Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs Newsome

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I asked a question, I didn’t lie.

2. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Damn ... all I hear is crickets ...

3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    What does Florida have that California doesn't? California has even better weather than Florida yet it lost people. Florida continues to gain.

Why do you think that is?

4. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He’s not even running.

5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    You demonstrate a severe lack of reading comprehension.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Exactly my point.

7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Can you point me to these lists for a state? I'm interested in seeing them.

A ban is defined in the dictionary as a legal or official prohibition. If a school library is legally prohibited from providing a book, that fits the dictionary definition.

School librarians are not unaccountable and are only unknown if you choose to have them be unknown. And no, I don't want them to be elected. They are professionals. The point is that they know their subject better than I do. I also don't want my children's teachers to be elected.

Assuming you meant "their," no, that is not a ban as it isn't a legal or official prohibition.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    No, I am trying to demonstrate that we don't have to defer to the "experts" on everything.

Some books are as plain as day not appropriate for elementary school kids and should not be available to elementary school children, nor middle school children to be frank. Acknowledging this and asking for the removal of books like this from public school libraries is not "book banning" in any sort of Nazi Germany context.

The usage of such charged language serves no other purpose than to defend the supply of books like this in public school libraries and to smear Ron DeSantis and the Florida Legislature.

9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Are you saying Gender Queer is an outrageous example?

Why is that?

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    They created a system SPECIFICALLY to enable the people abusing the prior one. That's why your stance here is so absurd.

Gender Queer is not appropriate for elementary school libraries. I'm confident the local government, whether it's the librarians, principals, superintendent, or school board can handle that issue.

Now, let's talk about the banning of literary classics from authors like Ayn Rand, Leo Tolstoy, Kurt Vonnegut, Toni Morrison, Jack Kerouac, Zora Neale Hurston, Norman Mailer, etc. from high school libraries. Let's talk about the banning of books like Forrest Gump, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, A Game of Thrones, Atonement, The Hate U Give, A Time to Kill, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc. from high school libraries.

Congratulations, you succeeded in killing a cockroach. All it took was burning your entire house down. Good work. The ends totally justified the means.

11. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    There you go again ... you can't "ask for the removal" of a book that was never there ... because libraries already had age-appropriate criteria in place.

Now, do you want to talk about examples of MLK and Rosa Parks books -- that were actually in libraries -- being banned because Moms for Liberty used the law to claim that black history hurts their fragile white feelings?

12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Not what I said. You see the word "elementary" before the word "school" in my post? It is pretty important in context. The book was available in some high schools and has been banned from that in some places. In addition, while banning something that doesn't happen is a waste of time, there is no reason why it can't be done.

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Again, where's the evidence of that?

So you support banning an LGBTQ book as long as the ban is coming from the local government? Sounds a lot like Nazi Germany to me.

I'm with you that most/all of those shouldn't be from high school libraries. Are all of these books banned from Florida high school libraries?

14. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I charge $550/hr for research and will need a $1500 retainer. Do you have Venmo?

But no one is prohibited from reading any books. Further, all I hear from the left is none of these books were even available or used. Besides, who even uses libraries anymore? Everything is digital now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Asked and answered.

Local governments have the power to remove a book that is not age appropriate. Local governments cannot ban books simply because they have LGBTQ+ characters. That would run afoul of the Constitution. As I said before, they still have to answer to the Constitution.

And before you post some disingenuous response, no, I'm not suggesting it would be unconstitutional to remove Gender Queer from elementary school libraries.

Yes. Because of the law and people you're defending.

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I said we don't have to defer to the experts. Show me where I said "remove this from Florida elementary schools libraries." I think I was pretty clear that it shouldn't be offered, but I never used the word "remove."

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Assertions and conjecture is not evidence. And you're not under oath and this isn't court.

I.e. local governments have the power to ban books. This is what the Nazis did folks.

May you please provide a link(s) showing that these books were banned from Florida public high schools?

18. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    They are not accountable to the only people who matter: parents.

sorry grammar God, blame Siri.

So if Desantis says no to your Queer book it’s a ban, but if Cindy Lou the librarian says no it’s just good judgment?

i’m having a hard time, trying to draw the distinction

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    "Acknowledging this and asking for the removal of books like this from public school libraries is not "book banning" in any sort of Nazi Germany context."

Like I said, you can't ask for the removal of a book that was never there ... This is a classic straw man fallacy, and you are really digging in ...

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hmm, strange. And here I thought you posted on here for free. I thought, given your confidence in their existence, that you must know where they are.

Regardless, it is still a ban. You can ban smoking in a restaurant without banning the action of smoking altogether.