Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dawgs fire their Stricklin

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by iowagator, May 26, 2023.

1. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    only 3 regionals in 10 years..but I think top 8 in 2 of those lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Looks like Dan McDonnell can have a choice.

4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Wonder if any other sec coaches are in trouble.
    Mizzou coach? They will again miss post season, but it's Mizzou, so...

Bama needs a HC.

Lemonis at MSU has a NC on the resume, which is huge, but after 4 years he has a losing sec record and has now missed the postseason 2 years in a row. Fired his pitching coach so that probably saves him, but Baseball is important in Starkville, so..... paying a coach over a million per year while sitting home in June can't sit well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I hear they are gonna make a run at Sully

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would not doubt that.

7. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    UCF let Lovelady go as well.

8. Has some great leverage vs Louisville AD and the Cards would be stupid to not meet his demands. If Sully was struck by lightning tomorrow he'd be my first call. I assume part of his complaints revolve around Kentucky with that new-ish facility, from watching supers on tv Louisville is kinda right by a neighborhood. The quotes are pretty telling, rumors are Bama is interested and with no coach for awhile I assume a little further down the road negotiating-wise. It'd be a better situation at UGA in my opinion, more instate talent and idk about NIL deals in the East compared to what LSU and Arkansas have going on. Can't imagine how well he'd recruit in state with more talent and equal facilities as his rival and I like the personality his teams take on, reflection of the coach.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Dan’s a good man and a helluva coach. He was really fast in his playing days—2nd baseman for the Citadel.

He was Ole Miss’s lead recruiter when Alan went there out of HS.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I wish is was our Stricklin that was getting the ax.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I dont think Ga or Bama are really committed to baseball, but if I was coaching I'd prefer Ga, far more talent in the state. If you want a school that's really committed to baseball and probably needs a coach it would be Miss St.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Patience my friend, that will becoming in due time. Lack of contention in major TV sports will be his undoing.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Reason why Georgia is better situation is because of state scholarship system in Alabama puts them at a disadvantage.

14. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    If it was football that was at a scholarship disadvantage, I have no doubt that the good old boys would change the rules to get state scholarships in the state. Again, they just dont care enough about baseball. Ga is the much better gig.

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Talking about the vacant HC jobs and Dan McDonnell honestly I always thought that Mike Bianco would go back to LSU and McDonnell would go back to Ole Miss—but that didn’t happen.

Dan talks about school commitment to baseball being his #1 goal. In my mind that would put the MSU job at the top of his SEC list at this point in his career. However, that job is not open yet.

We’ll just have to wait and see like everyone else.

16. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    And Atlanta area is usually a hotbed for HS talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Haven't been here in awhile, UGA's got their guy but McDonnell is at least still interested in Bama or using it for facility upgrades. Know it's been a few years since they've made it to Omaha (lost in supers to A&M last year) but he singlehandedly transformed Louisville into a legit program and his players always gave off that confident/cocky aura seemingly similar to Sully's guys (teams generally take on the personality of their head coach). He would be a helluva get for Bama and if Sully got run over by a truck tomorrow or whatever I'd take McDonnell (in terms of realistic possibility of him leaving plus accomplishments).

• Agree Agree x 1