Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DEI Captures The University of Florida

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by originalnycgator, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    What I want is for entitled white people - thankfully a minority who somehow feel threatened - to stop obsessing about this. In the scheme of things, it's a raging hurricane in a tiny teapot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    See you in another 10 years

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    I know that you find the link you posted by this clown informative/appealing and are in agreement. I have a big brain I can extrapolate…..

4. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Look, by posting something from that fellow, I assume you were implying you agreed with his disparagement of DEI. You have every right to your opinion. The quote by him in swampbabe's post explains why many of us find that opinion repugnant. Is it racist? I don't know you and can't reach that conclusion, but there are overtones of insensitivity to race and different lifestyles in the piece you posted and the author's history. We have every right to express our opinion.

DEI isn't the end of the world.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Who is this in reference to? It's an honest admission if it's to you. If it isn't, perhaps you ought to what I do occasionally: examine your viewpoint for unwarranted biases.

6. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty much any major corporation will have a DEI initiative. My company has it and one of the dastardly programs is finding ways to support an organization that provides manufacturing jobs to developmentally disabled adults. Just undermining the pillars of American society.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I've worked at UF for 20 years now. I have been all over this university. Am close with several prominent figures in the administration and even some past BOT members. DEI has not taken over UF. Period. The end. It gets token discussion - and people that care about it go to trainings and maybe even pay attention some times. When people do talk about it, it's more about making sure we take care of traditionally disadvantaged students to make sure we can retain them once they come to school, same with the faculty. There has been some work lately on culturally responsive mentoring - but that is hardly a crazy thing - it's just designed to make people of color and other marginalized groups in higher education have a better shot at being successful. It got some big talk ALL OVER THE STATE as others have said because LITERALLY THE STATE OF FLORIDA wanted to make sure we were doing a good job staying in the top 5 discussion, and part of that was being at least token responsive on DEI issues.

The actual number of people that work on this stuff is minimal. A part of the provost's office I have been involved with recently, including UF online and all the instructional designers, etc. - do take some courses on making sure they build equitable and inclusive courses, but that is literally about everyone, and also focuses on issues of access for poor and rural people not just people of color. But even then, it's a fraction, a tiny fraction of what they do, and there is no DEI czar coming after them. In the provost's office - a place run be predominantly old white men, it just isn't a big issue except for the occasional, let's stay out of trouble. The people that run UF are, and always have been, state boot lickers. They know where their bread is buttered.

So yeah, this crazy man Rufo spins a good story - he really does I applaud his intelligence - he's good at whipping things into a frenzy. But I can say with 100% confidence he is
    FULL OF SHIT.

• Informative x 6
    • Best Post Ever x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Of course. The DEI programs in our universities aren't just about race/ethnicity. They also include programs for disabled people, veterans, sexual orientation/gender identity, etc. Because it actually is about diversity and inclusion, as much as some bad faith actors try to claim otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    One should be pretty skeptical since he made similar and unsupported claims about New College. Having found little to raise eyebrows there with their DEI, he's just throwing stuff around again trying to keep the rubes hot and bothered.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If I were to be concerned about anything re: UF right now, this wouldn't make the top 100. At the top for me is the current attack on tenure, which in turn is already starting to affect UF's ability to recruit high-level talent. I frankly don't give a rat's ass about Top 5, but I do care about the retention and recruitment of researchers who do a lot of amazing work and have UF currently surpassing the 1 billion mark in research dollars. You know, the type of research that actually does improve the world. If you lose the talent, the research dollars will go with them. All so some power-seeking Tallahassee gnome can use it as a dodo feather in his cap for a presidential run. That is what has me concerned about UF, and generally higher education in this state.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Me too. I thought I was going to be trying to figure out how Dale Earnhardt Incorporated and the University of Florida had a controversial issue.

12. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    While overall this is a very gentile forum there is no expectation that nonsense won’t be pointed out.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Too gentile around here. We need some DEI on THFSG so that we get more Jews posting.

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unwritten, illegal hatred towards white people... under the guise of "inclusion" is nothing more than illegally administered quotas.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'll play the same game as the OP ... where in UF documents does it mandate "hating white people"?

16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Just wait. When they can’t win a debate they will whine and put you on ignore. They only thing that stinks is you can’t see what they write. Gator Country really needs to find a way to correct that part.

17. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    I hate really stupid people. White black green or purple. Nothing illegal about hating them. In fact I practice two minutes of hate each day, clears my head:):) Do you need a tissue?

18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    CRT... 1619 Project... White privilege... are just some of the words and propaganda these people use to gain followers. All under the guise of inclusion and diversity. Let's not forget that their "inclusion" come with "ZERO TOLERANCE" for anything a Pub, only, has done in the past. Dems are completely exempt.

Yeah, that sounds like inclusion to me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sohogator

Aug 22, 2012
    Umm no they don’t

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame