Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Debt ceiling drama already here (deal allegedly reached)

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jan 13, 2023.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Funny that Schumer and Biden have voted against raising the debt ceiling in the past when a Rep was in the White House. This isn’t new from either side. We just have a hyper focused electorate seizing on any divisiveness possible.

3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Deadbeats put conditions on paying back their bills. “I will pay you if…” I am predicting a default this time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Politicians are clowns. They vote for something when they are in charge and the rail against it when they are not. Never vote incumbent ;) absent orange is the new stripes.

5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The US raised the debt ceiling 90 times in the 20th century including 18 times under former President Ronald Reagan, eight times under former President Bill Clinton, seven times under former President George W. Bush, and five times under former President Barack Obama. From 2001, Congress has raised the debt ceiling 14 times from 2001 to 2016. The debt ceiling was raised roughly a total of $5.4 billion during President George W. Bush’s tenure, and it was raised roughly a total of $6.5 during President Obama’s tenure.

History of Debt Limit and Why It Matters | BGR Group

The national debt has risen by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump’s time in office. That’s nearly twice as much as what Americans owe on student loans, car loans, credit cards and every other type of debt other than mortgages, combined, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. It amounts to about $23,500 in new federal debt for every person in the country.

The growth in the annual deficit under Trump ranks as the third-largest increase, relative to the size of the economy, of any U.S. presidential administration, according to a calculation by a leading Washington budget maven, Eugene Steuerle, co-founder of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center.
    [​IMG]
    Donald Trump Built a National Debt So Big (Even Before the Pandemic) That It’ll Weigh Down the Economy for Years
    The “King of Debt” promised to reduce the national debt — then his tax cuts made it surge. Add in the pandemic, and he oversaw the third-biggest deficit increase of any president.
    [​IMG] www.propublica.org

• Like Like x 1
  6. magnetofsnatch

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Maybe Joe can divert some of his family wealth accumulated over the past decade into lowering the debt? Likely would make a significant dent.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Fixed it for you
    Maybe Joe Donald Trump can divert some of his family wealth accumulated over the past decades into lowering the debt? The proceeds from the sale of his properties of Mar-a-Lago, Bedminster, Trump Tower and Scotland would be a good start. Likely would make a significant dent.

Keep in mind that Joe Biden's net worth is estimated at $9 million compared with Trump's estimated at $2.5 billion.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. magnetofsnatch

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    You believe a net worthy of 9MM? BahahahahahahahA

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

Actually, yeah. Pretty much. Biden has disclosed his assets for years. You think the guy has some hidden seaside estate ala Putin or 9 figures cash and he just neglects to report it? Link?

Everyone is aware of Hunter’s dealings and possible criminality. I’m guessing you are buying into MTG and some of the nonsense trying to put Hunters net worth of $230 million? Like Biden controls some huge hidden fund in Hunters name? I can buy Hunter has grifted a few million off his name for sure, given what we know I doubt that valuation very much. I suspect these characters making accusations will be light on receipts (as always) and you are being given the Obama Birth Certificate treatment again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If you believe it is larger please provide a link from a credible source. Thanks.
    By the way here's an explanation of the $9 million estimate:
    President Joe Biden's Net Worth: How Much Is He Worth in 2023? | GOBankingRates

• Like Like x 1
  11. magnetofsnatch

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    The Trump family is dirty. The Biden family is dirty. 99% of Congress is dirty. There are certainly levels to dirty but no one who achieves position and power are angels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. magnetofsnatch

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Diane Feinstein for instance has a net worth over 100MM. Seems logical even if she is 400 years old. She’s front run numerous trades over the years.

13. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I'm not so sure about these figures.....I believe big pharma lobbyist kicked back more $$$ to Democrats than to "MAGA Republicans". I didn't bother to check out the other claims when the first one I checked on turned out to be false.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    It’s not false and you did zero research to reach your conclusion. Biden’s Budget cuts Federal spending by $160 billion by increasing the number of drugs Medicare can select for negotiation and bringing more drugs into the negotiation process sooner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    If the base case is “everyone is dirty”, then why the obsession over Hunter Biden? Very strange.

Feinstein was already rich before Congress, and she’s a dinosaur.

I would assume most Senators would be pretty rich, and most Presidential candidates probably have personal resources (or at least a big enough profile to make millions selling their biography). President Obama for example raked in like $100 million from Netflix and media rights after leaving office. So this is always going to be a dumb argument. Literally every national profile politician can easily become a millionaire in totally legit ways. Some mega millionaires.

Now the house is different. Lots of reports of poor/struggling House Members. But I’d bet most of those “poor” are in 1st or 2nd term or are more obscure. I’d certainly question any that started out poor, but became worth millions relatively quickly. Not unless it was explained by a rising national profile and a high selling book. If it’s someone that became “under the radar” rich it would probably be something else (see George Santos!).

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Her second husband was neurosurgeon and after he passed away she married her third husband an investment banker to whom she was married for over 40 years until he passed away in 2022. A successful investment banker with a net worth of $100 million is not exactly an anomaly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Any of the lemmings daring to question dear leader calling for a default last night? Crickets.

• Like Like x 1
  20. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Dems moved from disengagement “clean raise” to a back-up against the wall negotiation. Republicans can’t lose and will chalk up a “win”.

Regular American are going to get squeezed and the stock market will be fine. K- Street and Wall-Street win again.

What a bunch of garbage. Yellen meeting with the banks to discuss. House of Cards.