Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Deion Sanders chaotic culture turns into locker room violence in Colorado

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Aug 4, 2024.

1. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    I played football against Deion in high school growing up, so not a big fan of his. Mainly, I was getting sick of that poster, so I was mostly trying to push his buttons. If you remember that was during the time of the rise of gangster rap and being a gangster was "cool", but I don't remember anyone else on UF's or FSU's roster looking and acting like that. There are plenty of fake people in this world and Deion is one of them. Now he wears a cowboy hat, boots and prays for everyone, while trashing them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Posers is what we call those guys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    All hat, no cattle

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not going to weigh in on the soundness of Deion's novel strategy for roster building. It might work. It might not.

It's very imbalanced though against high school recruiting. 82nd nationally on 7 signings for 2025, 95 and 12 for 2024 (per The Athletic.)

Low numbers is one thing if they are all good. But none of the 7 are Top-250. Only 3 are blue chip. Only 2 are OL or DL (where they need the most long-term help.) "Long-term."

He says he's staying after his kids and Hunter leave this year. He also said Jackson State was where God wanted him. Call me cynical, but I think God will conveniently have a new plan.

Edit: 247 has them #8 in the portal. That's with 42 commits! By far the most in the top 50. #2 has 31. But...#25 rank based on average, just ahead of Minnesota. 13 SEC teams ahead of Colorado average.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    Honestly, I had my doubts of self-absorbed, self-promoting Sanders making a long term impact on any team. I have never liked him, starting when he publicly stated he didn’t need to nor did he attend classes at FSU. He surely was a great player including how he artfully dodged getting mauled by trying to tackle a big back or receiver. I can’t imagine him being a coach anywhere. He is an inch deep and a mile wide.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I share your skepticism as to whether he stays in Boulder after this season when Shadeur, Shilo, and Travis Hunter all leave. But maybe he'll surprise us and keep at it a couple more years.

We'll see if his portal-heavy strategy works. But if you want to win now, it makes sense. Last year I had come to the conclusion he would be good at enticing skill players to want to play with him, but lineman wouldn't buy in to his shtick and Deion's teams would always be limited as a result. He actually did a good job improving his lines through the portal this year. Remember, Colorado was TERRIBLE when he took over. Even Just going 6-6 or 7-5 is an accomplishment considering he took over a 1-win team. Is it sustainable? Probably not given how much his sons play a role in their current success. But I do think its fair to remember Colorado is way better than they were pre-Deion.

7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Sanders built a reputation by having a son and getting a player (Hunter) too talented for a low level team. Then he got to stack solid talent way above their league.

Now he’s at P5 that talent advantage disappeared and he’s exposed. Even worse is his two best guys will be gone and he won’t be able to restock. He’s unable to build a program or maintain it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I don't want to be that guy, but I am withholding judgment until more comes to light. I suspect fights happen with football teams somewhat regularly. Up to this point, as a coach, Deion has generally outperformed. Even last season was a vast outperform. Most analysts had CU with 3 wins tops. They won 4 and that was with a schedule which included 6 Top 25 teams. Most of their losses were one possession games at the final bell. Say whatever you want, but that is a massive upgrade from a team that won 1 game and turned over almost the entire roster. We know what he did at Jackson State.

I don't condone many of these allegations (if they are true), but at the end of the day, winning cures all. The Buffs seem poised for a bowl appearance this season, bringing back the Sanders boys and Hunter. Their schedule is a lot more favorable than last year's. If they win 7 or 8 games, nobody is going to be talking about the OP (no offense Rick). If they win 9 or more, you won't stop hearing about Prime. Results matter.

You would be surprised by what some programs allow as the norm. While I am not advocating for that at UF, I will remind everyone that UF won two championships with Urban Meyer at the helm who had a murderer on his team. If you don't think things got chippy at times on the practice field in Gainesville during that time, we must have been watching two different teams. Again, I'm not condoning most of this stuff, I'm just sayin.. it's a results business. Nobody cares if the team got along and won 4 games.

9. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    For all of the offensive line woes CU had last season, Shedeur Sanders still put up a 27-3 TD-int ratio with a 151.7 QB rating. That is unreal. I have a feeling whether we like it or not, we're not going to stop hearing about Prime Time this fall. Shedeur Sanders is the most accurate and poised QB in all of college football. When you have a QB like that, you're going to win games.

10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    No, he had two FUTURE murderers on his team, but my guess is he did nothing because he couldn't get that crystal ball he had to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Just a big coinkidink that Meyer had two murderers on his team and none of our other coaches had any murderers, right? The other coaches had working crystal balls I guess, right?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
  12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Getting a flash in the pan vibe on him.

13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    As I pointed out in my earlier post no UF coach had any murderer's on their team. As far as future murderer's go I guess technically Zook had one of them too. Maybe he also had a fuzzy magic 8 ball.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    It was definitely because Meyer specifically recruited murderers. Who was oj’s coach? That guy knew how to pick em too.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Pretty sure it was Spurrier's old coach at Tampa Bay, John McKay.

• Like Like x 1
  16. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    As did Tom Osborne to all the above.

• Like Like x 1
  17. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Well, to be honest, McKay did say when questioned about his offenses execution, "I'm all for it." OJ took that to heart.

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure that you read the whole article... especially the part where Deion's son is/was directly involved part.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You are so full of shit

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

Wasn't neon deion part of the "free shoes" group that Bowden made to run stair steps?