Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Don’t they all? Well at least most seem to deteriorate into the same hyper-biased political back and forth; same posts from the same people.

Also, posting just in case this really gets bad

10 Edible Insects For Survival

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He was forced to because of everyone going nuts about it. One death set everything off. Now with an astronomical 6,500 cases and a apocalyptic 100 deaths (of which 50 are in Washington state with the majority of them from a nursing home), we are going to set off a depression. I'm looking at the numbers between what a depression would do and the worse case of the virus and I'm taking the virus. We are looking at a worse case of 2 million elderly and compromised people dying from this but a depression could lead to more than that. The Great Depression actually killed more people than we lost fighting WWII simply because it lead to starvation and sickness. You haven't seen it already? I've been to 6 Publix and 3 Walmarts and the basic necessities are gone. No meat, chicken, milk, water (not a biggie - by a Pur jug), sanitizer, tp. That's now, but what happens when the supply chain is broken in a depression? No trucks loaded with food will even get to the stores. Possible hyperinflation making a loaf of bread equivalent to a week's worth of pay. Trump was trying to avoid that but it didn't work. Too many social media sites, too many media outlets making a stink about it. So we have created this out of fear. I'll take getting the virus over a depression. Sign me up right now! You guys can have the depression. 2 weeks of possible misery over years of definite misery, doesn't take a nanosecond to make that choice.

His only choice now is go into this with a full head of steam and somehow prevent the Greatest Depression. I don't think he can stop that from happening now.

3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Good point. It's certainly diverged from the subject, and I'm as guilty as anyone.
    IMPORTANT - Please use this thread for discussion about the state of the virus in the United States. Take the Trump/Media stuff to the Trump changes tune thread.
    Please.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I posted a few days ago about a friend on another message board. His elderly Dad had pneumonia and a fever but his doctor (at the Mayo clinic in Jax) couldn't get him a test. Well after several days without being tested he eventually got one and is positive. Let's hope he was treated as if he had it and nobody got it from him. He's now in the ICU.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Are you a doctor or an epidemiologist? Do you have any expertise in infectious diseases? Because here's what people who do are saying:
    Register to read | Financial Times
    The team, led by epidemiology professor Neil Ferguson (an expert in pandemic response) projects that had the government continued pursuing a mitigation approach, that could have led to an estimated quarter of a million deaths in the UK alone (and 1.1-1.2m in the US), with demand for intensive care beds outstripping supply by a factor of eight to one. The suppression strategy, they predict, will lead to “a few thousands or tens of thousands” of deaths. So still very grim, but less so.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Blah, blah, blah, blah.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    We have the battle of science vs. ignorance. Right now, science is winning, but I don't expect ignorance to just give up. As this thread shows, we're in for a hell of a fight.

• Best Post Ever x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Aside from the numbers, the timeline is what really got my attention. I've been hoping we would be getting back to normal in 3 months. This indicates we will be peaking in three months, maybe four if we do a good job of slowing the spread.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Science huh?? So you are really willing to destroy the world's economy over low grade fever and aches???

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson released from the hospital following coronavirus diagnosis - CNN

This is what the vast, vast majority of people would get from this, even IF( and that's a very small if) they got it.

No,, thank you. The game plan should have been from the beginning to protect the vulnerable, and have everyone else carry on. No need for panic. No need for the stock market to lose 30% of its value, no need for small businesses to shut down. No need for $1.2T stimulus packages.

To borrow a phrase from Urban Meyer: Nut Up!

Mark my words, the vultures that make up the majority of your profession are just waiting to cash in. Stirring the pot all the way to the bank!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yes, science. The scientists and doctors who continue to tell us that if we don't act swiftly, millions will die. But what would the experts know. That's why when I go to the doctor, I always overrule the doc and diagnose myself. Because I know best. You need to reign in your hubris.

Mark my words, if left unchecked, the vultures in your profession will pocket the bailouts and leave average Americans to fend for themselves. The vultures that make up the majority of your profession are just waiting to cash in.

• Winner Winner x 4
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You do understand the concept of exponential growth, right? You made this post 48 minutes ago and now we are up to 7,301 cases. And that is in a country that isn't testing. The way to stop panic was to test and effectively run the early response. Actual cases are likely much higher. Most people aren't going to just be okay with the millions dead option, sorry.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    harrumph harrumph, well if you tally the total number of deaths over the last thousand years from ingrown toenails you will clearly see that this coronavirus thing is totally overblown,... cough cough

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    That's why social distancing does little to stop the spread of these things.

14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Just in general we don't always have tests to dx every illness. People are treated with presumptive dx all the time.

Hope your friends Dad does well.

15. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Have to wonder about the food delivery or pickup they’re pushing in lieu of eating in restaurants. Sounds like you need to use your own dinnerware, utensils and napkins, and wash you hands before eating and after transferring the food and tossing the packaging.

And what about food at grocery stores? Much of it comes packaged in cardboard or plastic and is being restocked daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    As far as food from the store it seems that if you waited 3 days to eat it you'd be fine but does anyone know at this point?

17. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Science doesn’t care what you believe.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    The news agencies publishing all these worst case scenarios is a service I guess but seriously a little balance with good outcomes and better outcomes might be beneficial too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Wait a minute, Tom Hanks is 63. How did he survive?