Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

I’m sure it’s not the first board rule you’ve broken this year

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  2. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Do it without injecting sport into it. It isn’t hard.

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You said the numbers weren't out. Now they are up? Seems like a lot of BS.

I pointed out the numbers in a study that you are yet to address. I am sorry that they don't square with what you apparently want for some reason.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    no sport. Just calling out someone. I find people talk crap until they have to put money behind their asinine beliefs Liz.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Got it. Proposing bets on threads is against the board rules and that’s the only way for you to make a point. Sad

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Pandemic’s effect on already rising suicide rates heightens worry - Roll Call

Here’s real data. No idea of what you posted is accurate or not. Like I said. Suicides will be significantly this year.

7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, rules are broken on here literally every day. So there’s that to hide behind I guess.

8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, the paper written by people from Brigham and Yale isn't "real data" apparently. And the only reason appears to be because it doesn't tell you what you want to believe. Again, there is likely regional variance, as I said earlier, but that is the first and only study that I have seen to answer the specific question in regards to the actual period of "lockdowns."

The rest is just bluster, which bores me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Well, it sure looks like we are turning a corner. But, the wrong wAY.

10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Just like the flu. A statement Trump knew was false when he gave the interview to Woodward and said that. All these many months, they repeat the same lie even after the tape was released.

What is pathetic is that their followers believe this, even after they heard Trump say he was going to downplay the virus.

But, there you have it. It can't be controlled by them. Despite the places where it was.

Because they are incompetent.

They cant even keep it out of their staffs, despite daily testing.

So, cultists, follow them and get sick. And, good luck to ya.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Just got back from Kroger. Masks are mandatory but maybe 10% weren’t wearing. I would have kicked their uneducated asses out, but I know why businesses don’t want to engage.
    One of the couples got behind us in checkout and I had to tell the husband to back off, I was so infuriated. I loudly asked my wife why people were too selfish to wear masks.
    This particular couple were sporting the Keep America Great hats and a few hundred pounds of comorbidity.
    Amazing how selfish/stupid some people are.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    You just lost someone to suicide and now you want to bet on how many more suicides there will be?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I know some on this forum love to hate on California, especially San Francisco. This is dedicated to them.

“Of the 20 most populous cities in the U.S., San Francisco has the lowest death rate per capita from COVID-19. If the entire country had followed the city’s approach, Wachter said, there would be 50,000 dead from the pandemic instead of more than 220,000.”

Mayor London Breed and Dr. Grant Colfax, San Francisco’s public health director, largely shaped the city’s response to the health crisis.

When the coronavirus hit Wuhan, China, she said, she viewed it as “way over there.” That changed when Colfax and the city’s health officer came to her City Hall office earlier this year and warned the virus could overwhelm the city’s hospitals, which might have to turn away the sick.

That warning “stopped me in my tracks,” Breed said. She knew that shutting down would hurt the economy and worsen economic disparities, but she said she felt as though there were no other choice. She said she asked herself what she would want her mayor to do. Saving lives was the answer.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/...rancisco-slow-coronavirus-reopening?_amp=true

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Did you read your own article? It cited by my count 3 counties that reported an uptick in suicide rate. Add the one person you know who committed suicide, I guess that's definitive proof that lockdowns cause a lot of suicides? Here's a quote right in the middle of your article specifically addressing the idea of a rising suicide rate during the pandemic:

In order to state that suicide risk outweighs the benefits of lockdowns, you need to prove 3 things:

1) Suicides are increasing during the lockdown. Please provide data rather than anecdotes. A person you know or a random county somewhere is an anecdote.

2) The increase in suicides is significant enough whether by sheer volume or the younger age of affected compared to outweigh the benefits of lockdowns.

3) The increase in suicides can reasonably be blamed on lockdowns. There are real psychiatric risks with this pandemic, but how much of it can be attributed to lockdowns and how much to the pandemic itself?

You may very well be right, but if you're trying to prove an argument with science, you need to go through the scientific process. Things are not always obvious, there are always many factors in play. As the article you cited points out, suicides actually decreased in Louisiana after Katrina. The only way to find out for sure is by conducting studies, look at the data, and try to correct for any confounders the best you can.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I also lost a relative to Alzheimer’s this past June and am willing to bet there will be a huge increase in Alzheimer’s deaths because of the lockdowns. I’m not celebrating it, just bringing to light the huge issue that lockdowns cause. Man, people can be so ignorant.

16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fall color this weekend.

2DB74976-1439-4CC0-B741-96DBA123B2A3.jpeg 97495576-5EF2-4AF4-A07C-C12919B0AE11.jpeg

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

This is what you get when people just say random BS. Because they are so uninformed that they have no clue. When the numbers come out around March of 2021 these people will either say they didn’t say it or ignore the thread.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackke...n-anxiety-stress-depression-and-suicides/amp/

18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It varies around the country and for good reason. But this is not relevant to my earlier comment to you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    yes it does.

20. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    So ready for this to be over

• Agree Agree x 3