Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs Newsome

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, Nov 30, 2023.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Guess I'm sentimental. I miss the vacuous generalities about American grandeur & the seductive & comforting lies. I keep chasin' 'at feeling.

2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    On the other hand "Florida has no law generally requiring a background check on the purchaser of a firearm when the seller is not a licensed dealer." While it may still be illegal for a felon to own a gun he or she could easily obtain one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I didn’t like the format or some of the questions but give some credit to Hannity for being as fair as you could expect from him. I doubt either DeSantis or Newsom helped themselves. It was more scoreboard and trash talk than I hoped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rock8591

rock8591 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    "Ignore the question, attack, attack, attack" is the strategy to go in debating.

Blatantly unfortunate in today's times but that is reality what works with the masses. As soon as one of em goes on the defensive, that will be construed by the masses as a negative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    So how is it easier to get a gun in Florida as a felon?

• Like Like x 1
  6. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    I liked how Newsome would come up with his own version of facts without reference to the source of those facts when Hannity would show info from the federal census and the CDC that Newsome would contradict. Newsome said more people move from Florida to California than California to Florida. Census said otherwise.

It was unwatchable. When they do these debates, there should be an electric shock that the moderator and can turn up in intensity the more one person interrupts the other. Now that would be entertainment.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    A larger percent of Floridians left Florida for California. A smaller percent of California was more people though since the state is so big.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    It was a shitty set up by Fox/Hannity. Florida and California are fine places to live but could make improvements. Fox set it up to argue which is more of a shit hole. Answer is neither. Newsome did well pointing out how unserious Desantis is. Desantis did a good job painting himself as petty. Newsome comes off pompous but that doesn’t bother me. Would have rather seen Newsome debate Nikki Haley.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
  9. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    Newsom won that debate pretty easily, but then again, I think anyone with a clue knew that would be the case. Newsom is charismatic and can actually debate. Desantis is, welll… Desantis. Even with a biased moderator with Hannity in his pocket trying to help him, sad.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    DeSantis and Hannity both got obliterated by Newsom tonight.

But more importantly, it was Newsom delivering facts about the Biden/Harris successes to a Fox audience that never gets to hear about them.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    i watched the debate. I just read the 50 posts on this thread. Here are the facts. If you are a liberal, Newsome won the debate and Desantis is a wee wee. If you are a conservative, Desantis won the debate and Newsome is a liar. If you are a moderate, it was a tie, a shit show and God save our country.

The reactions across the Country were predictably the same. Not a single person went to bed last night, woke up this morning and proclaimed “I’m changing my vote”

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Well yeah I’m def not voting for newsom since he isn’t running lol. Despite the attempts to address his shadow campaign.

13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL, because landlords pay the property taxes out of the kindness of their hearts and don't pass that expense along to their tenants.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    The point is that the brunt of Florida's tax burden is on landowners, not employees via income tax--many of whom don't own land (also worth noting--income tax does not apply to passive income--you know....the stuff the working and poor dont have; only the wealthy). Also, many landowners don't rent out their land. They use it. Including businesses.

Cali has not just income tax, but a high income tax, PLUS property tax that's higher than FL's, PLUS sales tax, also higher than FL's.

TBL, no matter how you spin it, Florida's is not punitive to the working class. California's is, and is chasing many working class folks out of their state.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The funniest thing in the entire thread were 92gators responses…..I mean emoji responses.

16. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 GC Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    How is that lie "savage"? identifying books/materials that are not appropriate for children as part of school program is not a ban. Anyone can still buy any book or go to a non-school library and check out those books. It's akin to claiming that DUI laws constitute prohibition of alcohol throughout the state. I understand that all politicians have to say things to get attention. However, I find this type of meritless hyperbole destructive to society beyond the ad hominem attack. To make it even worse, when DeSantis showed the books that had been used in Calif, Newsome all but agreed that such books were inappropriate for children and not part of Calif's education program without the guts to actually answer the simple question.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I was impressed with Ronny D, bc he usually sucks in debates, and having seen Newsom on Hannity before--fielding tough questions and keeping his composure--I thought GN was going to wipe the floor with Desantis. He categorically did not.

Not saying RD annihilated GN either, but it was balanced. Both governors got their shots in, and took some hits, and there was a good bit of ugly too. But it was informative, entertsining, and contrary to the surprising as the sun rising in the east consensus here (in da snowglobe) ... it was a pretty good for both guys. Imho. Fwiw.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Before TV was invented probably

19. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    That’s why my wife and I turned it off after the first round of shouting.

20. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    “In the history of American politics,” longtime GOP strategist Stuart Stevens tweeted at the end of the night, “@RonDeSantis will go down as the chump who not only lost every debate in his race, but lost to a guy who isn't even in the race. That's talent.”

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1