Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs. Disney

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dynogator, Apr 13, 2022.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Tweet deleted. What did it say?

2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Still here that I see

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is this action because the school prohibits political messaging of all kinds in their yearbook? Or are they singling out only messaging they don't like for political reasons?

4. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So DeSantis admits that his attack on Disney was intended to stifle "left wing activism". Not smart.

I wouldn't be surprised if DeSantis' attack on Disney has led CEO’s to conclude we don't want to relocate to or expand our business in Florida because “we don’t want to be the next Disney.” Not smart.

received_626482275136404.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    We had a yearbook get blocked because some kids took pictures of anti mask student protests & they didn't want them in the yearbook. Also blocked senior quotes criticizing school closings, sports cancelations, etc.

So yeah this stuff happens and isn't new.

• Like Like x 1
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    We call that a confession

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Wouldn't be the first time DeSantis's words got him into trouble in a lawsuit lol.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    He doesn't care about their business or the longterm fiscal wellness of the state. He only cares about votes.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 1
  10. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    These people probably aren't having a good month

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Governor's latest proposed solution to ending the Reedy Creek Improvement District without violating bonds or raising taxes - having the State of Florida operating Disney World property

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Yep, shades of Fidel. Interested to hear the spin on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    So from Big-Gov Ron to Massive-Gov Ron. Take THAT, Abbott! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not me.
    On the one hand I just want to forget about it, as it is just so hard to contemplate the degree of damage is being done and how difficult it will be to correct it. It just seems that the case. On the other hand, I do look forward to the humor. Once the DeSantis administration has taken over operating Disney World what will be the changes to the attractions? Will they remove the multicultural aspect of It's a Small World? Return the wench auction to Pirates? Require viewing of the original Song of the South on Splash Mountain?

So many possibilities. You just have to laugh at it to survive

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Oh good! That way the entire state has to pay off the bonds. Do we get to vote on the tax increase to pay the bonds? Or, does he just tax Disney to pay off the bonds? That is a great idea.

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think he thinks he can get Disney to pay. But it’s not like the bond covenants are Not going to be triggered, and I suspect there is some guarantee from revenues from the parks. Plus, are they just going to take over all the normal incidences of running the place, land-use road repair, etc. It can’t really be pulled off but he’ll never back down. Not sure how this ends. Before I thought some injunction would end it and that may be the case. But he may keep fighting. I also thought Disney would grovel. That also could still happen but I think they think they have the upper hand now

17. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    I think Disney does have the upper hand, and aren’t going to give their advantage away by going off half cocked in public like those on the other side of this. The bond issue is likely not going away, and Desantis’s words are making this look more and more like a taking. I still think the outcome will be a negotiated one that allows the governor to save face. But he’s not the savviest of strategists, that’s for sure

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Cringe

19. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Based on the law, Disney is in total control if they want to assert their rights. Quoting the relevant passage of Florida Statute 189.072, Section 2a:

"In order for the Legislature to dissolve an active independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act, the special act dissolving the active independent special district must be approved by a majority of the resident electors of the district or, for districts in which a majority of governing body members are elected by landowners, a majority of the landowners voting in the same manner by which the independent special district’s governing body is elected. If a local general-purpose government passes an ordinance or resolution in support of the dissolution, the local general-purpose government must pay any expenses associated with the referendum required under this paragraph."

As it states, an act by the Florida Legislature dissolving a special district such as Reedy Creek must be approved by the majority of resident electors or landowners in the district. It would be the latter if the majority of governing body members are elected by landowners. The latter is in fact the case, so Disney must approve this.

Also, more importantly, when you use the power of the government to retaliate against an entity for disagreeing with those in government who are in power, that is a violation of the First Amendment. It is also a fascist act.

Disney would win in court using either of the two approaches.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    So, again, this is a huge loss for Disney, absent court action. DeSantis’ decision for the State to take over the special district is insidious. Orange County’s duly elected officials are, understandably, Disney friendly. With DeSantis’ move, the State will control the District. That means Disney will have to go to the State, and unfriendliness, to pass the land use girdles to engage in any form of development.
    Absent a court action, which I think a Disney would win, this is a checkmate by DeSantis.