Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid-19: Treatments, Cures, and Vaccines

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Apr 10, 2020.

1. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Good questions in my opinion.

T-cell response has been documented in other papers out to 1 year following the primary series (2 shots). There does not seem to be much drop off in germinal centers at the one year mark.

I am not an expert, but I do not believe it is practical for people to keep getting shots every 4-6 months. I am what I consider fully vaccinated with the 2-part initial series and then a 3rd shot ~ 8 months after the 2nd. From everything that I have read and posted, there is no lasting benefit to additional boosters, so there needs to be a medical reason to get them. For example, my wife and I are travelling to Florida (Covid hell) for Chanukah/Christmas to visit her mother and my mother both 80-90. We are probably going to get the second booster in early December to reduce the liklihood that we become infected, and reduce the probability of transmission (yes, that data exists despite what the mentla midgets on the right keep saying) if we do become infected.

As of today XBB and BQ.1 are becoming the dominant strains of the virus in circulation. These also possess the highest number of neutralizing anti-body evading alterations to the amino-acid sequences in the receptor binding domain (fancy term for where virus attaches to host cell). In short, we cannot keep up the race of trying to get neutralizing effects against the rapidly changing virus. The best we will likely be able to do is bolster our longer term defenses against severe disease/negative outcomes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    i generally agree with this. In my case I’ve had 5 shots total, generally 6 months apart each time. But the last couple I’ve gotten sooner rather than later, partly because I visit my 90 year old parents in Fl. My kids have had one booster and 2 boosters respectively at least a year since the last, and again part of the motivation is visits to their grandparents. My wife had her 2nd booster recently a year after the first. I kind of have to drag her in.

In my case, late 50’s, reasonably healthy but not in my 20s level of fitness, I opt for the boosters sooner than later, but I agree getting them every 6 months in perpetuity is not sustainable.

As to the first booster in 2021 many people feel that it really took the 3 shots over an expanded time frame to be “fully vaccinated” against the variants.

3. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I look at it like the Polio Vaccine approach. Every time I travel to China, I get a Polio booster. Not because I can become sick, but even those vaccinated can become infected, carry and shed polio to others. The polio boosters, much like the COVID boosters ramp your neutralizing anti-bodies for a short period of time and reduces the liklihood of you becoming a carrier/spreader of the disease.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I wasn’t aware you could get polio boosters.

5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    To each their own. I feel bad for the doctors on the front lines. They have nowhere to turn for good factual information right now.

That said. Covid is over for the vast majority of people in this country. There is a reason parents are not giving their kids these shots. There is a reason most are not taking the bivalent booster. Shoot for paxlovid to have so many prominent reinfections yet they say it is not that common is just another red flag to the whole saga.

These people lied to you. They had you masking and standing 6 feet apart. Their experiment worked to a point. But the damage done to our kids has finally set in. And even a majority of those who fell for the propaganda wanting to believe people would not do such a thing…see reality. Some are still blinded. But it is a minority now!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Ist dropping in to remind that, as long as fear of cough and kill grandma persists, otherwise known as germ theory, public health/media/governments will easily be able to justify restrictions on movement and on human interaction and all that that entails.

7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's keep this thread for news on new treatments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Pfizer/BioNTech say updated Covid-19 booster generates 'substantially higher' protection against Omicron subvariants than original vaccine

Pfizer/BioNTech say updated Covid-19 booster generates 'substantially higher' protection against Omicron subvariants than original vaccine

(CNN)Pfizer and BioNTech said Friday that the immune responses against Omicron BA.4/BA.5 subvariants were "substantially higher" in people who got its new bivalent booster compared with people who received the companies' original Covid-19 vaccine.

The bivalent booster that targets the original coronavirus strain and the Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants became available in the US in early September. Pfizer and BioNTech said in a news release that the bivalent booster generated about four times higher levels of neutralizing antibody against the Omicron BA.4/BA.5 variants in people older than 55, compared with the original vaccine. The data has not been peer-reviewed or published.

When someone gets any vaccine, it can take a few weeks to build up immunity and generate its full protection. The data showed that a month after study participants got the new booster, Omicron BA.4/BA.5 neutralizing antibodies increased 13.2 fold from pre-booster levels for the adults 55 and older, compared with a 2.9 fold increase in older adults who got the original vaccine. For adults ages 18 to 55, neutralizing antibodies were 9.5 fold higher than pre-booster levels

9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Glad someone finally documented this. We have long seen that those who were first infected, and then fully vaccinated had much greater protection than others. No one had ever documented it the other way though, vaccination followed by infection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Makes sense. Immune system recognizes the spike and the protein. Now I am glad I got the bivalent booster after infection.

12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    There is little doubt now that we need to stop pushing and giving these shots to people. At the beginning the high risk groups. It was probably worth the risk of making them available so quickly. But we now know based on the the data that most do not need a shot that was brought to market way too quickly for their risk profile. And we also know that there are real concerns about the safety of the shot. This disease and the shots themselves cause inflammation. The shots do not stop you from getting the disease. Thankfully we are past a lot of the propaganda as most have realized these shots are unnecessary now. But the damage done and the need for accountability should not be let go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    On the subject of polio: it used to be a wastebasket term for temporary to permanent paralysis. And there was a pronounced uptake in cases when DDT was introduced.

14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Since day 1 (well very early on for the literalists) we have known this. And our idiot public health officials still want to jab a 6 month old. Crazy how stupid so many of our public health leaders have been…

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Except that vaccines are killing across the board. In fact, virtually all highly-vaccinated countries are experiencing staggering levels of excess deaths.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Brought to you by "Rando films"

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1