Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Discussion Thread - Baseball Super Regionals

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Jun 4, 2024.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    And I was happy

2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    UF took 2 of 3 against the piggies in the Gators first SEC series. Lots of water under the bridge since then, seems like another season ago, but the Gators can compete with the aggies. First, UF has to get one more win to get to the CWS.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Agreed, but not optimistic after the gm 1 beat down. I will settle for Georgia and/or the Vols watching the cws on TV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    Almost as good as LSU watching the Super Regionals on TV.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. lostgator

lostgator Junior

Aug 20, 2009
    I love this too. I especially like that they lost in such a painful fashion for their fans. I suppose that of the games left I want Tennessee to lose the most (even more than Georgia, and it's not even close). But at the end of the day, going to Omaha and watching championship baseball without the presence of LSU fans is just nirvana, so I am happy as long as the Gators advance.

• Like Like x 2
  6. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Many of them will still make the trip. Whether the teams are there or not---LSU, Texas, and Miss State always have good turnouts. They come for the party and sometimes go to the games and sometimes sell their tickets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Artificial turf is less common in college baseball than football, especially among the big time programs in the south, but Vandy, TN, KY and OK have artificial turf, possibly others. Vandy's turf was well known for sending players sliding past 2B and since Vandy players knew that risk, they always were ready to tag out the victims. I haven't seen that on TV lately, I assume because SEC opponents now are more prepared. (Also may be because I don't often watch Vandy games.) While many athletes dislike artificial turf, northern programs often don't have much choice if they want to practice and play on something green before April or May.

The presence of those SEC turf fields was part of the justification for Gators installing a turf practice infield. UF used some turf on the main field in the area behind home plate and in the area in front of the dugouts because of the wear and tear grass takes in those areas during practice. It wasn't unusual at the Mac for there to be big patches of worn garass to be replaced with sod, even during the season. I can't remember exactly how far the turf extends in foul territory, but other than foul popups, it seldom comes into play. In addition, the warning tracks are clay colored turf.

8. Turf install was certainly worth it and in videos going over facilities Sully has even mentioned it gives kids a place to hang out during the game while their parents are watching the actual game.

9. ShortBusGator

ShortBusGator Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    If anybody is curious, I looked it up:

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    3 ACC teams have made it to Omaha - FSU, Virginia & North Carolina.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    An easy to find answer is the record of teams earned in the CWS. What I'd like to know is the overall record of teams that advanced to the CWS, prior to the start of the CWS.

UF although a 3 seed was apparently one of those teams fitting the last in category. I'm just curious, presuming UF beats Clemson, the records of those teams that made it into the CWS when they weren't expected to or favored to. Should UF advance to the CWS, the record would be either 34-28 or 34-29 if stretched to an if necessary game.

I'd only be interested in seeing the records going into the CWS in the 64-team format. If anyone has a good source for college baseball trivia, I'd appreciate the help on this.

Thanks

12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Clay colored turf on the track cracks me up.....the whole point of the track is the clay lets the OF know how much room he has till he hits the fence. Changing the color of the turf doesn't help him at all, what's the point

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Try this as a starting point:

Men's College World Series Records Book

• Like Like x 1
  14. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not what I'm looking for on team records after the super regionals, but it helped me to narrow the date search to starting in 1999 and the super-regional winners. It may be an individual team search of team records of the winners dating from 1999 - 2023, 26 years X 8 teams = 208 searches, presuming team records go back that far. I don't think I want to know that bad. :)

I might just look for the teams advancing that appear out of place. That is probably doable. If this were a year from now and UF advances this weekend, it wouldn't generally be apparent that UF's record would be one to look at.

Thanks

15. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

it is probably there somewhere. Might also look for stories on Miss St a few years ago--IIRC they were considered by many to be an anomaly.

16. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    I understand the hatred for Tenn, but an Evansville win gives SWAC an easier path in the first games. For that reason (and that reason alone), I will be hoping Tenn wins today.

17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Not I, my friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Found what I wanted. Thanks for your help.

I'm going to post the findings in a standalone thread as I want everybody to see what mountain of history UF is climbing should the Gators pull off the win in the Clemson regional.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Georgia jumping on N C State today. 5-0 in the 3rd.

20. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    GO NC STATE WOLFPACK!!!!!!!!!!

STOMP the POODLES!!!!!!!!!!