Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis signs bill banning balloon releases

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Jun 26, 2024.

1. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
  2. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The governor explained it in the article.

In a letter explaining his veto, DeSantis argued Wednesday the measure was “ill-advised” and had a “fatal infirmity”: It gives the Florida health department authority to close state beaches, waterways and pools.

The department “should not be vested with the power to supersede local jurisdictions regarding the operation of beaches,” the governor wrote.

3. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    I never understood why it isn’t considered littering. Even worse is releasing those flame powered paper lanterns that aren’t illegal everywhere. Those are two really dumb actions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    Plastic straws issue is a non-issue to me. Have you ever tried to enjoy a Chick-Fil-A peach shake with a paper straw? Striped plastic straws make excellent Spanish mackerel lures. Can’t remember ever hearing about a sea turtle in the gulf or a calf on a ranch choking to death on a straw.

Plastic bags are another story. They are everywhere; hanging off trees on the side of the road, blowing across parking lots, washing down storm drains, in ditches, floating all around ponds and lakes, being eaten by sea turtles that think they are jellyfish and by farm animals that aren’t too bright, and on and on. Can’t understand why sustainable paper bags don’t make more sense.

5. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    Imagine sitting in a Culver’s or Chick-Fil-A and tipping the milkshake cup up to get some to flow down the side to your mouth and the whole damn slug of shake ends up on your face and that hottie you have been making goo-goo eyes at has to laugh and walk away disappointed that you aren’t quite the stud that she thought you were at first glance. Damn that false macho no straw theory!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    And how much water have you wasted washing it for ten years when you could just crumple up a paper cup and throw it out your car window? ;)

7. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    RE you second paragraph, I will never understand people throwing garbage on the side of the road. I realize some of it comes from garbage trucks losing their haul but I bet the vast many of it is thrown from the window of a vehicle.

As a cyclist, it really aggravates the nasty out of me to encounter broken glass in a bike lane. I’ve lost tires and tubes because of it. Oh well, just endeavor to persevere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Yes. But that’s irrelevant. I am not instilled as the fiduciary of the State of Florida.

9. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    love Publix but they really do need to educate the 16- year old baggers that each plastic bag can hold more than one item. And I don’t need one when I’m buying just a small bottle of aspirin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This might seem a rational argument, but for the fact Desantis obviously would argue the Governor has that power. His “principled stand” is saying agencies can’t act autonomously even on matters that should be sort of quantitative in nature, and I think measuring water quality easily fits that bill.

I assume most municipalities would do the right thing or be worried about lawsuits if they covered up water issues, but why even open the door for a Mayor Vaugh type (the seedy mayor from Jaws)?

11. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    And you buy that? Don’t you want to know if you’re swimming in shit? Reminds me of the mayor in Jaws

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
  12. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Fwiw, I'm not a huge Desantis fan. But, sure. I do. If the power was limited to testing and notification he may have passed it. Maybe they'll modify it and we'll find out?

Why do you think he vetoed it?

13. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Because Chamber of Commerce types don’t want it. I know when I’m in the boat in the Indian River not only would I never get in it, I don’t even want that water to splash on me. Once you get past the Sebastian Inlet it gets a lot better.

Like I said, gives me Jaws vibes. I do hope they figure something out because that’s nasty.

14. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Escambia county tests pretty regularly and they do post notifications. They may shut down waterways but the ones that need to be shut down I wouldn't swim in anyway so I'm not sure. We need to demand better from our local officials. Bigger angency isn't always the answer. I'm not upset about this but I see how others can be.

15. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    My issue is that this governor wants to tie the hands of local officials in many different ways. Can’t require regulations for people working in the heat, housing for farm workers. If you believe that government closest to the people is best than this doesn’t make sense.

Too many times he’s more concerned about being a right wing darling than trying to improve the lives of Floridians.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1