Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis signs bill banning balloon releases

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Jun 26, 2024.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    About time!

Hard to believe this wasn't done years ago, considering how much harm balloons cause to our Florida wildlife & ecosystem........

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    When he’s not chasing his Hate Agenda, he does things that are positive.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Glad to see him focusing on the really important issues :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a fan of Desantis but I definitely support this. There's not much upside to releasing a bunch of balloons other than a few fleeting seconds of happiness I suppose when you watch them float away only to become someone else's problem.

Hopefully enforcement doesn't become too much of a burden but imagine just by cutting out any corporations, businesses, wedding venues or county governments who may do this for events you'll stop the bulk of it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I agree as well. The only thing I wonder, if this isn't a stunt and he's suddenly so concerned about the environment, is why he hasn't banned more pernicious and widespread plastic products, such as straws, bags, and so on almost ad infinitem, not to mention Styrofoam. Further, if he's so worried about the environment, why did he ban the phrase "climate change" from being mentioned in state law?

Big Government Ron is a fraud, but at least he got balloons regulated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    You mean like when our “environmentally friendly” governor decided he’d get high fives from MAGA by taxing only electric stoves and eliminating the tax from gas stoves?!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SotaGator

SotaGator Sophomore

Apr 4, 2014
    For many years, the medical establishment has tried with limited success to bring attention to this world's diminishing supply of helium, a non-renewable resource. Used in medicine and scientific research, it's global supply has been sold like a commodity. MRI machines cannot run without helium to cool the magnets.
    So I'm glad that some progress is being made by banning balloon releases for environmental reasons, but realistically restrictions of helium use for entertainment purposes should have been addressed years ago.
    Baby steps, baby steps.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    You don't think the environment is an important issue?

o_O

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ron "Don't Say Climate Change" DeSantis, our environmentalist governor (laughing as I type that last part.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    We do, but he doesn't

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This is probably a good thing. But as it’s not something many would think about, I’m guessing small potatoes (or more like micro sprouts) compared to the environmental impact of something like plastic grocery bags and straws. It’s a small niche. Esp when juxtaposed against some of Desantis other actions.

To Desantis’ credit, he at one point blocked a Republican presented law that would have prevented Florida municipalities from banning plastic bags and straws. So I guess he’s consistent on this plastics littering issue, although in just vetoing the other state Republicans he didn’t *do* anything per se, it was just maintaining the status quo and preventing nutbar anti-environmental law to rule over certain cities and areas like Sanibel Island where they either already ban bags and straws or are considering it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’m skeptical that plastic bag and straw bans move the needle. What is that trying to accomplish? In the US a vast majority ends up in landfills like everything else.

There is a world wide plastic in the ocean and environment problem but it come from China and other countries.

Some states have banned single use plastic bags. So now grocers are using more heavy duty plastic bags that can be reused ….in theory but most only get used once, and in these states/areas the plastic bag amount in landfills is actually increasing.

I do support the reduction of plastic for consumer purposes, especially foods, as micro and nano plastics are building up in our body and most likely never go away.

• Like Like x 3
  14. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Agree on the helium issue, but they do make biodegradable balloons just for the purpose of release.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DeSantis is furthering gender confusion with this law, if you cant release pink or blue balloons at a gender reveal party, how will we know the gender of your baby? I thought this was where woke goes to die. Shame.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Right wing war on balloons! Where is the individual right to let off a balloon?!?!?! Ron "Nanny State" Desantis with more big brother rulings. Will we have to get a permit to throw a birthday party with balloons? Ridiculous commie action that is more invasive than vaccines. At least vaccines were supposed to save people, these balloons are going to save, what? A lizard or bird from eating it? Its called natural selection. Dont eat balloons dumb animals.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Balloons don't kill people, people do

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    A lot of the plastics that are “recycled” end up overseas as well. Maybe just doing stuff to improve the rate of plastics that are actually recycled domestically is more impactful than a ban on its own. But, as with most large scale pollution/environmental issues probably something that needs a multifaceted approach to really solve. There is no one single or simple thing.

I agree just using heavier duty bags definitely sounds stupid, I went to one of those stores (they admonished me for not having my own bags already and then charged me for their bags!) - so I know exactly what you are talking about. It was more like a Macy’s bag than a grocery bag. I was on a vacation so I used those bags a second time, but that was it. I bet each one of those heavier bags used is like 10x the volume of plastic and like you say I bet most people just toss them right away. They might even be more difficult to recycle.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
  19. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    It’s crucially important, so why not address it more comprehensively? “Baby steps” are woefully insufficient at this point, IMO.

20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    This is who we are dealing with.

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/16/1251769080/florida-desantis-climate-change-law

Starting July 1:

But hey we solved the balloon "problem"