Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs Newsome

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, Nov 30, 2023.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    If not a single person was moved by the debate, then DeSantis lost. He had center stage and all of his primary rivals were excluded from the show. This was his one and likely last unique chance to move the needle and regain momentum.

2. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know about his fairness. His questions were more like “Governor Newsome in the area of ______ California sucks worse than Florida. Do you care to explain?”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Neither of these two will be their party nominee for potus in 2024. A sideshow at best.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This remains the dumbest possible argument. "I wasn't banned from the University of Florida because FSU still allows me on their campus!" They are banning books from schools. And no, it isn't just "inappropriate material." Imagine being such a censorious prude that you think high schoolers shouldn't be allowed to read Forrest Gump.

And the saddest thing about all of this is any wackadoodle parent who doesn't want their kid reading award-winning novels can revoke or limit their kids' access to the school library. But that's not enough for the freedom-hating DeSantis fans. They have to stop other parents' kids from getting to read books the freedom haters dislike.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. jjgator55

Apr 3, 2007
    I think what happened last night was that people’s negative opinions about Rhonda Santis were confirmed. Newsome may not have gained many supporters but he did effectively defend his state and end DeSantis political career.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Honest question for anybody who watched this. Why? What did you hope to get out of it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    Don’t care much for either of them. I particularly disliked Newsome’s nose literally in the air, though. The few times I watched a few minutes he came off as a pompous ass. Was he trying to show us he is a better nose hair trimmer the Ron is? Neither was very good at addressing questions asked, but Newsome totally avoided a couple even when asked multiple times in a row. He is prettier than Ron, though. Didn’t watch enough to know if Desantis was as bad about avoidance of questions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The results are in: Democrats think Newsom won while Republicans think DeSantis won.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    Enlighten me. You seem to be much more versed in banned books than me. Which books banned by Desantis and the government of Florida do you think should not have been banned by them?

10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Weird that the main Republican complaint against Newson is that he came off as pompous…. When their #1 guy is perhaps the most pompous, self centered, self promoting, egotistical, narcissistic asshole the world has ever known. Can they really not see it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    that’s not the type of movement I was talking about. I’m talking about conservative ideology versus liberal ideology. I think DeSantis did well enough to maybe clawback a few more points, but clearly nobody is going to get close to Trump. His lead is too big. Ideological Debates are pretty much a waste of time. It’s just theater in my opinion. Enthusiasm is the key to victory. Always has been. You have to get people to actually vote. People aren’t enthusiastic about ideology, they’re enthusiastic about micro issues, like guns and abortions.

12. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Newsom was there as a surrogate for Biden first, and as an attention seeker equally first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I woke up this morning and said “Damn, I should have started Geno Smith”

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    upload_2023-12-1_9-32-55.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    We watched this and turned it into a drinking game, but honestly it was just a sham, like most of our politics right now. It was not unbiased, it was a joke of a debate. Favorite part was poop map lol.

16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Typo, or play on words, like Dante's Descent Into Hell??

I chose to watch TNF last night and the Dak v. Geno matchup was likely a far more entertaining duel. It was actually terrifically entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I did not watch it. Never had any intention to and for the reason you state above.

Now that I have read 75 messages I know that I made the correct choice

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jjgator55

Apr 3, 2007
    Entertainment. It’s always fun watching a MAGA get humiliated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That's not really how it's working. DeSantis and Diaz aren't directly banning books themselves. Instead, what DeSantis did is have his cronies in the legislature pass terrible laws that empower the most censorious members of the community to try and ban books and disincentivize school districts from resisting it. And then, he and Diaz reinforce that by threatening consequences if school districts don't take a "cautious" approach.

Due to that, the extent of the book banning differs on a county-by-county basis. Some counties are more willing to push back, while others cave. Some counties have community members who are pushing hard for book bans. Some don't (at least to the same extent). Of course, the banned book list that the FL DOE is keeping and sending around certainly isn't helping matters. It's encouraging the worst counties to just ban the books on the list without even having community members file challenges.

But if you want some idea of the breadth of the bans, here's some of what Collier County has done:
    MORE THAN 300 TITLES, INCLUDING NUMEROUS LITERARY CLASSICS, BANNED IN COLLIER COUNTY, FLORIDA

We are literally the worst in the country for this behavior:
    Florida now leads the country in book bans, new PEN report says. How did that happen?

What's my solution? Stop doing this. Let the parents who are unhappy with school libraries opt their kids out or restrict access. Trust librarians to do their jobs. If parents have a problem with a book, let them go to the school/school board and handle this on a local level. That's what we've always done, and it was never a problem in the past. Stop passing these moronic state laws aimed at pressuring schools into banning books. Stop involving the state government in local decisions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Fortunately for me I started both Metcalf AND Lamb, but not Lockett.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1