Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Be careful. You will get the “you’re killing granny” BS from the Coronabros.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    Got to learn how to read that teleprompter

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The ignore feature helps. I don't have to see the nonsense from the trolls.

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    In all seriousness, Granny should be sheltering if she's that concerned, right?

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

For sure, but you know how they are. Everyone should stay home until a vaccine arrives. I mean I’m sure the increase from kids going back to in person school should be picking up any second. We heard the same thing when sports started back up also.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    We just lost a paramedic who works for the transport agency in our county. Ran many many calls with him over the years. Not the most fit guys but certainly not someone who was expected to pass in his late 40s early 50s if that. His sister died yesterday. Just an awfully sad situation. I have stated this over and over, while I never supported economic shutdowns I think people who refute the potential severity of this don't understand the randomness of it.

• Friendly x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    After our Ring of Kerry day we went and visited some castles and ruins of castles. More driving narrow roads where 18 wheelers share narrow roads with tractors and cars. Sometimes it felt more like slot car racing but proud to say the car was returned without any damage, Shifting with the right hand was challenging at times and although there are some highways in Ireland most routes were on those narrow two lane roads. We visited the Cahir Castle, Rocks of Cashel, and the Blarney Castle. Rocks of Cashel were more like ruins, Cahir Castle was smallish but location of lots of movies, and Blarney Castle was the largest with manicured grounds.

Rocks of Cashel - On a hill, two distinctly different churches built by different kings with the smaller of the two still standing. Cormac's Chapel (1130) and the Cathedral (1270) share the hill but only the Cathedral remains intact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cahir Castle (1375) learned that all staircases in the castle towers were built clockwise so the guy coming downhill (defender) could use his right hand to fight with and his left hand to brace himself against the wall and the invader trying to go up would have to use his left hand for his sword hand putting him at a big disadvantage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blarney Castle (1210)- home of the Blarney Stone. legend was those who kissed the blarney stone were granted the gift of gab. You had to lay down on your back, hold two rails and then tilt your head backward and slide to the wall to kiss the stone. I passed, figure my line of bs is strong enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manor home at Blarney Castle. Not open to the public and not used by the family that owns the castle but was an impressive structure from the outside. Botanical and sculpture gardens surrounding the castle were large and impressive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    sorry to hear that. those that think this thing just needs to be allowed to spread seemingly have no understanding of how many first responders and healthcare workers are being put at risk by people who are needlessly infected because they refuse to mask up and spread out. Sad reflection on our society as to just how selfish so many are that they just don't give two chits about the risk they end up putting others at. Needless suffering and death born of selfishness combined with willful ignorance encouraged by our potus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    I hear you man and sorry you had to see that, but I hear from firemen and EMTs the opposite. Randomness? Sure. If you look at the Kentucky stats, there's some randomness in there. But if we're being real, random tragedy has always happened in life. It sucks and my heart goes out to his family, but as Spock once said, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. We just can't shelter for the next 5 years because something random might happen, imho. And what of all the other immunities we build up by regular socializing? We could be making ourselves more disease prone than less in some cases.

By all means, I do not intend to be dismissive of those lost to this virus, but the stats clearly show that the vast majority are either already beyond their life expectancy (ie it would have been something else anyway) or they are already had a pre-existing condition. For those at higher risk levels, sure, you should be more careful. But the vast majority of working and school age people are very low risk. We are going to end up doing more damage than good.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    freedom and liberty!

11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Never been more disheartened about where this country is headed than I am now because of everything politicized.

Our own fire chief put out a statement that he expected the virus would go away after November even while we had a healthy LT hospitalized from the virus. Stunningly tone deaf and potentially career suicide to put it writing given the fact we had multiple line personnel with various degrees of symptoms at the time. Using responders opinions of the severity of the virus as some sort of legitimate expert opinion isn't really valid given how affected people have become by their respective political affiliation.

I say this as someone who thin
    Never been more disheartened about where this country is headed than I am now because of everything politicized.

Our own fire chief put out a statement that he expected the virus would go away after November even while we had a healthy LT hospitalized from the virus. Stunningly tone deaf and potentially career suicide to put it writing given the fact we had multiple line personnel with various degrees of symptoms at the time. Using responders opinions of the severity of the virus as some sort of legitimate expert opinion isn't really valid given how affected people have become by their respective political affiliation.

I say this as someone who thinks the virus is legitimate but somewhat overblown, mishandled and most importantly flat out just not understood yet but has also been politically weaponized by both sides

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I missed it, was it from the latest trump rally, super-spreader event?

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Believe it or not, when it comes to my and my family's physical health, politics do not enter. Some people politicize everything. This is a virus. Why should it be politicized at all? It's indiscriminate and does vote blue or red.

One look at the stats, without the rose-colored goggles, tells you all you need to know. I have a 0.01% of catching and dying from Covid-19. Does that mean I'll be careless? Of course not. Why invite trouble? The ones politicizing it are typically the ones taking it to extremes. It is what it is. A very low risk situation for most working and school-age Americans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Why are you posting your vacation diary in a thread on Covid impacts and deaths in the US? They are great vac pics but maybe start a new thread. Then others can also post their vac pics, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    as a distraction/diversion some of us post hiking pics or other pics to remind us of the good things in life. some of us have been doing it throughout this thread for quite a while now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    US coronairus: Most of the US is heading in the wrong direction again with Covid-19 cases

In 31 states, the number of new Covid-19 cases has increased by at least 10% this past week compared to the previous week, according to data Sunday from Johns Hopkins University. Only four states -- Delaware, Hawaii, Louisiana and Michigan -- have had decreases of more than 10%. Fifteen states are holding steady, including Alaska, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and Washington state.
    …………………..……………………………………………...
    "A couple of weeks ago, as we went in to Labor Day, we were talking about exactly this -- and our worry that coming out of Labor Day, as we've seen after Memorial Day and July Fourth, we'd see an increase," he said. "And unfortunately, we're walking into the fall, where weather gets colder. We're going to spend more time indoors. So this is not where we want to be as a country right now."

Utah set a new record high of 1,117 cases on Friday, Gov. Gary Herbert said Saturday. Herbert extended Utah's state of emergency until October 20. Wisconsin also reported a record number of new cases -- 2,533 on Friday. Health officials urged people to stay home, keep at least 6 feet of distance from those outside their household, and wear masks in public.
    …………………..
    Dr. Abdul El-Sayed, an epidemiologist and public health expert, told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Sunday the guidance formalizes the CDC's previous recommendations. "What it means for folks is those masks are critically important," he said. "They are the most important way to stop those aerosols from coming out of our mouths and noses and then getting in to other people's mouths or noses."

17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It has been a welcome distraction. And he has been doing it for several weeks now. I believe it started with posters posting pictures of their hikes in the US and elsewhere and being aware of social distancing while doing so. They have provided great pictures of the parks, trails, mountains, etc., in the US and around the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    here are some numbers from this weekend, from worldometer.almost 2 million tests reported, never seen that many on a weekend. there were a little over 76,000 new cases, so a very good 4% positive rate, and 950 or so deaths reported over the weekend. question is, it has been 2 weeks since labor day, where is the feared upturn, and I know weekend numbers are usually low, but not this weekend, so, if it does not occur this weekend, are some people going to say keep waiting, it will come?if I am wrong, and we see numbers in the 60,000 daily new case range like after the last 2 holidays I will admit it, if we do not, some on this thread need to acknowledge that we are really making headway, not keep saying they will eventually come.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    on july 4th there were a little over 50,000 new cases. 2 weeks later there were 2 days of over 70,000. where are they now, 2 weeks after the holiday?

20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't even know what to say to this.

• Winner Winner x 1