Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus - International stories and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jan 20, 2020.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    but they are only counting deaths with confirmed covid test as covid death

2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    correct, for some reason they were keeping track but only counting hospital deaths in their daily numbers

3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ro rate in Germany climbs above 1.0 again. Second shutdown may be coming within a week of their opening. I feat this is where we will be in 3 weeks if it takes us that long to get there.

NoCookies | The Australian

Germany may be compelled to bring back elements of its lockdown amid signs that coronavirus cases could be on the point of starting to multiply again.

The country’s virus reproduction rate, which measures how many people the average person with COVID-19 infects, has rebounded to a value of 1.0, the dividing line between growth and decline, according to epidemiologists.

Angela Merkel has warned that hospitals will be overwhelmed by the end of June if the number rises only a little. She also said a corresponding increase in infections would make a second “shutdown” unavoidable. The figure is likely to exacerbate divisions over Germany’s strategy as ministers prepare to discuss the next steps at a video conference tomorrow (Thursday).

Over the past week the 16 states have begun to reopen shops, schools, zoos and even some churches. But there are still strong disagreements over how fast to lift the curbs on society and business.

4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    which means that their death rate is likely even higher unless they have testing available to test dead people that were never diagnosed

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Must be getting more high tech. Just a few weeks ago I heard they were putting old school seals on doors of home quarantine folks.

In South Korea you're forced to install an app to track your whereabouts, I think China is doing something similar and other countries are starting to pick it up too.

Like it or not, there's no perfect solution. Something needs to be sacrificed between liberty, life, and happiness (economics). You choose the poison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    will certain groups consider the app to be the "mark" required to do business which guarantees that the end of times is near?

8. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Man, this is getting bad. 3 million dead?? CACC353F-C560-4437-B2B2-4CB90FE4F604.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I was a band director, I always told the kids why it was so important we dressed appropriately for concerts. If we walk onto the stage looking like we know what we are doing, when we make mistakes (and we will, that is part of being human), the audience will already have in their minds that we know what we are doing and will accept our mistakes as just those things that happen sometimes.

If we don't dress appropriately, and we walk onto the stage looking sloppy, when those same mistakes happen, the audience will think to themselves, I expected that from this group.

10. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    Interesting. I’m of the opinion that people are generally more forgiving of mistakes by student musicians, especially kids, where the level of expectation is not quite that of a professional orchestra, especially one performing on a regular basis with all of the systems and support staff one would expect to find in a highly compensated and highly trained “team” of professionals.

Are we now conditioned to expect intentionally misleading and inaccurate performances from the mainstream media?

11. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    Or perhaps one shouldn’t tune in to CNN and other networks expecting a classically trained pianist but rather just a middle school rapper?

12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They had the numbers next to him and obviously it was almost 3 million that have been confirmed to have the disease. You would have to try hard to be mislead by that.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    Why on earth would CNN use the # of cases as the # of deaths? Surely that are not that poorly run, absent of controls to avoid such a misrepresentation?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Somebody typed the wrong thing in the chiron. Again, the numbers are right next to his head. I don't understand how it caused you confusion. Believe it or not, you too have probably typed things imperfectly (like that post where you typed "that" when you probably meant "they" as the subject of your second sentence). I guess we could ask whether you know English or chalk it up to the fact that people make occasional mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A parable.

A man who was traveling came upon a farmer working in his field and asked him what the people in the next village were like. The farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The man responded "They were kind, friendly, generous, great people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

Another man who was traveling to the same village came up to the same farmer somewhat later and asked him what the people in the next village were like. Again the farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The second man responded, "They were rude, unfriendly, dishonest people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    No confusion here. I’m confused as to why you think there’s confusion.

I do type poorly, but I’m not CNN, thankfully.

17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Which graphic was obvious, the larger one taking up most of the width of the screen at the bottom of where Wolf was talking or the one to the side with "TOTAL CASES" in a smaller font?

I agree that such a mistake warrants forgiveness. But it is interesting to see where people are willing to be forgiving in light of such a mistake.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Every number is next to him and they have been for weeks. Again, it would be pretty hard to be mislead here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So then there was no possible confusion. Then what is the problem here? That somebody typed something poorly once?

20. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    This is such a silly argument.

• Agree Agree x 2