Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Corruption in the SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Sohogator, Apr 6, 2023.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

And what did I say about the facts?

2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It would be humiliating.

3. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes you did, good for you but my question was why was it important to note that they’re left leaning..

4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting thread by Mark Joseph Stern about how other justices disclosed any gifts they received even though so relatively limited value, while Thomas was not disclosing millions of dollars in travel gifts

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    What law was broken?
    Interesting how all the liberals have now accused and convicted Thomas about a law that no one in this six page thread has described.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Would you be saying the same thing if liberal judges had been jetting around the world with Soros? The HOR would have impeachment articles passed already and you know it

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    5 U.S. Code § 13104 - Contents of reports
    (a)Annual and Termination Reports.—Each report filed pursuant to section 13103(d) and (e) of this title shall include a full and complete statement with respect to the following:
    (2)Gifts and reimbursements.—
    (A)Gifts.—
    The identity of the source, a brief description, and the value of all gifts aggregating more than the minimal value as established by section 7342(a)(5) of this title, or $250, whichever is greater, received from any source other than a relative of the reporting individual during the preceding calendar year, except that any food, lodging, or entertainment received as personal hospitality of an individual need not be reported, and any gift with a fair market value of $100 or less, as adjusted at the same time and by the same percentage as the minimal value is adjusted, need not be aggregated for purposes of this subparagraph.
    -----------------------------------
    By failing to disclose the flights on the private jet, Thomas broke the law. And yes, judges on the Supreme Court are required to disclose:
    5 U.S. Code § 13103 - Persons required to file
    (f)Individuals Required To File.—The officers and employees referred to in subsections (a), (d), and (e) are—
    (11) a judicial officer as defined in section 13101 of this title;
    5 U.S. Code § 13101 - Definitions
    (10)Judicial officer.—
    The term “judicial officer” means the Chief Justice of the United States, the Associate Justices of the Supreme Court, and the judges of the United States courts of appeals, United States district courts, including the district courts in Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands, Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Court of International Trade, Tax Court, Court of Federal Claims, Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, and any court created by Act of Congress, the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    But that's not even the most important issue here. The most important issue is that a Republican megadonor was lavishing a judge with hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts (gifts that judge stopped reporting after they caused critical media coverage in the past) to get him to socialize regularly with that megadonor. If you claim that doesn't create an appearance of impropriety (corruption), you're not being honest.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Harlan Crow’s brother, Trammel (also a billionaire, friend/donor of W and Cruz), is being sued/accused of sex trafficking. Adult parties? Sex trafficking?

Trammell Crow Jr. Named in Human Trafficking Case

The women claim that in exchange for financial support, Richard Hubbard would “supply drugs for Crow’s parties, would force [Julia] Hubbard to have sex with Crow’s then-girlfriend in front of Crow…, would force Goedinghaus to have sex in front of Crow…, and would traffic other victims” to Crow’s “Forced Sex Parties.”

Julia Hubbard also claims that she appealed to Crow directly to stop this abuse, but he “took no action” and instead served as the conduit to bring other “co-investors and clients” into the scheme.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Harlan’s brother is ALSO a billionaire??? Man, that’s a hard working family.

10. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    He falsified financial disclosure records.

11. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I'm not going to do this; it would not go well.

She and I maintain a silence on certain things. I listen when she shares things that give me glimpses into what she is currently reading, absorbing, and believing. In doing this I learn from her what is going on in those circles. She not terribly bright nor is she inquisitive. Generally she is not self aware. I drop tidbits now and then that stir her curiosity and prod her into asking questions, but she rejects out of hand most anything and everything that counters what she is convinced is true.

She is trained and licensed as a certified nursing assistant and works for a number of older people in various capacities in the Grand Valley. She works for us 4 half days a week, cleaning, doing laundry, and giving me personal assistance as needed. She is a significant part of our lives at this point and despite our differences, I respect her loyalty and her devotion to Trucker and me and our son and d-i-l's family. She acts as a rental agent for them, supervising some apartments they own and rent to CMU students. Despite our differences she is a friend and I wish to maintain our relationship as it stands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Some trump supporters have screamed about Soros’s money going to an organization that contributed to an organization that supported Alvin Bragg for DA. Bragg never met Soros. Yet the same outage is missing from the relationship between Crow and Thomas despite the direct gifts from Crow to Thomas and his wife valued in the millions.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. JustaGator

JustaGator Freshman

Sep 6, 2015
    I would agree then. You are correct though - not all human beings are self-aware. Jung said:

"“Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

It really is tragic for the rest of us that some people never look inside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pretty safe bet that if a Dem appointed justice had done the same thing, he and others in maga world would be losing their shit. Carry on.

15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Because that's what we all do here right?
    I mean every right leaning source is dismissed here.

16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    While I understand the sentiment-honestly, what humility will he feel? His wife was a key planner in an attempted overthrow of Congress while in session to certify an election and together they have collected tens of millions of dollars in payola in kind over the past 3-4 decades and he’s perfectly ok with it. Do you think he really gives a shit about a certificate on his wall that he hasn’t used to practice in half a century?

EDIT-and that there’s not bipartisan calls for reform at SCOTUS after these revelations is truly disgusting. I work in an industry where many of my clients/customers don’t even allow me to buy them a $15 lunch to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, and the Thomas’ are shamelessly traveling the world like Harlan’s kept couple. It’s insane w/o the partisan lens and we should all be outraged.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I give up. What goes on in a Wal-Mart parking lot? I'm not a Wal-Mart customer, but I may drive over there this afternoon, if there's a lot of reasons to do so.

18. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Thank you. Your direct reply to my question is appreciated. The OP Headline says “illegally accepted” and, if so, he should be subject to the law

From the WSJ editorial board:
    “But it seems clear that the Court’s rules at the time all of this happened did not require that gifts of personal hospitality be disclosed. This includes the private plane trips. ProPublica fails to make clear to readers that the U.S. Judicial Conference recently changed its rules to require more disclosure. The new rules took effect last month.”

So, there seems to be a difference of opinion of whether the law required disclosure at the time the events occurred. Let’s find out.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  19. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes. I have one. I know the time, the work and the expense it took to get. The law has been my living and a very substantial part of life for more years than I care to acknowledge. If I did something to cause it's revocation, I would be humiliated, devastated and much more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    What an interesting argument, and thank you for that. However, how do you know that the crossing into Egypt was “illegal”? I’ve never seen that point, and I’m curious to know the immigration laws from over 2,000 years ago. Wasn’t Egypt a Roman-controlled territory at that time as well?