Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DH question

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by shelbygt350, Oct 26, 2022.

1. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This has always got my heading spinning a bit.

Say Jac C is playing 1B and our DH is Kurland for P. Going into 8th, we decide to put Jac C on the mound. But he leads off the 9th. Jac C pitches 8th and thus will bat lead off in 9th. The DH is still Kurland, but does he then become the DH for the new 1B guy, say it's Tejada? Not real sure.

In another example, say we have Jac C start the game, and we have Thomas at 2B with Shellnut the DH for Thomas. After 6, we pull Jac C off mound, but how do we keep him in batting, we move him to ? what...he can't play 2B, can we move him to DH in place of Shellnut? Or do we move him to a position he can play, as in 1B. Whose the DH? Whose the 1B? This spins my head.

Sorry, but DH has been around for 50 years and I still get it screwed up if the DH is for anyone else but the P and I want to move players around.

2. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What encourages me is the fact that we have a nice group of heady hitters who can be DHs unlike in Sully's early years here.

3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    The college DH rule is different: I may not be doing it justice but basically the pitcher and DH can be the same person so if Jac starts at pitcher he can be P/DH and remain DH for the entire game even when removed from the mound.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Y’all let me know if I’m wrong, but I believe in your first scenario:

Jac can come in to pitch in the 8th and bat as the P in the 9th. It’s up to coach if he wants to keep a DH (for 1B or any other position) and that decision determines the batting order. He just needs to let the umpire know what the change in the lineup is.

In second scenario - similar situation as it’s coach’s decision and not a hard rule. Jac can move to 1B and that player sits, or become the DH and Shellnut sits.

5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I thought that was the new MLB rule with Ohtani.

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    All of this is confusing and I will guess what is right by what makes sense.

I like to apply the "rule of the school yard" when it comes to things like this. Kids on the school yard can figure out what is fair. I am not a lawyer but when my wife made a midlife career choice to go from engineering to law and was taking torts she would ask me questions about cases and I always applied the "rule of the school yard" when I said what I thought.

If Jac comes in as a straight switch with the pitcher and the previous pitcher was not a batter then he cannot DH. But if he comes in to pitch and is subbed for the DH he will be the DH as well. It is a small distinction but the previous DH is now out of the line-up. Now if a pitcher subs in for Jac they will be the new DH and have to bat.

I don't know if that is the rule, but it makes sense to me.

I don't know if that is the rule but if I was in charge it would be.

• Agree Agree x 1