Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Disney scraps plans for new Florida campus, mass employee relocation amid DeSantis feud

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, May 18, 2023.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    if you stifle free speech, you don't know the will of the people. pretty much the logic behind 1a.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't usually correct grammar/spelling but, in this case, it actually changes the meaning of your post.

Mullah - Wikipedia

Slang terms for money - Wikipedia

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and those disney legal fees aren't going to be cheap

4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Still pay less than California taxes.

And this is a better cause than whatever California is using that extra money on.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    Just think if Universal, Sea World, and all others came together with Disney right now, Little Ron would shrink lower than his 5'2" ht. Disney can ride this train to the end by themselves but if the others join them, well, you do the math. So many gay people work in all of those parks that nobody wants to listen to little ronnie about this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    hmmm. & yet you understood what he meant. may wanna go back to the side lines after your failed attempt at school marmin'

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Disney wrote a letter, as far as I know. Are businesses not permitted to express opinions? Is there another way they "threw their weight," around?

Your boy Ron was just wrong. Gross overreaction on his part. Just how thin is his skin, anyway? Considering the taxes Disney pays, and the multitudes they employ, not to mention the economic coattails for much of the state, DeSantis should be puckering up in close proximity to a certain mouse's butt.

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    MAGA Land

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    They're entitled to express their opinions.

They're not entitled to special tax districts.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Gloves are off. And DeSantis is WINNING. He single-handedly prevented $1 Billion of Woke Construction dollars to be spent in the Free State. Even better, he was able to stop thousands of people from coming into this state to be paid good wages, stopped them from buying our homes, eating in our restaurants, paying their taxes and most of all, from wokening in our Free State!!!!

• Winner x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Florida is where woke goes to die and normal businesses go to thrive. Feature, not a bug.

I have mixed feelings about Disney and a big piece of me still really loves them, but anybody who feels bad for them over this thing with DeSantis is a moron.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    What this state needs is a little more cowbell.

And a little less rat.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    does Desantis operate you with a hand up the butt or is it done via strings?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    You kidding me?!?!?! He is WINNING!!!

Imagine, if it weren’t for the brilliance and forethought of our blessed Leader, we would be cursed with:

Construction workers getting paid top dollar on a long term project.

Professionals like engineers, architects, designers … all dangerously close to receiving Woke money.

An otherwise stagnating residential real estate crisis would be hugely aided by the influx of thousands new families needing new homes.

And … think of the restauranteurs and local businesses!!! They were gonna have to sell their goods and commerce to people who made money from people who made money from people who made money from Wokeness.

Thank heaven we avoided that catastrophe!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Or , Disney not trying to override anything. They just voiced their opinion in support of their employees.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You have the right idea, but I think you're getting to the wrong conclusion.

We're becoming a country where everything including business has become politicized. Business has always been tied to politics to some degree, but it generally used to be exclusive to areas that directly impacted the business itself. Now, it's these generic corporate values that really just virtue signal to a certain segment of people even if it insults everyone else.

The outcome: businesses with conservative values will move to Florida, and businesses with woke values will move to places like California.

Florida remains more than attractive enough to attract businesses to replace Disney. It may take time, but if there is a demand for more business in Florida that demand will be met.

I didn't want a culture like this where everything was politicized, but here we are. And this is the fallout.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Dear Lord, what will Florida do?

Run while you still can. Get out while the getting is good.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    well yes, of course, if there’s money to be made, business will fill that void. Short term there will be a loss of ready money investment like this. Long term, it will be more reflected in what type of economy you have.

ETA: Few businesses, regardless of their politics, want to face the prospect of state punishment and impairment of their investment-backed expectations for exercising protected speech.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    For whatever it's worth, the only reason I said anything is because he used that particular spelling. If he'd said "mula", for instance, I would've let it pass. He didn't seem to have a problem with it and I think I could've come up with something a bit more clever if I'd really wanted to play gotcha.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1