Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Disney scraps plans for new Florida campus, mass employee relocation amid DeSantis feud

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, May 18, 2023.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Sad the way that organization compels so many poor people to tithe 10% every week while they have hundreds of billions in the bank...all tax free

2. middleoftheroadgator

middleoftheroadgator All American

May 19, 2023
    You are deliberately playing dumb to shield your argument. Desantis has admitted to punishing Disney for its political speech. Don't play word games. It is obvious and doesn't change the bottom line...Desantis is using his government power to punish disney for exercising their FREE speech. You have also admitted this...why play these word games. If you want to play dumb...great. The conversation will end here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If the worst way the Castro regime punished dissent was by attempting (and likely failing) to revoke special tax district status from a mega corporation in Cuba, I likely would still be in Cuba without the ability to speak English.

4. middleoftheroadgator

May 19, 2023
    Are you for or against any government using its power to suppress the speech of its citizens?

5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Against.

6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    It's not "may have given some" to Pubs in Fla. They definitely have historically given far more to Pubs in Fla than Dems. I could easily google the info for you, but Im guessing you already know the answer and are just trying to move the goal posts. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That's not at all what happened. You offered examples of Democrats who were being "authoritarian." I asked you if the Democrats you referenced actually followed through on their threats, because authoritarianism is more than just empty words. I also criticized the Democratic politicians who said those things, including making very clear that I dislike Gavin Newsom.

Ex. A:
    Democrats definitely violate the First Amendment lol. In fact, I think the Second Circuit is wrong in this case:
    NRA Free Speech Lawsuit Dismissed Against NY State Financial Regulator

Andrew Cuomo and his cronies did violate the NRA's First Amendment rights, in my opinion. Guess what I think of Andrew Cuomo? I don't like him. He has many of the same attributes DeSantis does (authoritarian-esque bully).

Nah. If I wanted to stop posting anonymously, I'd post under my name. Although, I (as an attorney) have sued Joe Biden, but not for a First Amendment violation.

1. Unless a politician takes, or coerces another government official to take, some sort of retaliatory action, it's not a First Amendment violation.
    2. I don't like when politicians threaten (even if they don't follow through) to punish people or corporations for their political or religious beliefs (excepting anti-discrimination laws that punish conduct), regardless of whether it violates the First Amendment.

What does criticizing you on a forum for being unprincipled have to do with DeSantis's court case? LOL.

There's no need to talk about an ideal world. You can oppose it in this world. But that requires a principled stance on the First Amendment. I'd rather die a martyr than die a villain.

8. middleoftheroadgator

May 19, 2023
    And you believe that Desantis isn't trying to punish Disney for exercising its right to free speech which was in direct opposition to him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    It’s not just that you don’t know things, it’s that the things you know just aren’t true.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I respect your privacy and will not press further on specific names you have sued.

But that doesn't mean I won't expect you to show similar outrage when Democrats violate or attempt to violate the First Amendment. Because right now, I get hysterical grandstanding when it's DeSantis, but an apathetic, "I don't like him" if it's a political ally.

When there's a very different response depending on who is doing it, that's the kind of stuff that makes you think it's about politics not about principle.

The only thing that separates you from me on this issue right now, is that I'm honest about the power games in politics and its implications on the culture. You give your own side a quick light slap on the wrist (at least with your message board statements) and go into hiding hoping the story dies off so you can reap the benefits of the chilling effects on your opposition while maintaining your feigned principled stance.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I think he's trying to signal Disney that they're not entitled to their special tax district, and if they're going to fight parental rights in Florida, contrary to the will of the people, maybe the state should re-evaluate that relationship.

12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I called Gavin Newsom a "d-bag" and an "empty suit" in this very thread. I just said Cuomo is an "authoritarian-esque bully." What more do you want?

What separates us is I don't support the government violating people's First Amendment rights, regardless of whether the government official doing it is a Democrat or Republican.

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    A danger to democracy would be a good start.

A person who doesn't care about the Constitution.

A pathetic authoritarian wannabe.

I'd also like to point out that Cuomo is a pariah now, so you have nothing to lose by taking a shot like that at him. I want you to go out on a political limb, not take shots at members of your own party who are already politically dead.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Sometimes responses are different because the offenses are different. The governor of a major state going toe-to-toe with it's largest and best-known corporation is going to result in heightened responses. As is right and proper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yeah, well forgive me for not trusting you.

In previous threads we've had a clear majority of the board bend over backwards to defend Newsom, the mayor of Boston, and other Democrats for violating or attempting to violate the First Amendment and many of those same posters are here crying about the boogeyman.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I backed the NRA over a Democrat, pariah or not, under circumstances similar to what happened here. If that's not good enough, so be it. (And yes, your statements would apply to Cuomo, but criticizing him apparently doesn't count.)

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Anybody who can realistically run for President in 2028 from your own party would be a start.

18. middleoftheroadgator

May 19, 2023
    It's a yes or no question

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you want to call revocation of special tax district status “punishment,” I guess.

This will be decided in court. I’ve already told you I will accept whatever the outcome is. What more do you want from me?

20. middleoftheroadgator

May 19, 2023
    Stop guessing and actually respond with non vagueness