Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis passes Trump in latest round of polls...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Dec 7, 2022.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Perhaps uou are unaware that authoritarian Colorado in a battle with a Web Designer for refusing to design gay marriage themed sites.

Lower courts have already ruled against her right

You have to try really hard to not call graphic design "art".

As for shoes and shirts. Cite the federal or state law that requires such. There is none.
    That is generally the BUSINESSES RIGHT or some vague health board.

Generally no government entity governs that rule

As for the FDA etc. Yes they exist for a reason. But if the overreach as you say, that becomes a form of authoritarianism.

And certainly when governors pass executive orders that go beyond what even many health experts deem necessary which happened in some liberal states, you reach a level of authoritarianism.

Lets stop acting like politicians are in this for liberty and freedom. They are not. Yours are not. Mine are not.

Lets stop that facade.

3. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Then he wasted $44 billion as hysterical partisans perform for free.

4. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I'm hoping for this, and think there is a real good chance of it... if DS comes out on top of the primaries.

The only thing that might stop DT from going 3rd party is the 100% guarantee that HE will lose massively if he does. Not sure his ego could take that and claims of fraud won't help him when we only pulls 25% of the vote.

5. tilly

Except....wiat for it... I have debated it. Many times. THIS thread was about poling. We have Desantis threads.

If I won't debate it than how come so many people seem to know my position?

6. tilly

@officelife ?

7. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Not a deflection. I was responding to your post about me calling him God Boy. He earned it with that ad. And one thing DeSantis did that Trump didn't do is use immigrants as pawns for his Martha's Vineyard political stunt. That alone should disqualify him, but the MAGA crowd that DeSantis is trying to commandeer loved it. No decent Christian would do something like that. No decent person would do something like that either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    You don’t have to be a Trump supporter to acknowledge that Trump Derangement Syndrome won out.

In 2016 he wrecked the hopes of Pantsuit Nation and so all creatures great and small and all forces under heaven were arrayed to destroy him.

9. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    So there can only be one Desantis discussion thread? Hmmm.... he must be special as I recall there being lots of Hillary threads, Bush threads, Trump threads, etc.

But my point in the reply is that you "laughed off" the negatives against DS and then claimed we just don't like him because he is anti-progressive agenda.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That's the best bill they can get through with the Republicans obstructing anything more.

A few points here:
    1. Let's be clear, you're calling anti-discrimination laws "authoritarian." That would include the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
    2. There is a strong argument that forcing an artist to create something is compelled speech and violates the First Amendment if it does not survive strict scrutiny. The challenge is drawing the line on what is art and whether an anti-discrimination law survives strict scrutiny.

Along those lines, I'm on the fence with the baker, but I'd be inclined to call what he's doing art and apply strict scrutiny. Anti-discrimination laws (real ones, at least) advance a compelling interest. So the question would then come down to narrow tailoring.

Closing schools in the face of an unprecedented pandemic is something both Republicans and Democrats alike did. It is also something basically every major democracy on Earth did. So no, it's not authoritarianism.

I believe in the right to bodily autonomy (which also protects abortion rights, FYI), so those employees would be able to challenge that dictate and require that it pass strict scrutiny. But to be clear, if you're talking about the OSHA rule, it required a vaccine OR routine testing.

I cast these issues aside because they either deal with a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic (hopefully) or anti-discrimination laws. They aren't malicious decisions intended solely to advance the person's political career, unlike DeSantis's routine constitutional violations.

Let's be clear what I dislike. I don't care if you call me out. I dislike that you are gleefully supporting a bigoted, wannabe authoritarian like DeSantis.

I'd love to see proof of that actually happening, and I'm not talking about right-wing supposition.

What?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I suspect that criminal convictions are going to exclude DT from being eligible. I just don't know if they will be handed down before the priamries or not but I think the trials should be completed by then. Winning a case before a political body like the senate is much different than winning one in a court of law, assuming that his fav judge Cannon is not the presiding judge. The volume of evidence on the classified documents, Georgia interference, and on the Jan 6 attempted coup is overwhelming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Same question about the web designer. Is it art if three couples all ask for the exact same website? Only difference is the pictures they use? One difference, and I don't know the details of the case, is she an independent contractor? Or does she work for a firm considered public accommodation?

I also think motivation is important. You think closing of schools during a global pandemic was done for personal, authoritarianism reasons? Or forcing public accommodation shops to treat customers equally isn't advancing the cause of equality and freedom? I do.

So let's go back to DeSantis, and his personal vendetta against Disney. Give me a good reason why any politician would remove Disney's tax advantage status and I'll listen. I've yet to hear one other than owning the libs, which is not a good reason.

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I don’t get why the Dems so fear Trump that they want to bar him from ever running again. Aren’t 2020 and the midterms sufficient evidence that he should be their preferred opponent ?

Lends itself to the conclusion that they hate him with an eternal hatred and therefore are determined to extinguish him from history.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Let's be very clear about the facts of that case. The woman has never been asked to design a wedding site for a gay couple. She's never designed a site for any married couple. And Colorado hasn't punished her in any way.

She's suing because she wants to post on her website that she does not serve gay couples. What stops her from doing that? An anti-discrimination law. The same type of anti-discrimination law that stops businesses in the South from posting signs saying "No blacks allowed." How authoritarian of the government! :rolleyes:

And let's be even more clear, the 10th Circuit held that the anti-discrimination law at issue only survived because it satisfies strict scrutiny. In other words, it recognized that there was compelled speech in her case.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Dems would probably be fine with Trump as the Republican candidate in 2024 although they did underestimate him in 2016 and are concerned that 2024 could be be a repeat of 2024 albeit a very unlikely repeat. What they also fear is that he would try to pull the same stunt that he did after he lost the election in 2020 and that they as well as a small number of Republicans believe that he should pay the price for his attempted and fortunately failed coup d'état on January 6, 2021 as well as his various other crimes.

16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    They fear another low-IQ riot which dispersed a couple of hours after cops arrived ?

17. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn’t realize you were a one-issue voter. Must have missed that.

18. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This was a rigged RINOs-only poll. Let’s wait for the poll of real republicans to come out.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. tilly

Good thing Jesus came to save all of us indecent people. He left the 99 to save the wayward. Your lack of understanding of the faith is sadly on you.

I won't be voting for perfect Christians. I won't be voting for Christians that have no bad judgements of character.

There is no such thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tilly

Call 9t as you see fit. I am not a one issue voter per se, but when comparing, that one puts one side over the top for me.

Now at the local level I tend to be focused less on social issues and more about how they do for our community.

In that regard, I have never hesitated to go blue.