Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Deion + Saban’s recruits = natty

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by okeechobee, Sep 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Looking past a person's words and deeds is a tall ask when they've said and done some of the things DS has said and done over the years. But that's just my take on the guy and I suppose you are right about him having some things to impart about self-confidence and being outspoken regardless of the consequences. But readily apparent instances of "respecting and caring for others" are vanishingly scarce in DS's historical record. And I would submit that not wanting my kid to come home acting like a trashy, self-seeking ass hat, as a direct result of DS's example and "teachings," is a valid point. But that's just me.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I think the disconnect is that Deion is all about himself (even when he says the right things, he usually frames it about himself) and that turns off a lot of people. But when it comes to today's youth, he speaks their language and connects with them better than most other coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    A "clown" who has taken a 1-11 program with the emptiest cupboard in the PAC 12 and has them ranked #18 nationally in week 3. If that makes him a "clown", what is Napier? If you follow my posts on Too Hot, you'd know how resistant I am when people play the race card. But it feels a lot like racism, some of these anti-Deion posts. There are so many coaches that are horrible leaders of young men. Deion's son has a near 4.0 GPA and Deion emphasizes education and carrying themselves with dignity. The CU players show up to games in suits and ties. In the lexicon of head coaches being kids about being a man, you can easily do a lot worse than Deion Sanders. Deion has never quit on his kids and Deion has never told a kid whatever they wanted to hear to get them to sign.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I agree. I just wouldn't want my kid anywhere near Deion. Football as a career is fleeting. But developing good character is a lifelong proposition and young minds are malleable. I don't approve of some trends and attitudes prevalent in the world today, and I would not be content to expose my child to them. That's just me though, and the modern world is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Most coaches are fake. Deion may rub you the wrong way, but what you see is what you get with Deion Sanders. He's authentic, when so many other coaches are fake douchers (Brian Kelly comes to mind). And I'm not seeing Deion talking about himself much at all in press conferences the past few weeks. The only time he does is when a reporter asks him a question about himself, which happens a lot. Deion can't control which questions reporters ask him, yet he still does a pretty good job of turning the question around to credit the kids and his assistant coaches.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    You make valid points but I think there is far more to Sanders than people want to or are willing to admit.
    We all remember Sanders show boating from his playing days. He also founded a school and plenty of charity work that didn't make the news.
    I never gave any thought about Sanders until he popped back up at Jackson ST. Recently with all the press, I have been digging deeper into the man and have been turned on to more than his media/brand personality.
    Did you know he tried to commit suicide by driving his car off a 40 foot drop? That moment he attributes to his turn around because he didn't die, so he gave himself over to God. His been a model citizen and mentor since.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Deion doesn’t rub me the wrong way. I’m just reflecting on why he’s such a polarizing figure and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s because in general, he frames everything in the context of Prime and not the university or the team as a whole. I do find that refreshing that he can speak his mind and do things his way, but I can also understand why some dislike him because they are used to coaches acting a certain way.

We all had to learn how to be effective communicators based on who we are communicating with. Success allows a lot of leeway, but I can see this situation quickly spiraling negatively for him as he start to underperform. Reminds me of the things Urban got away with, but once he started losing, it all ended badly for him in Jacksonville.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I didn't know about the SA, or the apparent epiphany that followed. And despite his recent antics and on-going "showmanship," I sincerely hope you're right. Unfortunately, the rank BS about DS finding room for umbrage with some bland remark by a rival coach is not especially encouraging. We shall see in the fullness of time. Frankly, part of my agita with this morning's talk of Deion even being considered for replacing BN has more to do with my frustration with the "I want it all and I DEMAND it now crowd. To be seriously calling for the ouster of a coach in his second season, because of rank, vastly pre-mature envy is beyond ridiculous. And the crap I saw elsewhere about a poster maybe being a racist because he doesn't like Dieon is mind-boggling. It really disappoints me to see that stuff in this space. Don't we already have a forum for virtue signaling and gross insults elsewhere? Asking for a friend.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    That is genius on him and a mark of a competitor. 1) it puts the media on him and not the team. 2) He uses it to focus the team, he creates his own bulletin board material to get them fired up. 3) he is getting Colorado and himself into the news cycle. Brand buzz, free publicity and the recruits are paying attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    red dress meme okeechobee.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Congratulations! You just earned Deion’s #1 Fan Award!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You just made chobee jealous.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  13. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I would not say #1 fan but definitely interested. I will be tuning in to watch the game for the 3rd week in a row.

14. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Yup, the old I don't care what they say about me, just get the damn name right gag. If it didn't work, people wouldn't still be doing it. But the only genius who deserves credit for this particular tactic is the Neanderthal who originally came up with it in a Farside cartoon some time ago.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    10pm game after a day of heavy drinking and partying after our win. Don’t think I’ll make it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    That just sounds like a good decision - all the way around.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Let them out ass-kiss each other lol

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Talk about a sports spectacular for the ages...

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I have 5 words for you: go back to Too Hot

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    At least since his move to CU, I'm not seeing what you're describing above. I've watched several interviews with him. He does talk about how he approaches things as the leader of the program, but I am not seeing a focus on himself. Perhaps you can point some things out to me I may have missed. And again, if you watch said interviews of late, reporters are asking him about Deion a lot, so he can only evade questions from reporters so much. I have heard him say multiple times "this is about the players, not me" in response to some of those questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.