Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis vs. Disney

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dynogator, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I don't think revoking special tax privileges qualifies as "cancelling" Disney.

Even if it did though,
    1. Are they entitled to special tax privileges?
    2. Aren't you okay with cancel culture?

Trust me, Florida LOVES having Disney in their state, they just want to pressure them to be apolitical. Doing this is risky in the sense that Disney may eventually leave Florida if Florida keeps doing things like this, but it's not like Florida doesn't want Disney's business. They love Disney's business, just leave the politics out of it.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Is that like saying democrats are all for cancel culture?

3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    And some of us pointed out the nature of polling and how questions are worded leads to nothing conclusive on how much the bill is actually supported. It is also very much hypothetical in its application at the moment. If liberal parents start suing teachers for mentioning heterosexuality, I bet some supporters will have different feelings about the bill. But ultimately, if you are afraid of your kid hearing about homosexuality in a classroom, you are by definition a homophobe. If you are afraid of teachers "grooming" your kid to be gay, you are a homophobe. Also, if you think the law is good and useful, or think some idea is morally correct, you should be willing to get called a name over it. People might get mad at you. Some people need to get some thicker skin.

4. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don’t think hiking taxes on residents of Orange and Osceola county to the tune of $2200 per family and putting those counties in a position to provide municipal services that they are wholly unprepared and incapable to provide are wise decisions.

And I don’t think government should dish out retribution for opinions that politicians don’t happen to like.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Not at all. You’re assuming a negative.

6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Fair point. Cancel culture is just people using mean words to describe people. This is using the government to exact revenge against somebody for saying something you disagree with. It is different.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    #1 Seems like a question state Republicans should have considered when giving them out in the first place. Whatever the case, they decided they were entitled to them, probably under the pro-business/job-creation ideology they purport to support. I suppose it is their prerogative to retroactively make the rationale "unconditional loyalty" and torch their own ideology while possibly giving hundreds of thousands of Floridians a substantial debt/tax bill to deal with the fallout.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Me, when De-nazi takes the privaleges away, I would LOVE to see them say: Fine, we are moving the entire infrastructure out of state.

How you like us now Ronnie?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Well
    Amazon didn’t deserve Special tax breaks in NY so I doubt Disney really does in Florida. However, that’s not the issue. The issue for me is WHY those privileges might be stripped. Retribution is not a good reason.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    These creeps are out of control. I can't help but think it's going to end badly for them. I don't think Florida as a whole is conservative enough to support this crap for long.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You're saying that the Republicans are using Florida's government to retaliate against Disney's political speech in order to pressure them to be apolitical? And you are going to defend that?

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm okay with Disney losing some privileges. But I would feel a lot better about it if the state government had taken some time to talk through things with the counties that are about to be saddled with some huge bills and come up with a plan to make this work for all Floridians, not just those who stand to gain some name recognition in their upcoming presidential campaign.

13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I am just stating the reality. Disney decided to engage in politics. And now they get to deal with the consequences. In this case...no longer having advantages afforded them. Advantages others are not getting. They get to be treated equally now.

And I certainly do not have a problem with that. Regardless of the fact they injected themselves into the issue. With that...they misrepresented the bill and will continue to lose if they want to push on this issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007

15. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    most of the same big gov lovers that support this also support welfare churches.

16. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    What a tool. I haven't lived in Florida for a long time, but when I did, I remember it as being laid back, tolerant, and definitely not trying to outdo the actual Southern states, they of the self-righteous, morally-superior BS.

17. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    BS. They do not care if Disney is political. If Disney had come out in favor of Big Gov Ron's big gov, this would not be happening.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That's fair. I'm not saying this is a good or bad decision, I'm saying it's a risky decision.

Democrats Want To Hold Social Media Companies Responsible For Health Misinformation

I mean, this is one example.

Democrats are much more subtle about this, but they do the same thing. They pressure companies into saying what the government wants them to say under threat of liability. And this one's from Klobuchar, who I consider to be a relatively moderate Democrat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Two things here:
    1) how exactly are they "misrepresenting" bill? The legislation specifically cites gender and sexual identity, not sex education. Democrats wanted to amend the bill to include sex education as well and the Republicans said "no dice" Why is that, do ya think? Do you recall your own children being taught about sexual identity in the primary grades?

No? That's because they weren't.

2) remember Citizens United? Corporations are people? If this bill is retaliation for Disney's stance on this legislation, then it most definitely a First Amendment violation.

Again, Florida taxpayers will be on the hook for defending blatantly unconstitutional legislation emanating from this clown show of a legislature.

Edit to add: there are 17 special districts in the Villages. Is that okay because they are mostly white conservatives that think like you do?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You see democrats wanting to allow citizens to sue those who amplify misinformation as the same thing as what DeSantis just did to Disney? Am I reading this correctly?