Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Corruption in the SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Sohogator, Apr 6, 2023.

1. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I read this new code of ethics and the whole time I was reading it I kept wondering who will enforce this. There is a code but no system of accountability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are not the only one. I read it halfway through and then stopped due to work obligations. But everyone else is been raising the lack of an enforcement mechanism on twitter. I thought they would be a weak wholly internal enforcement mechanism at the end that had not gotten to yet. I did not think there would be no enforcement mechanism. I suspect that in terms of public relations, this may only make things worse. But what do I know?

3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's not even a code. It's a list of suggestions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The liberals are so used to running all the courts that they constantly attack the highest count in the land in an attempt to sway their opinions. We know how the Dems work... simple psychology applied here.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    C’mon man. The SCOTUS has the final say - there is no back stop. A code of ethics that’s enforceable would apply to each justice equally. Can’t think of a single advantage to we the people allowing them the billionaires to unduly influence deliberations.

• Winner Winner x 4
  6. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Thomas should be required to recuse himself from agent smith's pleading. No way he can ignore his wife's activities and claim to be impartial. If the rest of the bench ever wants any credence of credibility they need to force that issue

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    The kind of thing that agents of a foreign adversary look for and exploit. Appears to be what Harlan Crow did and beat them to it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't hold your breath. He's there until he croaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    If the GOP takes back the White House and Senate next year (both of which are very possible), I think Thomas would retire so Republicans could replace him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    lmao. this should be interesting. the facts seem pretty clear that CT broke the law and any citizen has a right to go after him for it and claim a share of the proceeds

Exclusive: Republican Hits Clarence Thomas With Lawsuit Over His Taxes (msn.com)

The complaint, which was shared with Newsweek, alleges that in violation of VFATA, "Clarence Thomas knowingly presented or caused to be presented a false and fraudulent claim (i.e., his 2005 Virginia State Income Tax Return) to the Virginia Department of Taxation on or about April 15, 2016, that failed to report income from discharge of indebtedness."

Thomas has faced immense scrutiny and calls for his resignation after it was reported that he failed to disclose several transactions, including a $267,230 loan that he received from wealthy friend Anthony Welters. Last year, an investigation from the Senate Finance Committee revealed that Thomas never repaid a "substantial portion" of that loan, raising concerns about whether the justice properly reported it in his tax filings.
    ......................................................................................
    "Under Section 108 of the Internal Revenue Code, he would have had a legal obligation to report [the loan] as taxable income and the tax alone would have been, probably $40,000 or $50,000. That's a third of his annual salary," Castro said on Friday. "And that's when I was like, 'There's no way he reported that because that'd be financially disastrous for him.'"

Castro is suing Thomas under VFATA, which allows private citizens anywhere in the country to bring a claim against a Virginia resident for making a knowingly false or fraudulent claim to the commonwealth for money or property, essentially empowering regular Americans to take on the role of a de factor agent of the Virginia attorney general. "It basically allows you to bring a tax enforcement action against a taxpayer," Castro said of the law.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    interesting but not holding my breath.

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Has Crow been involved in any of Thomas's cases?

14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Sounds like he's damned if he reports it, damned if he doesn't.

The only apparent acceptable answer is to not have wealthy friends who are politically active.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I think the targeting of Thomas's reputation on this thread by some of our friends from the left while ignoring Nancy Pelosi accumulating her mysterious fortune is telling regarding the prejudices of a lot of folks on this forum.

Seems like Thomas was guilty of AWB ("adjudicating while Black").

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yep.

Defend the institutions you control with everything you have. Do whatever it takes, even if it means lying or burying your opposition.

Hijack the institutions you don't through selective enforcement of rules and media scrutiny.

Any Republican questioning Thurgood Marshall's impartiality, despite having open ties to the NAACP and being openly politically active himself prior to his appointment to the Supreme Court, would be called racist by the very same people screaming bloody murder about this.

We're just supposed to pretend none of that exists because Thurgood Marshall was so "obviously" on the right side of all of these issues. The way they see it, he wasn't fighting for political wins, he was fighting for righteousness and justice. When in reality, sometimes he was fighting for one, and sometimes he was fighting for the other, and sometimes they were one and the same.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    There is another option. Don't let your wealthy friends give you lavish gifts and trips. And no, he's really not "damned." As a public official, the people are allowed to criticize hm. He doesn't get to refuse to follow the law because he doesn't like being scrutinized.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    He's not immune from public scrutiny. But let's not pretend this is a one side of the aisle thing.

How did Pelosi accumulate her wealth? She was well-compensated was she not?

The real reason behind the outrage is conservatives have a clear majority on the Supreme Court and Thomas is a conservative justice. The fact that he happens to be Black is also inconvenient for Democrats I'm sure.

19. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Let me solve the mystery for you. NP is married to Paul who founded and owns a venture capital firm. He has been successful That accounts for the lion’s share of the wealth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There is nothing mysterious of how Nancy (and Paul) Pelosi became wealthy. Already stated, Paul Pelosi was a successful real investor and venture capitalist before Nancy Pelosi ever ran for office. Also already stated, when it was revealed that Abe Fortas was receiving a small stipend from a former client he was forced to resign from the Supreme Court under threat of impeachment, the in-kind benefits that Thomas has received from Crow are/were worth considerably more than the amount the stipend that Fortas was receiving and even if Crow was not an actual party in the SCOTUS cases that Thomas was or would be deciding he had a strong interest in their outcome.

• Funny Funny x 1