Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs. Disney

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dynogator, Apr 13, 2022.

1. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Your original premise was not meaningful. It was akin to saying that any case is constitutional because it involves judicial review, which is a constitutional aspect of Article III courts under Marbury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    You’re right, of course. I’m sure you know more about my job and how these things work than I do.

3. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    You are certainly the Renaissance Man. You know everything about government contracting, state, local, and federal tax policy, weapons systems, and virology/immunology. Hell, I remember a time you posted that you were going pick up steaks at Petty's on a Sunday. Very impressive, indeed.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It’s more akin to saying any case involving the issue of whether the Court, particularly the Supreme Court, had the authority to exercise judicial review is a Constitutional question.

5. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I have neither the time nor interest in spending one minute trying to convince you or any others of something that they do not wish to be convinced of and that is so obvious.
    You can believe what you wish which is heavily biased toward your dislike of DeSantis. You don’t strike me as the person who still has their “Rick Scott is an asshole” sticker on their Prius but maybe I read you wrong.

Just know this: there is a reason that corporations spend big, big $ pursuing and maintaining these economic development deals and packages. It is because they’re are extremely lucrative. They represent free money, and a lot of it. We have a much smaller footprint than Disney here in Orange County and we pay about the same in property taxes as they. Companies bend over backwards for deals that are minuscule to what Reedy Creek Improvement District means to WDW.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    If I could pick the places where I get free rent in someone’s head, it probably wouldn’t be yours.

Oh well, enjoy your ignorance. And remember in a few years when Orange and Osceola Schools are enjoying this revenue windfall that it was brought to them courtesy of their beloved Ron DeSantis.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    There may be distinctions here, but I recall AOC and others being angry about the prospect of Amazon potentially obtaining financial incentives to build a second headquarters there. It seems like big corporations often get special treatment though?

8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was willing to spend a few minutes to satisfy myself that the numbers posted for taxes paid were realistic. I'm sorry that you aren't willing to invest a few minutes in doing the same.

You know what, strike that. I finally got to the end of your ignorant post. You are delusional if you think your company is paying anywhere near the same in property taxes as Disney is.

What is the name of your company? The tax collector's website has the data to prove you are right or wrong. Or are you going to try to wiggle out by telling us you know so much more than the tax collector that looking up the actual amounts won't show the real story?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Believe whatever ignorant thoughts that you want pal. If you think that I am divulging my company name on this board then you have less sense than I have always given you credit for.

I’m getting ready to board a flight home so let me end my time on this thread with this: The Reedy Creek Improvement District is a financial gift that most corporations can only dream of. If you cannot realize this, I cannot help you. Disney is insane to let this happen. There will be a lot of changes ahead for those in their management who have allowed it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!

Misrepresenting a bill to protect K-3 kids from being taught about sexual topics was acting on behalf of their customers. All while filming in China.

Now that is funny! I don’t care who you are.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sure, just give us a general ballpark figure of how much your company paid in property taxes in 2020.

If you think I'm ignorant, lacking in knowledge, try dropping some knowledge on me.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Basically, none of the defenders of this action refute that it denies free speech by punishing a corporation as retaliation for its political discourse in opposition to a DeSantis backed policy. Many of these defenders even repeat the reality that they are being punished for their political speech.

I keep saying that a great percentage of Republicans have adopted a fascist philosophy, it gets denied over and over, then DeSantis, the legislature, national Republicans, and conservative posters on this board confirm their fascist thought processes over and over. They don't even hide it anymore, saying and writing, in effect: "If Disney comes out against a Republican idea, then they deserve to have government abuse its authority and punish them for it".

• Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  13. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I don't doubt that Disney pays some property tax but there are a couple of aspects that are interesting.
    First, there could be an argument that the property value that is assessed is too low. Doubtful as Disney would raise a stink if they felt it was too high (but wouldn't if it was too low).
    Second and the biggest issue is what the rate is based on what they are footing the bill for themselves. For example, if they are paying the full millage rates per 1,000 of value AND are paying for their own fire and transportation costs, then they are ripping themselves off.

My guess is the portions of the property tax that goes to schools, transportation, police, fire etc.. get reduced on their properties since 1. they don't have their own school district and 2. they are running their own emergency services.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    2021 support bigly tax break for Goofy
    2022 no governance for Daffy

Kokookoo theatre

15. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Does he get points for continuing even though posters have proven him wrong? SMH

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm gonna guess Lockheed...but hey you still have plausible deniability!

17. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Or...When you take campaign donations from, and live large off the revenue generated by a certain company, you cannot legislate in any way that will embarrass or anger the businesses that you have been in bed with for over 50 years. DeSantis thinks he's popular enough to take on Big Tourism in Florida. I'm quite positive that whatever intelligent politicians are still in Tallahassee are wishing they could make this go away. Heads will indeed roll over this, and I hope the first one down the chute is DeSantis.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Disney is not being denied free speech at all. They are not having something taken away from them that others get but as pointed out are being brought to the same playing field. They can say all they want. It would be a dumb decision to keep pushing it no matter what because they are on the wrong side. But they have every right to say what they wish.

With that they get to deal with the consequences of their actions. The misrepresented a bill that the vast majority of people support. And because of that they might lose special privileges they had that others did not. It would be completely different if they were being targeted punitively compared to their peers. But no. Their peers did not have the advantages they had. Free speech away Disney. Be careful though as you film in Xinjiang and misrepresent bills to push agendas. You might find yourself on the wrong side. :cool:o_O:confused::eek::D:devil::ninja3:

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Florida is more than fine. People moving here by the thousands. Just had a record tourism year. Yet some just want to live in misery.

Covid really messed some people up...:D:devil::ninja3:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    You're right about one thing, Q, actions do have consequences. What consequences do you think DeSantis will reap?