Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs. Disney

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dynogator, Apr 13, 2022.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Piss on the Constitution because you think the other side did it first. It's sad you think this way.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Disney can involve itself in any issue it wants to.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Reminds me of the podcast The Improvement Association.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL…

Yeah DeSantis defending the bill that the vast majority support by removing advantages a corporation has over other corporations because they injected themselves into the arena by misrepresenting the bill is fascism.

Keep it up. You are helping DeSantis!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Disney has every right to say what they wish. And now they get to deal with the prospect of losing special privileges because of that. They are not being denied anything. They are dealing with the consequences of being on the wrong side of this. That is all.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!

I have already said there is no doubt this is because Disney injected itself into the issue. This is how it works. They misrepresented a bill that the vast majority of Floridians support to push an agenda. And they have provided DeSantis a winning issue. It’s politics.

I bet they are working the back rooms right now to calm this as they are on the losing side of this issue. Especially considering their target audience for Disney World.

DeSantis and Florida are in the drivers seat.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Thanks for the advice.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great podcast

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!

This is a response that confirms my opinion is likely correct. You know DeSantis is likely going to win big.

And at the end of the day it is not because of Disney. They have just provided him easy political capital on this issue. The reason he is going to win and win big is because he is the Gold Standard when it came to Covid.

Florida is killing it. Tourism at records. People moving here in record numbers. All while Disney is down from its records and out peddling agendas that are the opposite of the Disney World customer.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No, the question is what is the right thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You’re right, they can (doesn’t mean they should, or as a society we should want them to).

Now they can enjoy the consequences for it. How’s their stock price right now?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If conservatism is worth fighting for, fighting back is the right thing to do.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    What are you even fighting for at this point? "Conservatism" is a word. How can you be fighting for "conservatism" when the fight requires abandoning the values it allegedly traditionally held dear? (Respect for the Constitution and people's rights/freedoms, limited government, empowering businesses, etc.)

It wasn't that long ago in this very thread that you were admitting that what's happening here is wrong. That changed quickly.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, a fascist abuse of power, being punished for opposing DeSantis' policy. And you admit that they are facing consequences for doing that, which is why it's an abuse of power! You also are clearly relishing that fascist act. What does that make you?

He may do it, but in this society, DeSantis does not have the right to use the power of government to punish entities for opposing his policies.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    For the 50th time, you are not the arbiter of what is or isn’t Constitutional. There are more important values to conservatives than protecting businesses, like protecting children and the freedom to allow people to say basic human truths like “men are men” and “women are women.”

I said I’m on the fence about it. In an ideal world, yes it’s wrong. In 2022, where everything is politicized, people are muzzled by mobs and by Democratic officials, a lot of people on this forum deserve to eat this one.

You want to bully people into silence. You want to block Chick-Fil-A from opening in your city due to the organization’s religious beliefs, you want to “guide” social media in handling “hate speech” and “misinformation” while on the other hand threatening to crack down on them if they don’t tow the Party line… this is the blowback.

I wouldn’t have done it, I wish nobody ever did this. But I’m not standing between DeSantis and Disney. People on this thread have only reaffirmed that position.

If you guys are going to insinuate the worst about me, who can really see why it’s right and why it’s wrong, and the people supporting this move, I might as well get my popcorn and enjoy the show.

16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    We literally agreed on this earlier in the thread:
    Now, you've seemingly changed your mind and decided that you're going to "enjoy the show." Why? Because some things happened in Boston and California in the past? I don't get to vote in Boston. I don't get to vote in California. I have no say in what those governments do. I do have a say in what happens here in Florida. And I know what I'm seeing is wrong. You know it too.

I'll be voting for Charlie Crist. He doesn't excite me, but he's at least proven himself to be a reasonable and competent governor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yet, you are generally pretty silent about them. You mischaracterize conservative politicians and voters. You insinuate that they are authoritarian racists. You attribute the most aggressive Republicans to the entire party, characterize them in the worst possible light, then you poo poo the Democrats who do the same thing.

Maybe it's wrong, maybe it's war. The more I read, and the more people on this thread talk, the more I'm convinced it's the latter.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    the article is a great read on it

looks like DeSantis will have yet another ruling against him, and will again waste taxpayers money defending it, so he can out-Trump Trump with his base..

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Let's try this a different way. Let's say you spoke out publicly saying abortion was wrong and you opposed a bill allowing abortion in all facets. And the governor decided to strip away your homestead exemption because you spoke out on his abortion bill.

You're saying you're perfectly okay with that?

And that's not fascism?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you’re still focused on this benefit being a “special” privilege and ignoring the important point: why it’s being revoked.

Lets apply your logic to another situation. Let’s say a high school teacher gives extra credit to all his students that wear pro-immigration T-shirts. One student believes that borders are important to political stability and wears a “protect our borders” shirt instead. Unlike the rest of the class he doesn’t get extra credit. He complains to the principal that this isn’t fair. Then he’s told he’s not being denied anything as the extra credit is a special privilege. The student must deal with the consequences of being on the wrong side of this. That is all.

Would you support that teacher’s actions, or did you see this example as different?