, there is now a really good chance Heller will be overturned. What's good for the goose? This is why the court needs to be balanced, it was working so well. Women will and most likely are dying because of this abortion decision, along with that unborn fetus. Has anyone really won?

Don't take away Americans rights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Though I don't doubt some of you guys really want a court in the middle, Democrats don't. They want their guys on the court, the system just historically worked so that the outcome just happened to yield justices in the middle a good chunk of the time. And that system by the way still yielded some pretty terrible outcomes, and still yielded some biased Supreme Courts, so it's not like the fact that "Roe was decided by justices who went through the system when we had the filibuster" is an absolute defense for Roe.

I really can't say it enough times, if you like how the system used to be, blame Harry Reid. He's the one who took that genie out of the bottle.

Yes, the unborn fetuses that otherwise would have been aborted I would say have won.

13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No, it's because you lack even the most basic grasp of 1A law, something I studied in law school and that comes up in my practice periodically, to even begin the conversation. Your posting history strongly indicates that even when confronted with the relevant facts, or in this case it would be the law, you will stubbornly cling to your ill conceived notions.

Nothing suggests you will be any different on this topic, so no need for me to bother to try to educate you. Besides, the lawyers will get a chuckle out of seeing how confused you are and how you continue to to defend that confused position.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Nah. After his POTUS campaign flames out, he'll slink back to Tally as a lame duck and in 2026 he'll find some gerrymandered US House district where he'll waltz into office and then spend his waking hours on Fox.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Yes it is. Disney is Free to Speak. Just like any government employee is Free to Speak. But there can be consequences for that Speech.

16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Instead of addressing the topic. You provide this I am smarter than you chest thump. You know there are lawyers that disagree with your assessment of the case.

Let’s wager a beer. You get Disney wins a First Amendment lawsuit in this case. I get Disney loses a First Amendment law suit in this case.

As you know in law. This could go either way.

17. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Even government employees can't be retaliated against for their speech by the government, provided the speech was made as a private citizen rather than in their role as a government employee. Disney is not a government employee, so this weak effort to justify violating Free Speech doesn't even apply.

Garcetti v. Ceballos (2006) in case you want to educate yourself.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  18. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I don't see it as a win for the fetus.

But, I'm actually referring to those women with medical issues like abruption of the placenta, placenta previa, amniotic fluid embolism, intrauterine death, ectopic pregnancy, preeclampsia, and birth defects that also affect the mother later in the pregnancy. It's not black and white like you guys want to think. When they say it is a woman's health issue, they aren't referring to those women who use it like birth control.

Again, when you take away one group of Americans rights, you leave everyone else vulnerable. Lucky for the black Americans too many years have gone by to make them property again, right? Right???:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You don't see the fetus having the opportunity to live as a win for the fetus? That's an interesting one.

Even Florida crafted exceptions protecting the mother in life threatening situations. The notion that this is about protecting women suffering from life-threatening health complications from the pregnancy is a complete red herring.

But not enough years have gone by for people to stop denying fetuses their humanity.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  20. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Disney gets special privileges. Disney pushed a false narrative about the Government (State of Florida). Guess what…there were consequences.

DeSantis definitely took this farther than I thought he would. And Disney as well. Both sides have dug in. But Disney is Free to Speak!