Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Debbie Mucarsel-Powell taking on Fraudster Rick Scott 2024

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Aug 22, 2023.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Debbie Mucarsel-Powell looks like she is taking the A1 position to unseat Rick Scott. This will 100% be a pro-choice and anti-fascist campaign for her against an unpopular figure in Florida. Probably a great pick by the Dems to put a Latino woman candidate to deliver that message. I think she has a pretty good shot even though she is a neophyte who did lose her last election. She lost by a much smaller margin than Biden in her district and it was by only about 12k votes. Scott polls poorly. Should be close.

Former Congresswoman Launches Bid To Oust GOP Sen. Rick Scott

Her entry into the race marks an attempt by Democrats to make Florida a major Senate battleground in 2024, a year when keeping their 51-seat majority in Congress’ upper chamber intact depends on defending a number of seats in deep-red political territory, and their offensive opportunities are limited to Florida and Texas, another large and expensive state where Democrats have struggled.

A poll commissioned by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and released last week showed Scott’s approval rating was underwater in Florida and argued that Mucarsel-Powell has a path to victory. Florida Democrats, however, are on a lengthy statewide losing streak as Latino voters in South Florida ― Mucarsel-Powell’s home turf ― desert the party for the GOP.

Mucarsel-Powell, a fundraising executive and native of Ecuador, was the first South American immigrant elected to Congress when she won a House seat in 2018. In her launch video, she emphasized Scott’s opposition to abortion rights and gun control and reiterated many attacks the White House and other top Democrats launched against a policy agenda Scott rolled out when he chaired Senate Republicans’ campaign arm during the 2022 midterm elections.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    At least she's not like the thief who stole a couple hundred million from Medicare

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You have to think being the only guy in Washington who won't stop talking about "sunsetting" social security isn't smart when you are from a state known for retirees ... can't imagine why Florida keeps voting for this guy.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'll believe a Democrat can win a high stakes election in Florida once it happens, and not a moment sooner.

That said, I have a very short list of politicians I like less than Rick Scott. The dude is an absolute scoundrel. Made his millions defrauding the American people through Medicare billing scams, then turned around and used the money and connections that money helped buy to launch himself into the ultimate grift: government office.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Good luck to her. She’s going to need it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Rick Scott is near the bottom of the barrel in terms of candidate quality, but since he will have an R next to his name he has to be the favorite

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Good luck to her but I've given up on Florida. Loved growing up there but it's become a mean, dumb, ugly place. Last time I moved away was right after Lawton passed away. The political leadership has been in a downward spiral for two decades. I'll go long enough to see a Gator game, visit family or attend a funeral but that's it.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Wish her enough luck to beat the (P)rick.
    I never got over his deposition in the fraud investigation of his company. He invoked the 5th amendment 75 times, squirmed throughout and couldn't look his questioner in the eye. Total sleaze weasel.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    His last election was razor thin and he didn’t have abortion and his kill SS message out there. This is a Democratic opportunity.

IMG_0221.jpeg

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Oh cool. A pro abortion fascist is running for office. That’s unexpected.

[​IMG]

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The question will be how much the Florida electorate has changed and whether the 2022 election represented a significant red shift or just a smaller red shift and rather unique circumstances about that election cycle and Democratic turnout

12. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Scott will win by at least 5 points.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Every election he has had in FL has been razor thin, but he has won em all. Don't think he ever got 50% in his gov races but still won.

And they say crime doesn't pay. :rolleyes:

14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Oh ok. Im convinced. Fubar1 says so.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Which is why I think the republicans attempt to subjugate women to breeders and Orwellian state actions will make the difference.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    You’re referring to the reimbursement issues from his days with HCA.
    Didn’t every hospital abuse the gray areas of reimbursement back then?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  18. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Never heard of her before now, but she has my cell number and has been spamming me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    HCA was fined for multiple felonies and almost $2B, that's with a B which was a record at the time. That's well beyond any gray area. Scott who was the CEO refused to answer any questions, taking the 5th.

Another white collar criminal that got away with it, but amazingly it seems his supporters don't care.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    If you watch the deposition it’s the most transparently deceitful performance ever. His pupils roll so far up in the corners of his eyes I thought they’d jump out.