Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs. Disney

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dynogator, Apr 13, 2022.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I dont know about Disney, but the City of Industry is a charter city. I assume there are probably others.

2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Yes authoritarian push to have equal treatment.

You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh!

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  3. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Maybe he feels he has to outdo Abbott in Tx who backed up semi truck traffic for days while millions in perishable goods perished. Hey look what I can do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's CLEARLY a retaliatory action, and that is obvious. It is punishment for Disney's articulation of its opposition to DeSantis' policies. Yes, Disney "brought this on themselves" by publicly disagreeing with DeSantis, and his response, which was to punish Disney for its statements, was definitely fascistic.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I had no clue Disney was getting preferential advantages. They probably should have stayed out of politics and misrepresenting the side that most are on. Then most of us (whether you agree with misrepresenting the bill and Disney or not) still would have had no idea they were getting preferential treatment. Now that they have created a situation where we know they are being treated unequally with advantages. They get to deal with the consequences.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I would make park entrance in Florida free with a California ticket purchased at 10% discount. Move all sales to California and let Florida sue me.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. luvtruthg8r

Apr 3, 2007
    Disney has EVERY right to be political, and DeSantis has NO right to use the power of government to punish them for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You aren't pushing for equal treatment. You are pushing for political retribution for speech. You weren't commenting about how unfair this was 1 year ago, when Disney was a major employer and political donor to Republicans in the state. You aren't pushing for this for fairness purposes. You are doing it because you want to use government to extract revenge on somebody for speaking out against the government that you support. All of your attempts to obfuscate around that don't disprove your authoritarian tendencies. They just display your desire to hide them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, if you believe in free speech.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    He has the right to revoke something they were never entitled to in the first place.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 5
  12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    U've become an ultra-lib. My understanding is that disney was promised this arrangement prior to breaking ground. it is the breaking of a promise if nothing else & cons think that is wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    You do not know what you are talking about.

The "special" tax breaks are what all companies are allowed to get in FL. It is not Disney specific from 55 years ago. And Desantis already said he is not going after the corporate tax breaks Disney gets. They will still get those. He just wants to revoke their status as their own governing body, which would then burden Osceola and Orange counties with tax hikes to their residents. As someone already posted, this would cost every family in Orlando an additional $2200 in taxes. Not including now having to pay for 911, medical, fire, construction, etc, which Disney uses NO tax dollars currently to fulfill, but now FL taxpayers would have to fit the bill to pay for Disney construction, etc.

That is what you want? To burden the taxpayer?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    That would be true before the new Pubs' fascist regimes.

15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Anyone who grew up in central Florida in the 70s and 80s generally knew Disney has been its own municipality for years. It was part of the economic development deal that enticed them to Florida in the first place, and it's the shoulder atop which virtually the entire City of Orlando was built. Without Disney, Orlando is still the cow pasture that it was when we moved there in the late 60's.

If you think its ok to take that away in a retaliatory move over a single bill then I'm going to say you're being disingenuous here.

If a Dem gov threatened to take away Hobby Lobby's incentives because they spoke out against a permissive abortion bill, you'd be clanging the bell about how wrong that was. The difference is, I would too. It's the height of petty, partisan politics. Just like when Kemp did the same crap to Delta in GA 2 years ago.

And I would think it's also a violation of Disney's right to free speech for the government to retaliate solely in response to their free expression of an opinion on legislation, when no one had a problem with this until 2 weeks ago. That's OK. I'm sure every family in Osceola/Orange Counties will gladly stroke a check for $2200 to retire Disney's $2b bond debt once they inherit it. And then pay for the cost of providing ongoing services. So much winning for everyone because Big Gov Ron got his feelings hurt. .

• Winner Winner x 8
  16. luvtruthg8r

Apr 3, 2007
    Can you not understand that the issue is retaliatory punishment for the words articulated by Disney in opposition to DeSantis' policies?

If Democrats claim that corporations don't pay their fair share and try to raise their taxes EXCLUSIVELY as a result of thinking that they don't pay their fair share, AND NOT AS A RESULT OF OPINIONS ARTICULATED BY CORPORATIONS, then they would not be undertaking a fascist abuse of power. If they were to raise taxes of companies as a result of those companies' political policy pronouncements, then that WOULD be a fascist abuse of power.

How can you NOT understand the difference?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's almost like we have a constitutional provision specifically forbidding retroactively criminalizing behavior specific to a single actor. Nah, must be one of those crazy liberal ideas

18. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yup… corporations are people and money is speech … right wingers taught me this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's also a really stupid policy on its own merits, or lack thereof, but it's enacted by a partisan worldview that premises it's legitimacy on performative stupidity

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1