Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs. Disney

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dynogator, Apr 13, 2022.

1. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ah, so now you’re resorting to the canard that people who are gay are necessarily pedophiles?

Man, it’s going to blow your mind to learn that most pedophiles are heterosexual men.

Child Sex Abusers; Gay or Straight?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I mean the crux of the support for the bill is people being afraid of something beign taught or said in a classroom, all with scant evidence that this was happening on any scale. Phobia of some sort is certainly at work here, reason is most certainly not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Was going to mention the same when @dadx4 also posted the same false narrative that gay men were pedophiles a few days ago. As the link indicated most are straight males who victimize young girls. Here's a very recent example from Northern Virginia.
    Elementary school employee charged with sexually assaulting several 8-year-old girls

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Very similar to my own political wanderings. Was Republican, now NPA, voted for McCain in a primary against GW Bush and Bush in the general. Now, I will not vote for any Republican ever again while the trump stain or influence remain. Would consider an R who is publicly and vocally an anti-trumper.

• Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Our conservatives recognize that it It is OK for corporations to have First Amendment Rights to contribute to campaigns and make dark money contributions, but when they exercise their free speech rights in issues the conservatives don’t like, it is Ok for states to punish them for exercising that speech. DeSantis has admitted his actions are in retaliation for free speech and is being cheered by his supporters for it. Wildly popular for people to give up their rights. The key is to tie the actions to something they support. The problem is when the shoe is in the other foot. Must support robust exercise of the First Amendment no matter the content of the speech. And that is before you get to the rankings problems with this proposal.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Perfect legislative session for DeSantis to protect white straight people from those who are different. First, his district maps disenfranchise African American representation. Now he punishes free speech opposing a law passed involving non-straight people. And his popularity grows.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Doesn’t matter. What matters is every day we see somewhere that a ranking Republican is involved in some sort of perverse behavior with underaged children, all while projecting their behaviors onto teachers and theme parks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So you support the fascist effort to use the power of the state government to punish Disney for stating their opposition to a policy of DeSantis? You even seem to advocate for a further fascist effort to punish Disney for its policy views via a looming copyright issue. What does that make YOU?

The government does not have the right to punish people or corporations for their political views, but DeSantis, like the true fascist strong man wannabe that he is, has no respect for our constitution, and is doing it anyway.

You seem to like all of this when a politician who agrees with you does it, but I wonder how you'd like it if a Democrat did it? Of course you wouldn't, but I have two other thoughts on that: 1. Maybe you look forward to a successful effort to install Trump or a Trump-like dictator via the perversion of our electoral process, thereby obviating the possibility of having to worry about a Democrat doing the same thing; and 2. You know that you don't have to worry about it under ANY circumstances because you know that a Democrat would never use the power of the government to punish people or corporations for their policy views.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Will have to take your word for it. I wasn't able to read it and there were no quotes attributed to the link.

10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    All that is being discussed is having them play on the same equal playing field. They have advantages that others do not. Why should they be allowed to keep those advantages?

It would be one thing if the discussion was to actually punish them. But it is actually nothing of the sort. Disney brought this on themselves and may lose some of their advantageous treatment that others did not and do not have...

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  12. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Pro tip. See there where it says “share” in the tweet? Press that, copy the link and paste the link in. GC will do the rest.

13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    When you say "Disney brought this on themselves," that is you supporting punishing a company for not believing what you do. You just don't like that is what you are doing, so you obfuscate and re-frame your position around it. But in the end, that is what you support: punishing those that don't agree with you.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    “MINNEAPOLIS — After months of delays, a Minnesota Republican Party donor and strategist charged with underage sex trafficking appeared in court Thursday, March 24, with his new legal team.

Anton Joseph Lazzaro faces 10 charges for allegedly paying minors for sex. Prosecutors claim he lured five victims for sex and attempted to lure a sixth between May and December 2020.

Lazzaro has been in custody since federal authorities arrested him at his Minneapolis apartment in August. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Oh, the disingenuous of it all:

"A proclamation signed by DeSantis states that “it is necessary to review such independent special districts to ensure that they are appropriately serving the public interest.”

"Sen. Jennifer Bradley said the legislation, which specifies Disney without naming it, “is not an attempt to villainize” the company but to reassess its legal authority after more than a half-century."

Of course it is, Bradley. The timing of the "reassessment," is purely coincidental.

From what I've read, this issue would have more bipartisan support if it weren't so blatantly retaliatory.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    i actually never voiced my opinion at all. I mentioned that majority of the people supported the law and that we shouldn’t just assume they are all homophobes. I also mentioned that Disney has several issues upcoming that they are dealing with. Seems you read into what I typed and jumped to some conclusions.
    I personally do not think DeSantis right to go after Disney the way he is. I also think that the copyrights need to be ended if other companies are not getting the same considerations. I also think the special considerations that have been given to Disney need to at least be looked at… not out of retaliation.. which is what I believe DeSantis is doing.. but out of making sure our government is doing what is best for Floridians and not just what is best for Disney.
    Now with all that said go back and look at the gigantic leaps and accusations you made.
    I’m not a Trump supporter. Never have been. I’m not for government being vindictive but I also strongly believe that both parties and their elected officials are complete trash. Hillary was/ is trash. Biden is a complete idiot that can’t put two sentences together and his family (if not him) are in bed with China. Trump and his family are all creepy crooks. They all are terrible. Left and right.
    Notice I’m not making an assumptions about YOU. Nor am I projecting anything on YOU. Unlike the post I am responding to.

17. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Weird. I thought conservatives were against cancel culture. :ninja2:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    And here’s the not so quiet part out loud.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I know just posted it fast

20. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    And this I disagree with. If we don’t like Disney’s policy we can use our wallets to let them know. If the special considerations given to Disney need to be re evaluated to determine what is best for Floridians… not out of political revenge.. then I am fine with it. However, that really doesn’t seem to be the case.