Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs Newsome

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, Nov 30, 2023.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Checks and balances anyone?

....and the 'polls' you pretend didn't happen...happened in the election. The one where we elected RonnyD.

Again, this is working within the established framework, in hopes of not having to tear it down.

Make no mistake though....that's never not an option.

"Hey teachers...leave those kids alone!"

#who'syodaddy?

2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Library Sciences I’m pretty sure has always been at least a bachelors degree, not a mere course or “online certificate”. Of course that degree would probably be more for people running public library systems. Has this degree been devalued? Sure. Probably. Can’t speak to how many schools have “professional librarians” anymore, maybe some have to make do with less for budgetary reasons (or just rotate English teachers or whatever). A lot depends on the size and type of the school I’m sure.

Obviously it’s easy to dismiss this as moot or suggest kids can go online, but if that’s true why do the book burning activists care? I think it’s mostly about power/projection to ban books by authors such as Amanda Gorman. But in practical terms, if a book is banned at a library system we can assume that also blocks it from their e-book system. Which may actually impact some kids ability to read it digitally.

3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    He's right. That's on me. But I'm using 'state' in the generic, to juxtapose against the private sector, not as in the State of Florida.

4. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    that position does not seem to exist in Florida, at least not in Orange County. Do you have a link or name to any such person in Florida?

5. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I looked up jobs for this position and there is no standard. I found 1 for a DC school that listed “must be over 18” as a job requirement. LOL

6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    AKA Big government that you reframed to justify it in your mind.

Wow, so whenever you elect somebody, that means you agree with him on every single policy?

Lol! So you are adding government so that you don't have to get rid of...schools. Okay then.

7. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    No, you can't be a public school librarian in Florida by taking an online course from a community college. It generally requires a master's degree in library science.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Do I get a retainer for doing your research for you? ;)

Here is the page for this person in Alachua County. Her name is Patty Duval.

Media & Instructional Materials / Instructional Materials

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Im going to go out on a limb and say whatever you looked at is not actually a “librarian” job.

In FL apparently you have to be a certified teacher and then can add on the library certification on top of the teaching certificate. So according to FL the degree doesn’t have to be in library sciences (library sciences might be preferred, but if it’s anything like the teacher shortage they may have to take what they can get in some cases). But it’s pretty clear you have to at least be a licensed educator.

10. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    It is amazing how quickly the definitions in the dictionary change over time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    which is an online course at a “community college” requiring no GRE. Did you just ignore the links I posted? A community college, as I use the term, is any school which is primarily on line, does not have a campus, does not have athletics, does not have Greek Life or any Florida school that has the word “state” in its name.

12. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Likely the same reason you came back to Too Hot.

13. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Post More Often!!!!
    I have been enjoying your takes.

14. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    thanks for the link, but it does not appear on its face to support what you are contending. This department in Alachua County does not appear to have any supervisory authority over the librarians. It’s simply a purchasing department. But good find nonetheless.

I used your link (the title “media & Instructional material”) and looked up some other counties. I don’t see much of any reference to library books in any of them. Admittedly I have little to no knowledge of this process in Florida as my kids attended school in Illinois. But from what I can tell it appears the counties have properly adopted the procedures laid out by the State under Desantis. Here is a Broward County where I attended school. (Better website)

Innovative Learning / Instructional & Digital Materials

My initial thought (guess) is that this department/position in the County school systems was created or modified to comply with the new state laws (not preexisting). But I don’t know and I’m not vested in Florida schools so I don’t have enough interest to forego petting my dog this morning to do further research on the issue.

But thank you for providing the link you did. Interesting reading.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    that may be true in Florida as there appears to be a certificate requirement, which requires the masters degree in library sciences. But if you look at the links I posted, that is an online course. I assume you have to have an undergraduate degree to get that certificate, but the state of Florida does a really shitty job of explaining this on their webpage.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Just pointing out the obvious precedent of pitting one force of government vs another, to prevent the increase of government power vis a vis the private sector.

Not what I said. More strawman bullshit. We electedcRonnyD....then re elected him by a wider margin= approval of his actions.

IF that was necessary, as again the measure is power of govmt vis a vis the private sec, not in a vacuum.

That's why conservatives don't have a problem with huge military, which is aimed out, at foreign threats, but do have problems with government in health care, which is undeniably intrusive to the private sector, and especially to individual autonomy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  18. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    your link doesn’t support what you are suggesting. These places are not banning smoking. They are “banning” smoking at specific locations. It is the locations that matter most in the “ban”. Time, place and manner restrictions are appropriate government functions. The government is permitted to do this with speech, assembly, guns, the press…..just about anything.

you assertion that “Florida/Desantis is banning books” is wrong and/or fraudulent unless you provide the scope of the ban in your proclamation. “Florida bans elementary school from maintaining books that depict sexual acts in their Libraries”. Context matters.

a smoking “ban” as you suggest in your link does not “ban” smoking and is not designed to do. It is designed to designate a location where your right to smoke is temporarily “suspended” until you leave the location. If you choose not to enter the regulated location, your right to smoke is not infringed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    You are arguing semantically, and it’s quite lame.

If a librarian is being forced to pull books any time a title is merely “challenged”, and faces potential threat of criminal charges from the state for shelving a book that is still under review, that is in effect the same as a state sanctioned ban on the book at that location.

I think the issue is not that there is a process for review, or that parents should have zero say in that process. The issue is that the state has made the default case to pull the book off the shelf, and also added potential criminal charges. You think it’s sane to threaten librarians with criminal charges for having a “challenged” Amanda Gorman book on their shelves? Essentially enabling Godzilla Karen’s. Supposedly just a small number of people are responsible for almost all the so-called “bans” that have occurred… and as they are all political activists that’s undoubtedly by design.

Florida schools got hundreds of book complaints — mostly from 2 people

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I’m not arguing semantics. Again, another term thrown out there because you don’t understand the significance of a very relevant nuance. Context is everything, not a simple semantic differentiation that you can blow off.

If I see you talking with your spouse and overhear you utter just one phrase …”I’m going to kill you!” Do I get to conclude you are about to commit murder? Hell no! Because I have no context. I missed the part where your spouse challenged you to a game of Tennis.

When you assert books are banned, or smoking is banned without any context you are being deceptive.

identify a single person who was denied all access to any book anywhere in the United States. It’s just not possible….unless of course you provide context such as “Billy Bob who lives in the middle of Alaska, 1000 miles from any civilization and doesn’t have internet.” Even under that scenario someone could theoretically make an airdrop of books to his camp.

you want to change the common definition of a term in order to politicize something which isn’t political.

Answer this question:

Should a 7 year old have access to a book in her school library that has graphic descriptions and illustrations of oral sex?

Don’t try to duck dodge and weave and claim “that never happens” because that is not my question. Just answer the question yes or no.

I’ll go first. My answer is no.

• Winner Winner x 1