Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid-19: Treatments, Cures, and Vaccines

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Apr 10, 2020.

1. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Right on cue, or maybe a few days later than some people predicted.
    It would be nice if 2020 could give us another piece of good news!

2. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hopeful, with a little bit of cold water...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. AlfaGator

AlfaGator VIP Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The timing of this vaccine news is going to light up the conspiracy theorists.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Given that no messenger RNA vaccine has ever been approved for use before, I would still prefer 3-4 years of study before we get all giddy over it, but....that is not what happens during pandemics. I guess when they force all of the first responders and health care workers to get the first doses, we will have a much bigger built in safety trial for the rest of of us to judge "safety" on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    You are correct. I don't care. Let them howl into the night.

Pfizer has been telling people for weeks that the only way early November was do-able was if they reached the revised up minimum reviewable cases. Luckily for them, Americans were stupid enough to go out and expedite their research in droves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    All the scientists running the study were democrats. It was RiGgEd!!!!

In all seriousness though, I believe they may have this data available a week ago if they really wanted to. But why would they want to rush it out to benefit Trump?

In reality, Trump has nothing to do with this vaccine. Yet I'm sure some (most) on the right would falsely attribute this excellent news to him. So under the same theory that the DOJ has regs to not openly announce political investigations in the last 30 days preceding an election, a private company can surely make that same determination so as to not influence the election (if they have such a massively influential announcement).

I can see how conservatives would see that as "unfair" though. I guess this lesson to be learned: don't piss off scientists that you need on your side?

8. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm just glad Kamala's confidence in the safety and efficacy of a vaccine has been likely restored.

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I have high degree of confidence in an announcement by Pfizer. We'll need to see more data and commentary, but this sounds super promising.

I have zero degree of confidence in anything announced by Donald Trump. It struck me that Trump wanted to be the one to actually announce the vaccine. Which is why from the start the guy kept trying to pimp snake oil miracle cures. Trump announcing or having anything to do with Pfizer's findings would undermine the credibility of the announcement, which may indeed have played a factor in their waiting until after the election.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    There is no doubt the timing on this announcement was purposeful. Anybody who is denying that large forces were aligned against Trump winning re-election deserve to be lied to. Not to mention, he had already returned the economy to better unemployment rates than Obama had at the end of his 1st term. Naturally, Biden will get all the credit and the media will gush about how great Biden is doing. Etc etc.

People need to understand this is truly a ONCE IN A LIFETIME medical breakthrough. That these pharma companies are able to get 90% results from a Covid vaccine less than a year after we even knew there was a Coronavirus.. it's amazing. Operation Warp Speed. Trump deserves a lot of credit. He temporarily shut things down to give doctors time and kept the country together at a time when everybody on the left was doing their best to destroy it. The guy may be an egomaniac, but he was a great president. He kept our economy vibrant, kept us out of foreign conflicts and took China to task. He was a great president and I hope he gets to pick his successor in 2024.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You are aware that the vaccine was developed by Pfizer's German subsidiary which received no funding under Operation Warp Speed? If the vaccine is approved, Pfizer will receive funds for production and distribution, but it has received no funding related to development.

Pfizer’s Early Data Shows Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Point of order, this wasn't developed as a part of Operation Warp Speed. It was mostly developed in Europe. Trump doesn't deserve any credit for this.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Last I checked, Pfizer is an American company.

14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pfizer is a multinational with headquarters in America.

Which doesn't change that they didn't participate on Operation Warp Speed and most of the work was done in Europe.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It's a global corporation with divisions all over the world.

Sounds like it was the Germans who got this one done. Give credit where it is due, and that's really to the specific scientists (at BioNTech).

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Mr. Trump didn't develop the vaccine, but he provided the leadership. Before Trump, nobody would have thought this was possible. Mr. Trump laid the ground work.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Good news. Look forward to seeing the hopeful lack of side effects (in other people).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well when you say Trump has nothing to do with the vaccine, technically that's correct. I saw an interview with Gottlieb, the former FDA commissioner under Obama. Now that the election is over, Gottlieb had a completely different tone on how the government is working with the private sector.
    HHS under Azar will be distributing the vaccines to the states. The states will then distribute locally, (first to seniors with co-morbidities. Apparently HHS has constructed a new database to track and allocate where all the vulnerable people are, and vaccines will be initially distributed proportionately to the states by number of at risk per state.

19. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Can we take the political BS to a different thread please?