Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis passes Trump in latest round of polls...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Dec 7, 2022.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You voted for Trump. You are passionately supporting DeSantis. You sure do take a shine to repulsive authoritarians.

Well, shit, I might as well refer to myself as a moderate progressive. The word "moderate" apparently has no meaning. If "hard left" means "pro freedom and anti-authoritarian," you got me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    For some strange reason you like to portray yourself as a moderate but you are not one. If you were a moderate you would not be such a big DeSantis fan and you'd actually vote for candidates who support the things you claim to support, like public healthcare. DeSantis won't even expand Medicaid to help the people of his state. And you're a huge fan. I can only guess it's because you like politicians who do things like lie to desperate immigrants and fly them to Martha's Vineyard as pawns in a political stunt, and misuse taxpayer dollars to do it. Such a Christian thing for God Boy to do. What a phony, just like Trump.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Wouldn't a true moderate sometimes vote for a more progressive candidate and sometimes vote for a more conservative one depending on the context? For all your claims on issues, how many candidates have you voted for that have supported providing expanded universal healthcare or restricting guns in the last 4 cycles?

I mean, you hated Trump and you wouldn't vote for a pretty moderate Democrat who opposed him. Biden is hardly a hard lefty type. Meanwhile, you are forcefully backing a guy who isn't really a moderate against him.

Let's try this exercise: if your candidates won each time, what would health care or gun policy look like today? Would we have less people with health care and fewer gun regulations than we do today?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I've said ot a million times. Its a numbers game for me. All a dem has to do is be pro life, and I'm all in.

You also act like BOTH sides dont come with their share of things I disagree with.

If you create a candidate in a oab that is pro life, pro health care and pro gun control, they will get my vote.

It doesnt exist however.

And lets stop the exercise. Nothing is really done about gins when the entire federal government is a democratic majority. We get a lot of hand wringing and politicizing of tragedies, but not much real action.

No the issue here is I'm a person that dislikes both sides. And frankly, i get a lot of heat from my own.

Do i need to remind you about entire threads about me being a liberal rino 9n a certain other board after the great defection?

But I will vote the numbers. Abortion wins my vote. You can hate it, not think 8ts important etc. It's my vote. It will never go for anyone who wants abortion on demand to continue outside of health exceptions.

5. tilly

"God boy" and "phony". Lol.

Middle school name calling is fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tilly

And for clarity. I portray myself as myself.
    Wherever that falls is wherever it falls.

I certainly am not a liberal.
    I am certainly not maga.
    Ive probably sent more dems to DC with my votes than most of you have Pubs.

You guys really miss the maga defectors dont you. Gotta pick a fight with someone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tilly

Whenever you guys mention I " voted for Trump" without mentioning I turned on the clown and didn't vote for him a second time you lose credibility and show you have a poor argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    You’re already taking a lot of heat but I’d suggest burning down the house for abortion is too much. Abortion won’t be stopped by Republican Party. Freedom and democracy will though.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You turned on him for Ron DeSantis. The point of mentioning it is that you fell for the wannabe-authoritarian clown show once and are doing it again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Biden signs gun safety bill into law

11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The polls actually seem to be all over the place with no candidate consistently in the lead. From 538.com
    upload_2022-12-8_9-11-37.png

12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    You ever get around to watching this ad?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Agree. Waaay too early. Biden wasn’t on the radar til South Carolina. Trump came out of nowhere too.

14. tilly

Isn't that the bill that does basically nothing that would have saved a single student, while basically just tossing incentives at states to do what the feds havent?

Like I said, "not MUCH REAL action" .

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

I love how you only see one side of the coins. But the government forcing an artist to create content, and using it's weight and threats of financial ruin isn't authoritarian somehow?

Like locking kids away from their schools and friends for much longer than originally needed wasn't authoritarianism?

Like taking 30 year careers away from great and valuable employees who did not take a shot into their bodies when the "my body, my choice" people demanded was't authoritarianism?

You will cast these issues aside because you dont like the points, but authoritarianism comes in many shapes and sizes.

What you guys hate about me is that I call out both sides. Both parties are led by power zealous narcissists who know better than the peasants.

Biden administration (Jankowics) calling for law enforcement and government to look at and limit free speach in social media authoritarianism?

The term exists. "Competitive Authoritarianism" is a real thing. There are hundreds of articles dealing with it. Many from not so conservative sources.

16. tilly

Of course. But that hasn't been the cry from many here. Some have grown solid in their belief that Trump has an ironclad grip and no one can compete, and Trump is the right win now... Etc.

Yet we have a dramatic shift in polling data now.

It is certainly valid to discuss and a sign that his grip is either not as strong as thought or simply just weakening.

This is a bad sign for Trump and likely a bad sign for dems who probably were hoping the GOP would trot out the orange guy again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    There's a fine line between artist and artisan. And the baker with a storefront should be expected to treat all customers equally. If three couples came in, one straight, one gay, one lesbian, and all asked for the same exact wedding cake saying "Congratulations Kris and Pat!" are the cakes works of art? Or are they the work of an artisan, because the cakes, while ornate and difficult to make, are identical? And why should, in a public accommodation shop, the gay and lesbian couple be treated different than the straight couple?

As for the vaccine and school closures, public health has long been a job for the government. Is it authoritarian to require shirts and shoes for service? Shouldn't we be free to walk into any store as we see fit? Well, requiring guests to wear shoes and shirts is for public health. Same reason several government agencies exist, like the FDA, which have all sorts of rules for public spaces like the bakery, restaurants, and food manufacturing facilities. Sometimes you can argue the FDA and other agencies are overreaching, and at times, I think we could agree. But they exist for a reason, and that reason isn't authoritarianism. It's public health.

Now, contrast that with Trump trying to overturn an election based on zero evidence? Or DeSantis taking away Disney's tax advantages because Disney is supporting a "woke agenda," and the Governor's agenda. What are the reasons behind the actions? Is there any real justification for what the politicians were doing and they just arguably took things too far?

Just calling out both sides isn't enough. I would suggest you need to try and understand both sides of the story as well. And if anyone has a good justification for Trump's or DeSantis' actions, I'm happy to listen and try to understand. From where I stand, there aren't any good justifications, unless you think owning da libs is justification for a politician to act like an authoritarian.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. tilly

Nice deflection.

Wanna here a shocker. I believe God placed Biden in the White House. Or at least allowed it. (Romans 13:1)

That being said, I find ads like that bordering on blasphemous, though i don't believe that was the intent. I hate the ad.

What I do know is unlike Trump, RD loves his family, hasnt left multiple wives for super models, been a sexual predator, faked his Bible toting, claimed he doesnt need forgiveness for his wrongs, gone on profanity laced tirades, gotten banned from twitter, claimed he could murder people in the street with no consequences, talked about grabbing women by the **$$*, said a litany of hateful things about people looks and weight, actually had a covid plan, can formulate a sentence, spell correctly etc etc.

So yeah. I hate the ad. Thought it was a terrible decision. But its old news now.

19. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    The post you replied to contains a nice list of why I hate Deathsantis. Yet you just "laugh" at it and don't feel it is worth debating it and jump to the conclusion that we hate him because he won't bow to the "progressive agenda".

Reminds me of this...

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1