Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs Newsome

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Newsom should hire you for his PR team, I'm sure you'd fit right in.

Sure let's ignore the fact that California is losing people, Florida is gaining. Let's ignore the fact that more Californias left to Florida than vice versa, let's focus in on the one way to spin this where it doesn't look like people are leaving California... and it doesn't look like people are moving to Florida... which is the point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    True but it's much easier in Florida than in California. This is the California law regarding gun sales between private persons as opposed to the Florida law. Notice the difference.
    Private party sales and transfers: With limited exceptions, California law requires people selling or transferring firearms without a firearm dealer license to process the transaction through a licensed dealer, pursuant to a background check and other gun safety requirements.

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So you won't answer the question. Shocking.

Thanks for showing that you made something up but don't have the guts to admit it.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Citing California law does not prove that it's much easier in Florida for criminals to gain access to firearms.

5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    So everyone who supports the removing of inappropriate material from elementary and middle public school libraries supports "book-banning," under your standard, just not quite to the same degree as Ron DeSantis.

Doesn't quite have the same impact when you say it like that.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    How about parents who want their kid to read Gender Queer check the book out of a public library or buy the damned thing on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or wherever the Hell they get their books? All of that is still 100% legal in Florida.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Maybe I'm missing something about California.

Then I watched it for about 5 minutes and was like "nope." But I was too invested at that point to turn it off.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Tell that to all of the parents at school board meetings who saw the schools offer inappropriate materials with their own eyes.

9. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    i guess you either don't know the def of myopic, think inappropriate is an objective notion or both.

10. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Let the record show you wouldn’t answer. Shocker.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you insist on providing books with graphic sexual depictions to children, go to a public library for adults and check one out yourself. Or buy the damned thing on your own dollar.

Despite being morally reprehensible and creepy, this is still legal in Florida.

13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I am more than happy to answer your question as soon as you admit that you made up the scenario or show a situation where it happened. Ball is in your court. Let me know if you want an answer by simply stating that you have no evidence of your scenario actually happening and that you made it up or providing evidence of your scenario actually happening.

I won't hold my breath, as we both know that you won't do either. Shocker.

14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I will give Newsom this much credit. I feel like he has a record that is actually impossible to defend. But he did the best anybody could under those circumstances and that's lie, deflect, and attack with confidence and a straight face.

I know, Trump does the same thing, which is why it's impossible to debate ideas with Trump. It's only a matter of time before it becomes a circus and when that happens, nobody gains anything from it. :D

Key difference between Trump and Newsom, however, is Trump actually has a lot to hang his hat on regarding his record.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If schools don't feel that Gender Queer is appropriate or of literary value, they're more than welcome to not purchase it. They're also more than welcome to restrict or remove it. What I don't accept is the state government passing laws and engaging in behavior to pressure school districts into removing books that the most ignorant, freedom-hating members of the community want out. That's not how things should work.

And I think it's utterly absurd that everybody's children are losing access to award-winning novels written by legendary authors because some right-wing nut wants to impose their "morals" on everyone else.

Give it a rest, dude. If a 17 year old is uncomfortable with the "sexual depictions" in a novel like Beloved or Slaughterhouse-Five, they can choose not to read it. That's the beauty of a library; nobody is being forced to read something they don't want. If their parents are worried about it, they can restrict their kid's access to the library. We don't need you and your nanny state imposing your censorial prudishness on the rest of us.

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Best thing to do is mute the mic when it's the other guy's time. Both sides would probably be frustrated with this at times, but it probably yields a better product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Let’s revisit what I wrote originally. The word IF would lead one to believe this was a hypothetical question. It’s so funny that you keep fighting to answer a simple yes/no question. You are always good for some laughs.

18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    1. I don't believe that the real issue you have with this is the state/local distinction. You just don't like the policy.
    2. You're treating resources for children as though they are for adults. They are not.

I'm not here to go through every book that has been removed with you. But the notion that this piece of legislation was passed to remove Catcher in the Rye from high school libraries is just a lie. Is the broadness of this statute an issue? Yes. Should we take corrective action to dial back which books ought to be removed? I think so.

But reaching for the most uncontroversial book which was banned as a protective measure due to lack of knowledge regarding the scope of the policy, and treating that as though that is why this legislation was passed in the first place, that's just a smear campaign on Ron DeSantis and the Florida Legislature.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Okay, so you made it up. I wonder if you made it up because you think it sounds worse than real examples like that book in a high school or other books in elementary schools. Now that we have established that you made it up:

No, I am probably not okay with that book in an elementary school library (although I have not read that particular book (have you?)). And it seems as if Elementary School librarians agree, since you can't provide a single example of that thing happening. There is a process of monitoring the job performance of librarians. Far better to deal with an issue like that than trying to have politicians be librarians.

20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

So you are for book bans when you agree with it. Got it. Now that we are crystal clear on that topic let’s get to middle schools. You good with middle schools having that book in school libraries?