Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Debt ceiling drama already here (deal allegedly reached)

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jan 13, 2023.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree it needs to be addressed, but maybe it takes the threat of default to get some bipartisan agreement?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think we should solve arguably these most controversial issue in the US, one that will impact almost every American’s ability to live out their last 20 years or more, over a few days or weeks because a few folks are threatening to default on our debts if we don’t. It’s something that needs to be vetted across a dozen or more constituencies in public and given the time and actual effort it deserves.
    And if we aren’t capable of that, then we deserve what we get.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    why were these issues not addressed when republicans controlled congress and te White House? Why do they only threaten default when democrats are president?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    You can say the same thing about the democrats and they had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, which the republicans didn't have.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I don’t recall democrats threatening to default.

I’m asking why didn’t republicans threaten default when they had majorities?

Also on many fiscal issues you don’t need a filibuster proof majority via reconciliation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I just saw Coach Calipari talking about his team having a players only meeting after they lost to South Carolina. His comment was that the loss created a "crisis" and you don't get change without a crisis.

8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Pretty sure this is a TH first for me, but I am going to mock the source. Calipari????? LOLOLOLOL

On a more serious note. Catastrophe theory predicts (& evidence certain bears this out) that "change" - esp of the political flavor - sucks when a crisis is its catalyst. Ummm. crash of 2000, 9/11, crash of 2009.....Japanese internment camps & so on. Oh, & I bet Q & Duggar's Dad can give you an earful.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    You don't negotiate with terrorists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    To take your analogy to its logical end - it would be like having your team lose 15 games in a row, a crisis, to create a sense of urgency. But the created crisis is far worse than he problem you are trying to fix.

That assumes those creating the crisis actually are genuine in their desire to fix the problem. I have no reason to think these people want to solve problems. They just want to create a crisis to get attention.

11. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, Kentucky had their crisis meeting and won their next game, so maybe there is hope after all.

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Would be very cool if this country kills the golden goose because of a basketball coach's cliche dumb-guy corporate wisdom. In reality, this country is just an endless serious of crises which are never resolved or result in any meaningful change. We throw up our hands and say "what can you do" when double digit people get gunned down on a fairly regular basis.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Of all the crazy life vs politics analogies I’ve seen on here, this is among the worst.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Dan Pheiffer with some recent history, and why you can’t negotiate with the GOP, because they don’t have a coherent, or cohesive caucus, So they cannot deliver on commitments reached through negotiations

Second, with whom would Biden negotiate and over what?. Kevin McCarthy may be Speaker, but his power is so diminished that right now he only has marginally more power and influence than George Santos. There is no evidence or reason to believe McCarthy could deliver on any deal he negotiated. In fact, given the new motion to vacate rules, he is more likely to lose his job than ratify a deal that Biden signs off on. That presumes that McCarthy would operate in good faith and there is not a lot of evidence to suggest that he would. The Republicans have no coherent list of demands. Many of them want to cut Social Security and Medicare, but others say it’s off the table. Some want to cut the military, others want to increase military spending. Kevin McCarthy wants to eliminate funding for something called “woke-ism.” Jim Jordan wants to defund the salmon. The point is, Republicans want a fight for the sake of a fight. They clearly don’t know or care about what incited the fight.

Why Biden is Right Not to Negotiate

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    A rudderless ship just goes in circles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I am and I also think we should stop deficit spending but it’s wrong to decouple the two.

17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, that's a quick burn... but the kind of over spending we're engaged in right now will give the U.S. the same result, eventually.... it's a slow burn.

Maybe we stop the madness and reduce our over-spending a bit? Seems like the levelheaded thing to do.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While I don't think they're really that farsighted it would not be beyond the realm of possibility that the House Republicans most of whom represent very safe districts thanks to gerrymandering would be willing to trigger a very serious recession through a debt default and then blame it on Biden. That being said the reverse is also possible with enough Republicans who represent swing districts ending up telling Kevin McCarthy and their Republican colleagues to shove it by taking a much more rational position and voting with the Democrats to increase the debt ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Exactly, drive the economy over a cliff to own da libs, then blame the libs and hope the voters are stupid enough to buy it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1